cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't wanna be that guy... but my plan has been ruined

NoxWings
Explorer
I was planning on updating my old desktop setup in may 2015 expecting to get the most out of my money to play the VR dream with the CV1. Hopefuly at a more affordable price (maybe graphics cards price lowered and so on).

But yesterday my 6870 HD died :cry: and now I'm wondering:

1.- Should I buy a new gfx similar to my dead 6870 and keep-on with the 2015 plan to buy a completely new system when CV1 comes out?

2.- Should I buy now the graphics card that I'll be using with CV1 when it comes out? (And maybe the whole new system too)

3.- Should I wait with my laptop until October when the new 870-880 series comes out? Could this drive other card prices to get lowered?
8 REPLIES 8

raidx
Protege
I would wait to see what the 800 series look like first in term of benchmark

you can always get a 750 ti for around 130$ and sell it back in less than a year for 80-100... that would be a cheap temp solution

Sparky83
Honored Guest
I would recommend buying a R9 270X (a little bit better than 7870) for now and get a top gpu later for cv1, when the performance has increased and the prices are already lower.
Previously owner of DK1, finally owner of DK2.

equusvenustas
Honored Guest
I never seen a graphics card fail, thats weird, did you overclock it? did you know at what themperatures was working most of the time? i am curious to know what happened.
I would sugest you to buy a medium range card, even you could buy a used card just to keep you running in the mean time while you wait for new GPUs and the CV.
Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!

uvflyer
Honored Guest
I would just go for a good second hand card for not to much money. I sold my hd7950 after 1 year of use for 100 euro and bought it for just 30 euros more. Thats a loss of just 30 euro in one year. Cant recommend you something different.

doodlepip
Honored Guest
Depends on your budget, think 800 series are going to be expensive on release.

Paul33993
Honored Guest
I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a GPU right now. Even an 880 would have issues driving a lot of things with the CV1. Wait until there's a significant bump next year (GPU's will finally be getting a die shrink after being stuck there since the 6XX series.)

NoxWings
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate your help.

@raid , @uvflyer
About buying a card and selling it later sounds like a good plan to safe most of my money but I'd prefer not to deal with it, I don't know if there is much "market" around here to sell graphics cards (I mean where I live xD).

@equusvenustas
About my card dying, this is the second one in my life that suddenly dies (previously a 9800 GTX died). And nope, no oc at all everything running at stock speeds. This time the card (6870 HD) died while I was watching a fullscreen youtube video! LOL. And I never noticed any weird temps with it, always running at about ~40ºC idle and ~70ºC while gaming.

@doodlepip , @Paul33993
About my "plan" I didn't plan to buy any 800 on release. Maybe around mid 2015 where prices are more stable. Furthermore It does not necesarily had to be a 800 series it could have been a 780 maybe.

NoxWings
Explorer
Finally I've found a pretty cheap Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X for 209€ (take in mind that for most consumer electronics here in europe 1$ translates to 1€. Yeah it sucks). I think I'll take this one and start upgrading my pc now.
Then if I see that the R9 280X cannot deliver a stable 60fps 1440p even with low details experience with CV1 I'll have to sell it after all and buy a new one.