cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been using my Vive for a while and now it's time for The Rift

schmeltzer
Protege
Hi,

I have both headsets but because my old pc couldn't handle the Rift but could handle the Vive I have been using my Vive pre-dominantly. But a while back I got my new PC and I started to use the Rift.

My thoughts:

1. No Roomscale (yet)

Not gonna lie: I really wish Touch was released. I have to give HTC/Valve probs for Roomscale and tracked controllers.

BUT:

2. Ease of use and comfort:

Wow, this matters a lot to me! I turn on my pc and xbox controller. Put the headset on and GO. It fits really well, no hassle with headphones, the cable is not heavy, no need to start extra software. For me it's plug and play (well except for having to finish an install of a game, what is up with that?).

Both headset have their benefits and when I demo VR the Vive is my go-to headset. But when I want to play a game, the Rift is my first choice. Unless I really feel like doing some roomscale stuff, but after a long day of hard work, that's not always the case.

Not sure why I wanted to share this, but I just did :smile: 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, the ease of use with the Rift is unmatched. I got mine last night, and it was a breeze to setup and use. This morning when I woke up, I wanted to play some Windlands, so I just got my Rift and put it on. Home launched on its own and the whole experience was seemless. 

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I know exactly what you mean.  While I only own a Rift, even something as simple as moving my racing chair into position or having to set up my HOTAS for Elite can be a hassle.  While it seems minor, there are times I simply choose to do something else rather than spending a minute setting things up. 

The easier these devices are to pick up and play, the more people will choose to do so.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, I actually feel the opposite!  I fee like my VIVE works much better than my RIFT.  Of course,  I'm still waiting for my Rift.  It's sure funny that I got my VIVE before my RIFT, even though I ordered it well after.   I do have a DK2, but I still find the VIve is superior.  I think the VIVE feels more stable than the Rift, as it always starts right up- however my DK2 tends to be finicky about starting depending on what configration my comp is.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I would definitely expect the Vive to be superior to a dev kit. The Rift is very easy to use so far, i'm loving it. I don't quite get people saying that it doesn't support room scale, hear me out: If you go to the spaceship in Farlands you can walk all around in there, as far as you have physical space and cable to move. I even crawl around on my knees just to look at the floor tiles and glass windows on the sides - I am able to fully move around in my computer room and the Oculus tracks me without any issues every inch of the way. Many experiences support this as well - i've started playing Albino Lullably standing up and walking/turning physically instead of using the joystick, which makes it a much better experience. I agree that the Touch controls are going add so much more to the experience, and I love the Vive, but the Oculus Rift is fully able to support room scale experiences right now. Even walking around and under the tables in Pinball FX2 is awesome!

schmeltzer
Protege
@GenetixStudio 

I do a lot of standing up and walk around a few steps as well. And the tracking is spot on. But because Oculus doens't have a chaperone system (yet), I feel less confident doing it. Still looking forward for Touch though.