cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to know if it is possible to downgrade the oculus link, and if so, how to do it.

yamatomy
Level 2

My PC's CPU is an intel(R) core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz.
It is a little low to use the oculus link, but it worked in previous versions. However, with some updates some time ago, the audio became strange (always choppy), the link crashed suddenly, and I often lost connection with oculus quest.

So I think that downgrading the oculus link will fix this problem. Perhaps a better CPU in my PC would fix it, but I don't want to spend the money and time it would take to do that.

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt that your hardware is the issue, I have a monster PC and have the same issue. Very unhappy customer. Hopefully Oculus/Facebook will take this seriously.

rocknrolz
Level 4

I have the same issue. It is very easy to tell just by listening to the choppy, stuttering audio. You don't even have to be in a game, it is very apparent even in the link home environment. 

Quest 1 is unplayable via link all of the sudden. Quest 2 is playable, but the issue is still there. I've been using link for a year and have loved it so much. I've had no hardware changes.

ohgrant
Level 9

Not sure what you mean by downgrade the cable, but no I don't think that will work. The I5-3470 is not even supported for first gen Rift CV1. Your processor is 9 years old now and the fastest 1155 CPU is the 3770k, also not supported. That means there is no upgrade path for your mainboard to work with link.

Sorry to say I don't think there is any resolution to your issue without building or buying a whole new PC. Here is the compatibility requirements, good luck.   https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

It looks like per Oculus, the minimum processor is (or at least was) the Core i3-6100. According to UserBenchmark, yamatomy's I5-3470 is 10% faster than it. Also I don't believe he was talking about downgrading the cable, but the software version 25 to a lower one that was previously working. 

ohgrant
Level 9

No the minimum for link is I5-4590. I started with a similar system with .DK2 then CV1 except with a 3770k even then it was not supported and had to put up with the "your CPU doesn't meet..." banner.

There are no supported socket 1155 processors for link compatibility. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that my PC's CPU performance was a "little lower than the recommended specs", not a "little lower than the minimum specs" of the oculus link.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not an hardware issue, I have a I9-9900k and RTX 3080 with the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not an hardware issue, I have a I9-9900k and RTX 3080 with the same issue