cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to post something other than complaints or requests for help

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I understand that lots of people are new to VR and naturally will look to those who have experience to help with their problems, but this forum is starting to feel like the support site for people who aren't satisfied or can't be bothered with the support of Facebook (or can't use Google).

I have answered more than my fair share of questions for struggling people, but I come here all the time hoping that there will be something interesting to discuss. It might be rumors, or people talking about a game that they really like to get others to try it out, I don't know.

I'm just tired of scrolling down the first page and realizing that the only interaction I can have with other VR enthusiasts is to help them solve a problem.

Now before you say, "well start a thread then" I plan to make some posts in hopes of getting this going a bit.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

52 REPLIES 52

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:
 The absolute worst would be the suggestion made on here that this forum was going to move to Facebook Horizon. 

lol - in hindsight that does seem like a terrible idea. And honestly, I can't remember who made it. I feel like it totally could have been me who suggested that during a brief moment of lunacy. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I haven't tried any Facebook groups but I've always thought of them as less anonymous... and slightly more geared towards getting you to spread your interests (i.e. promoting the group) with people you know. As I say, haven't used them so may have completely the wrong impression.

In truth, the experiences on Facebook are going to be unique to each person based on how they use it, which groups they join, how active they are as contributors, etc.

But in general, I think what Rune may be referring to (since I noticed something similar to what he described) can be compared to going to a big 'ol rock concert. You have 10,000 people all packed in one place. Everyone is there for the same reason, similar interests, etc. You may talk to some folks, but then they get lost in the see of people. The chances of you running in to the same person again is very rare unless you make a point to stick together.

There's a general sense of anonymity (i.e. feeling alone in a room full of people) that can take place in certain settings. I've spoken to quite a few people in the comments section of posts on Facebook. But I don't recall their names, faces, etc. The few connections I have made were the result of us going out of our way to keep in touch. Mostly through PM's and adding each other to our networks. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

kojack said:
 The absolute worst would be the suggestion made on here that this forum was going to move to Facebook Horizon. 

lol - in hindsight that does seem like a terrible idea. And honestly, I can't remember who made it. I feel like it totally could have been me who suggested that during a brief moment of lunacy. 

Nope, not you. 🙂

Although looking at the thread now (it was in november) it was asking if the forum should move to horizon, not saying that it will.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2