cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just preordered the CV1

michaelm9945
Sightseer
I've held myself from buying the DK1 and DK2 over the years. I've been waiting to buy the CV1 when the Rift is at its best. So, I have a few questions

1. Will both DK1 and DK2 games and Apps work on the CV1?

2. I've noticed that all the games have something like "SDK version" attached to them. Is this something I should take into consideration when playing the Rift? like do I need to update the SDK on my PC?

3. The estimated Delivery is July for my Rift. I read that the Rift will be released for Delivery starting March. Will my Rift come a lot sooner than July? is July just an estimate?

4. And finally, can you recommend a first time game to experience the Rift at its best? I don't want my first experience to be a game. I want an experience like Affected or one of the Rollercoaster games. What would you recommend?
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. most of DK1 & DK2 Applications will work with the Rift. Moders are all over the place : ]

2. the Oculus SDK is the program which basically set and run the rift. SDK 1.0 is the "final" consumer version. You will not have to worry about it when you get your rift.

3. Maybe, but do not hope too much !

4. Can't tell what is best for you : ] Lucky's Tale and EVE Valkyrie are not bundle with the Rift for nothing : they're good first VR Experience ! Also I heard a lot of good critics about ADR1FT, I think it will be cool for a first experience !

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"michaelm9945" wrote:
1. Will both DK1 and DK2 games and Apps work on the CV1?

2. I've noticed that all the games have something like "SDK version" attached to them. Is this something I should take into consideration when playing the Rift? like do I need to update the SDK on my PC?

The SDK version is the big thing to look at here. A DK1 or DK2 game/demo will work in a CV1 only if they've been compiled using a recent SDK. Unfortunately, many of those apps/games were built using an old, out of date SDK, and never updated, so will not function in your CV1.

"michaelm9945" wrote:
4. And finally, can you recommend a first time game to experience the Rift at its best? I don't want my first experience to be a game. I want an experience like Affected or one of the Rollercoaster games. What would you recommend?

You do NOT want a Rollercoaster simulator to be your first VR experience, those things are horrible in VR and should be avoided unless you never get motion sick (that's their problem, they tend to give people motion sickness because your eyes see you moving but your body doesn't feel the motion).

r00x
Adventurer
Welp, for me Elite:Dangerous was my first "holy s***" VR moment. I'd certainly recommend that, but if you preordered you'll end up with Eve Valkyrie bundled anyway, which is also impressive. That or Lucky's Tale are probably going to be the VR firsts for many because they are bundled with the preorders.

in6seconds
Expert Protege
Rollercoasters and sky diving vr games are boring to me and don't feel real at all.

I feel sorry for the people that waited for the cv1 and didn't get the dk1 or 2, there were alot of good demos on the app store ( south park, dbz, aquatic classroom/dolphin test) that will most likely not be remade for the cv1

michaelm9945
Sightseer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole point of the DK1 and DK2 was to make games available for the CV1? What would be the point of releasing the CV1 if most of the Rift's library of games aren't even going to work

Bloodlet
Rising Star
"michaelm9945" wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole point of the DK1 and DK2 was to make games available for the CV1? What would be the point of releasing the CV1 if most of the Rift's library of games aren't even going to work

To even phrase it as "most of the rifts library of games" is misleading. The majority of what hasn't been updated to newer Oculus SDK's were little more than tech demos and can't really be classed as games. Anything more than that will have been updated or will be updated to the new SDK 1.0 on or shortly after launch.

Don't worry about it. By the time you receive your CV1 Rift there will be plenty ready for you to try.

As has already been said, you'll receive Eve Valkyrie with the bundle. The first time your ship gets fired out into space and you get to truely look around, your jaw will drop and you'll probably start to cry. There's your first time game experiance right there. 😉

in6seconds
Expert Protege
"michaelm9945" wrote:

dk2 was supposed to be the final version, cv1 is by facebook

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"michaelm9945" wrote:

They will work, as long as the developers are supporting their games. If a developer isn't bothering to update their software to use the newer SDK, that's that developer's choice.
"in6seconds" wrote:
dk2 was supposed to be the final version, cv1 is by facebook

You mean Oculus, Facebook makes no decisions about how Oculus works.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Any software that is build for 0.7+ SDK will be compatible with CV1 (SDK 1.0), lot of coders are waiting the SDK 1.0 to update their software, and yes DK2 is compatible with SDK 1.0.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz