cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I'm just a bitter old man.

inovator2
Expert Protege

I just heard prices of the Nvidia 3000 series are going down faster than anywhere else in Germany. Meaning closer to the list price where it should be anyhow. Even before the pandemic etc. we had supply problems. If this is the way it's going to be than f..k pc vr and I wish pc vr would die.

16 REPLIES 16

Thats interesting. I need my PC for working on my project and the VR games I have but FS is probably the only reason for me to get a new PC. Having said that some other VR title could emerge in the next year or so that demands the grunt.

The Steam Deck is interesting but I can't quite decide what to make of it. I do my gaming at my desk and many of the non VR games i play probably demand more than the Steam Deck can give, at least when its 4K big screen, i'm no good at gaming on small devices, except for Plants vs Zombies on the tablet, never could get used to the controllers either.

I'm also using my Quest (stand- alone) more for VR than the Rift these days. But yeah, that would probably change if i could get FS running smooth... or I start playing Fallout VR again 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

My biggest addiction is flight sims - DCS , IL-2, and MSFS 2020. Right now DCS is getting most of my time learning the F/A 18-C Hornet and flying carrier ops with it, great fun. IL-2 for WWII combat, and only a little of MSFS 2020 sprinkle in here and there for just some relaxing flights. Huge learning curve with DCS but the reward is worth it. I have not done any gaming on monitor since getting the Rift CV1 back in Jan 2017. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@inovator2 wrote:

I just heard prices of the Nvidia 3000 series are going down faster than anywhere else in Germany. Meaning closer to the list price where it should be anyhow. Even before the pandemic etc. we had supply problems. If this is the way it's going to be than f..k pc vr and I wish pc vr would die.

Always appreciate your passion, buddy 😁

The problem with GPU supply has been a thing ever since both crypto mining and AI/MachineLearning/DeepLearning became mainstream.

When you say you wish PCVR would die, it sounds like you are blaming PCVR for the supply issue. If that is the case, then I assure you that it is not PCVR causing any of these issues at all. I mean heck, one could argue that pcvr is already dying  lol

Granted, PCVR will never truly die... but it is quite tiny compared to every other market in its category.

Deep Learning and Crypto Mining are the reason scalpers are taking up all these GPUs, my friend. 

Besides, the 3080 isn't even really a gaming card anyway, it's a Workstation Card. A fact well established when the card was thoroughly analyzed.

Check out the benchmarks for Deep Learning when comparing the 3080 to the 3090:

https://bizon-tech.com/blog/best-gpu-for-deep-learning-rtx-3090-vs-rtx-3080-vs-titan-rtx-vs-rtx-2080...

If the flailing PCVR market did die then trust me... the GPU supply issue would still be alive and well. 😯

I agree 101% with all you said.

I do understand the circumstances that causes these shortages. I can have a very dry sense of humor. Especially to vent my feelings.  I know PCVR will not die. But the key to understand what I meant was the word I used and that is wish. I wanted another card but now if they became reasonable I would just stick with my 1080ti which is good enough for now. Especially with the psvr2 that will come out. With its foveated rendering, eye tracking and awesome controls that will most likely scratch some itches. I will leave my mind open for a better card if let's say a quest pro comes out with awesome specks.

@inovator2 wrote:

I agree 101% with all you said.

I do understand the circumstances that causes these shortages. I can have a very dry sense of humor. Especially to vent my feelings.  I know PCVR will not die. But the key to understand what I meant was the word I used and that is wish. I wanted another card but now if they became reasonable I would just stick with my 1080ti which is good enough for now. Especially with the psvr2 that will come out. With its foveated rendering, eye tracking and awesome controls that will most likely scratch some itches. I will leave my mind open for a better card if let's say a quest pro comes out with awesome specks.

No worries. I felt the dry humor but I also took it as an opportunity to clarify what is the most likely culprit of causing those GPU shortages.

Also, I had a typo in my last reply. I meant to say that the 3080 is more of a "workstation card" as opposed to a gaming card. It does more for Deep Learning than it does for gaming overall.

I think it is a great idea to stick to your current GPU. I'm doing the same. If and when I do upgrade, I want to make sure I am targeting a GPU that is truly meant for "VR Experiences," as opposed to just another high-end Workstation Card that is being falsely marketed as a gaming card.

Regarding PlayStation VR 2, I am very much excited about it as well. I still regret not purchasing PSVR 1, however, I realize that I would have spent all that money just to play RE7 in VR lol. Especially considering that the other PSVR titles that are worth playing were already ported to PCVR: Moss and Batman Arkham.

If the next iteration of PSVR is backwards compatible, then I should be able to still play RE7. However, that assumes that I actually purchase PSVR 2... which will highly depend on the amount of VR Software available to support it.

I feel that PSVR and PCVR both suffer the same problem: A lack of high-quality VR software. 

After 5+ years of VR gaming and experiences, I have become quite picky about what I spend my time in. I no longer enjoy "VR for the sake of VR." I need something truly compelling in order to justify the money and time investment. I will be keeping a close eye on PSVR 2 for sure tho!

I recently played and enjoyed iron man on psvr. As far as software, if the rumor that playstation is going to push developers to make a vr option on their flat games comes true, I'll be as happy as pigs taking a mud bath. I've always believed  that is part of the answer at least in the near future. I would have heart palpitations if they said god of war will be in vr. Even the older unchartered or tomb raiders series would raise my blood pressure.

@inovator2 wrote:

I recently played and enjoyed iron man on psvr. As far as software, if the rumor that playstation is going to push developers to make a vr option on their flat games comes true, I'll be as happy as pigs taking a mud bath. I've always believed  that is part of the answer at least in the near future. I would have heart palpitations if they said god of war will be in vr. Even the older unchartered or tomb raiders series would raise my blood pressure.

Yes, that would be amazing if the entire Playstation software ecosystem (or close to it) had a VR Option. Even if it is just the new releases going forward that would be amazing. And a real winning strategy.

In fact, this goes along with something John Carmack said years ago. He openly stated that we should focus on porting as many games as possible over to VR, instead of focusing on the idea of "made for VR only."

Admittedly, I was one of those who championed "made for VR only," and I was never a fan of ports. But SkyrimVR changed my mind!