cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is OLED the future of VR ?

Tadin
Level 7
I just read the article below and it looks very interesting. They are talking about using solar panel technology to create a 10,000 pixel per inch OLED screen that would be ideal for VR headsets.....

https://www.popsci.com/story/technology/vr-headset-display-tech-solar-panels/

I know a few of the forum gang would be highly interested in that 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

RuneSR2
Level 15

Tadin said:

I just read the article below and it looks very interesting. They are talking about using solar panel technology to create a 10,000 pixel per inch OLED screen that would be ideal for VR headsets.....

https://www.popsci.com/story/technology/vr-headset-display-tech-solar-panels/

I know a few of the forum gang would be highly interested in that 🙂

Oled was the very start of VR, lol. 

Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive vs PlayStation VR Battle of the high-end  headsets - ExtremeTech

But yes, I'd greatly appreciate to get oled back - without losing tons of subpixels.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Level 11
Yeah i wish they had just went lcd from day one, that way i would never have seen the best possible screen for vr, now all we can really hope for is possibly oled becoming the standard for vr hmds in future iterations of hmds, but it is a bummer to go from oled to lcd, i have been swapping between the Q2 and Psvr with skyrimvr over the last few days and even though the PSVR is way down in res per eye it just wins hands down on those oled black levels and vibrant colour hues, and also no god rays, i don't know what lenses Sony used in the psvr but even 4 years later they are still fantastic, and yes the Q2 wins hands down on res per eye assuming you fit into its limited ipd....but damn this industry and Oculus for hooking me with pure silk in the guise of the CV1, but will only now offer me man made polyester, that works, but it will never be pure silk. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.