cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was always worried that FB would destroy Oculus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rift user for over 18 months....incredible tech at a decent price. Initially I did almost go for the Vive due to FB purchase of Oculus as, lets be honest the FB megacorp do have a habit of crushing/ destroying innovate tech:

https://www.windowscentral.com/oculus-rift-2-everything-we-know-so-far

Lets look at the facts:

 - Nate Mitchell leaves & CV2 canned .....founding father leaves for extremely valid reasons
 - FB/Oculus push on standalone Snapdragon based pieces of inferior product (in other words, lack of understanding that your customer base is PC users!!!!!)
 - Loss of focus and lackluster game releases (I'm a developer and like tech demos as much as the next person.....but quality has declined over the last 12 months (however, lone Echo 2 is a singular shining beacon of hope!!))
 - Oculus Medium is incredible and continues to innovate (vulcan ... game changer)

Will be interested to see if this post makes it past the moderators. Hope it does as CV1 is awesome and despite any negative connotations in this post, I believe VR is the future of gaming.

Worst comes to the worst, there is hope (would prefer to stay with Oculus, but will jump ship if a decent next gen product comes out via a competitor): 

https://www.wareable.com/vr/valve-vr-headset-half-life-game-6716

Moral of the story, know your customer base! Neglect them/disenfranchise them at your peril!



 
18 REPLIES 18

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Without that Facebook money, I think VR would be in trouble. Facebook has the kind of money to make the long-term investment needed. 

I think Zuckerberg is a billionaire nerd who really loves VR. If he were a pure businessman he wouldn't bother because there are far easier ways to make money. PC VR is a niche market. We should be thankful for any support we get. 

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nate Mitchell is still there, you're talking about Brendan Iribe. And we have no idea why he left. We have no idea whether the CV2 has been cancelled or not. We'll find out next year at F8 in May and Oculus Connect 6 in September/October what's happening with the CV2.

I suspect that the Rift S talk being released next year with inside-out tracking is a complete load of old bollocks. What sort of a name is the Rift S? It has to be an alleged product name because all other Oculus codenames have been places in California.

And the recent change regarding the Oculus LLC changing to Facebook isn't going to change anything, they've simply done this for tax reasons.

Contrary to what some people believe the Oculus PC VR sky isn't falling. Imo we'll see the CV2 being revealed next year and releasing in 2020.

Anonymous
Not applicable



 - Oculus Medium is incredible and continues to innovate (vulcan ... game changer)

Can you tell me more about this please? I tested Medium in the early days but never needed it for any purpose and I don't install Vulkan as nothing I use needed that also...

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

Without that Facebook money, I think VR would be in trouble. Facebook has the kind of money to make the long-term investment needed. 



I have heard this excuse towards why the Facebook acquisition was a good thing, but as Sony, who started the ball rolling have come away semi-happy, and now we see a major investment from Samsung, as well as the LG/Valve thing - I wonder if that is a factual statement, or more likely - just that Facebooks $3b brought them a big table at the start?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:


MowTin said:

Without that Facebook money, I think VR would be in trouble. Facebook has the kind of money to make the long-term investment needed. 



I have heard this excuse towards why the Facebook acquisition was a good thing, but as Sony, who started the ball rolling have come away semi-happy, and now we see a major investment from Samsung, as well as the LG/Valve thing - I wonder if that is a factual statement, or more likely - just that Facebooks $3b brought them a big table at the start?



You may have a point with Sony but the others? Nope. With regards to hardware you may have a point with those others but without the investment into developers that Facebook, Sony and to a lesser extent HTC have all made VR wouldn't be where it is today. People wouldn't be buying the things if there were bugger all decent games to play.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I see your point @snowdog - I am always mind full that at the time of the acquisition we had Valve looking at a open architecture partnership with OVR - and that the acquisition was the impetus for the HTC/LG (and new Samsung) partnerships - that the Valve VR Room system superseded OVR and the free loaner was actually used by OVR R&D as a concept reference makes me wonder if VR would be in such the mess it is in regarding consumer if that path had been allowed to take its course?

But in reality the infusion of $3billion Dollars had its part to play in the landscape of today.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Fazz
Honored Visionary
I'll entertain the jumping to another headset post when there's another headset that's cheap like the Rift and is worth jumping to. Until then these posts are a bit pointless because there isn't another headset that's cheap enough and worth jumping to. I think when there is such a headset that Oculus will either be close to releasing something of their own or will announce something not long after.

The competition is weak at the moment. Yes we have the Vive Pro and the Samsung Odyssey plus, but the Vive Pro is ridiculously expensive headset and the Samsung Pro doesn't have the tracking that people really want. There's also a review on here from someone who returned the Samsung Odyssey plus, because they wrote that visually it looked the same as the Rift even though it has a higher resolution. Maybe that was down to them trying to cover up the screen door with that new tech they have. I noticed from their display images that all it did was increase the blurriness, which I have to say is something I hate..

Maybe people need to support Oculus more instead of anticipating their demise..

ennogs
Expert Protege

snowdog said:

Nate Mitchell is still there, you're talking about Brendan Iribe. And we have no idea why he left. We have no idea whether the CV2 has been cancelled or not. We'll find out next year at F8 in May and Oculus Connect 6 in September/October what's happening with the CV2.

I suspect that the Rift S talk being released next year with inside-out tracking is a complete load of old bollocks. What sort of a name is the Rift S? It has to be an alleged product name because all other Oculus codenames have been places in California.

And the recent change regarding the Oculus LLC changing to Facebook isn't going to change anything, they've simply done this for tax reasons.

Contrary to what some people believe the Oculus PC VR sky isn't falling. Imo we'll see the CV2 being revealed next year and releasing in 2020.


We know why Brendan Iribe left.  He left over because the CV2 that they have been working on was stopped.  CV2 that was being worked on is no more. 

Fazz
Honored Visionary

ennogs said:


snowdog said:

Nate Mitchell is still there, you're talking about Brendan Iribe. And we have no idea why he left. We have no idea whether the CV2 has been cancelled or not. We'll find out next year at F8 in May and Oculus Connect 6 in September/October what's happening with the CV2.

I suspect that the Rift S talk being released next year with inside-out tracking is a complete load of old bollocks. What sort of a name is the Rift S? It has to be an alleged product name because all other Oculus codenames have been places in California.

And the recent change regarding the Oculus LLC changing to Facebook isn't going to change anything, they've simply done this for tax reasons.

Contrary to what some people believe the Oculus PC VR sky isn't falling. Imo we'll see the CV2 being revealed next year and releasing in 2020.


We know why Brendan Iribe left.  He left over because the CV2 that they have been working on was stopped.  CV2 that was being worked on is no more. 



Do you have inside information that says CV2 isn't been worked on? Because Oculus has already said that PC VR is very much been worked on and we will hear about it in the coming months. So where's your source of information that it's not been worked on?