cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to contol the headset with your computer.

No-focus
Honored Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a solution to be able to control the headset via a computer or even choose a video for the user ( who may have no arms for example) and cant use the headset themselves. Things like sending 360 youtube videos to the headset and me having full control to exit anytime.

I;ve looked at airlink and another one but nothing is accessible on mac?

Would anyone have any solution or knowledge if this is possible?

1 REPLY 1

Hi @No-focus 

If you're using a Rift or a Quest in Link mode, then all apps can be launched via the Oculus app on the PC.

But when it comes to controlling the app, the dev needs to include the function to control via PC within the app, which has never been done as far as I know. Except for a few games that use PC menus and then switch to headset when in-game, like Assetto Corsa.

A few app have a hands-free mode though, which allow the headset wearer to look at menu items for a set time which activates a button. 1944 Berlin Blitz and Titans of Space Plus are two that come to mind although I think you have to activate hands-free mode from within the app settings for Titans. Perhaps other people can confirm other apps that have this function. I don't know of a video playing app that has hands-free mode.

Your alternative is to use the mirrored headset image on the PC to control the app yourself using one of the hand controllers... you'd probably need to tell the headset wearer to keep there head still while you do this.

If it's a Quest in stand-alone mode then you'd have to cast to a phone/tablet and do the same thing, probably more difficult with the phone screen being so small.

Edit: Skybox is a great movie player and the dev sometimes visit's this forum. They have a feature request area on their site so could be worth asking for hands-free there: https://forum.skybox.xyz/t/feature%20request