cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed?

TazX
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Did search the forums and internet trying to find an answer/ solution for this issue. Let me summarize the problem:

I fly Prepar3D ... usually long flights above 2 - 3 hours. Once in the air, at cruise altitude, I might want to take the Rift off to stretch my legs, rest on the sofa or deal with othe physiological issues 🙂

The problem is that once I take the Rift off my head it turns off, and when I try to turn it on again it won't go into Prepar3D, which leaves me out of the VR world.

Just so you understand I have gone through different potential solutions, I have taped the Rift's forehead sensor so that it stays on, I use .reg files to start/ stop the VR Runtime, etc. But it seems that its not just the forehead sensor in the Rift that turns it off, but some other sensor within the straps or something else.

So basically my question: Is there anyway I can maintain the Rift ON whether I put it on or take it off? If not, is there anyway to be able to re-enter the VR World once the Rift has been turned off and goes back on?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

4 REPLIES 4

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Put something over the sensor so it remains on. The sensor is in the middle just above the nose gap. The other sensors could be movement based hence why simply covering the sensor won't work.

Edit: sorry just saw that you tried this already.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

TazX
Honored Guest
Thanks for the info. Yup, tried that already. It works partially, until I take the Rift off ... there should be a way to maintain the Rift on whatsoever, but ... no luck yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have a solution but just so you are aware, one of the reasons they have the proximity sensor in the HMD is to prevent 'burn in' on the screen. So just keep that in mind if you are leaving it turned on for a long time, you could damage the displays.

TazX
Honored Guest
Read about it FrozenPea; thanks for the tip. That's why I have two .reg files to start/ stop the service. So that when not in used I can disable the Rift.

IMHO, I don't mind the turn-offs if we are able to resume the game within the VR world once the Rift is put on again. The problem is that for most games, at some point you are going to have to take the Rift off and re-start the game itself. 

Although tedious, on some games you could save progress and come back once you put the Rift back on. On others, like Prepar3D/ FSX, you cannot do that if you are flying for a VA in realtime.

Thanks for the advice nevertheless!