cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reset/recalibrate sitting position.

peterg2000
Explorer
Right now it looks like my head is just through a hole in the floor and when I stand it feels more like I'm sitting. Can I just re-run the setup, or will it reset the library as well?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a VR application, use the menu button on the Oculus remote (the bottom one that looks like an Oculus logo), there is an option on the right side that you choose by looking-and-clicking which checks your position and re-calibrates.

What did you enter during setup as your height? If you entered your standing height, it ought to put your view at that height after a scan, so do the re-calibration while standing.

I'm pretty sure that's all right, but welcome corrections if I've got it wrong 🙂

peterg2000
Explorer
Thanks but that seems to reset your view in the app you're using, but I was hoping to reset for all apps. Re-enter the correct height as I may have put in the wrong values during setup.

Pete

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gotcha.

Oculus Home (desktop view, not in-headset) -> Settings -> Devices -> Configure Rift -> Reset Default View in VR.

That lets you re-enter your height without doing a full setup.

peterg2000
Explorer

Ah , That's what I was looking for ...

Thanks

Pete

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
I have noticed that over time it seems like I slowly sink into the floor and I need to reset the sensor position again.

M4R7lN
Honored Guest

When you came here from google like me you will be disappointed. It is no longer possible to play in a seated position they removed the option completely. Safe your time and trash your headset. Get a vive or valve 😞

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Ignore M4R7IN, the ability to play VR content while seated has not been removed. It entirely depends upon a given app if it supports seated play or not. And most can be played while seated, even if it's not expressly supported. Unless the app requires full body movement like Drop Dead or Super Hot VR you can probably do just as well seated as you could standing up. Granted, some apps like Creed or Beat Saber might not be ideal while sitting down.

In short, if the app lets you move and turn using the thumb sticks, you don't have to be standing to play it. Your PoV might be lower, depending on the app. And depending on the type of chair you are sitting in some actions might be harder. But the game is no less playable. I tend to play Arizona Sunshine while sitting down half the time, for example.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Ok then. I'm ignoring myself and go back to fallout vr and keep playing in toddler position thanks for the solution 🙂

Facebook can't "remove" seated VR play, because VR headsets have never expressly had a "seated play" feature. Specific apps might have a seated mode that adjust your PoV height upward when sitting down. But that isn't something the headset's OS it's self is doing. It's all on the app's developers.

As I said, it's not always ideal. Sitting down to play some games ends up with your PoV being at waist height in-game. By no means is this a game breaker, although it may mean you have to stand up sometimes when looting to see what's in a crate or on a shelf. In others it can make accessing your inventory/belt items a bit of a pain. But the games are playable in this way and always have been.

There are games that don't work at all when sitting down. Super Hot VR for example requires you to physically move out of the way of bullets, physically turn to see in other directions, and bend over to grab stuff on occasion. Drop Dead requires you to physically dodge incoming projectiles and physically turn to see enemies around you too. And while Beat Saber can be played while sitting down, it's better to play it while standing up. Better still to play while using a room scale setup.

Then there are apps that don't really benefit from you standing. Or were you really expecting to stand up to watch a movie via Big Screen or other movie streaming services, stand up the entire time you're watching youtube, and browse the internet while on your feet? Because I can almost guarantee that nobody else is expecting you to do so.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.