cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SONY killing it with grabbing exclusive VR games?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Announced today following on from HITMAN for PSVR and the news that PSVR 2 is in the works, DOOM 3 for PSVR at the end of this month. Some other games also announced for the Playstation platform today such as Fracked from nDreams.  

Interpret the question in one of two ways. Sony taking exclusives means it's stifling VR as a whole, or this is great news Sony investing in VR so readily to further the cause. 

Cue Resident Evil VIII PSVR exclusivity (again).

Oh, and here's the Fracked trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiwgUwtJjEA

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
8 REPLIES 8

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Sony is doing what sony does.  Claim exclusivity to hurt others, but the implementation will be crap, and use decades old tech.  

its kinda moot at this point as doom 3 is on side quest for free but you must own an original doom 3 game file.

https://sidequestvr.com/app/2651

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Honestly, this feels like a question that has been asked and answered many times over since 2016. We saw the debates over Oculus exclusives, where exclusivity in VR was treated as "bad." But then suddenly Valve releases VR exclusives and magically... VR exclusives are a good thing.

The answer seems to be the same today as it has always been: Exclusives create competition, and competition is good. People can buy multiple platforms anyway, which is much easier today now that Oculus has made VR so **bleep** affordable with the Quest 2.

Exclusivity has been around since the beginning of gaming, I don't think VR could or should be any different.

I have no idea what the exact effect it has tbh but the fact that it exists, I think, shouldn't be seen as a threat, just a part of market forces. Each company wants to promote its own business, that's life.

I bought a washing machine that has an exclusive sportswear program.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

F*** this new forum. I just made a post in response to the above, wasn't signed-in and then when I submitted the post lost it when I did sign-in. 

Mods, why do I keep getting signed-out every time I visit here? What option am I missing?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Hmm, Shadow it sounds like you need to remain "exclusively" signed in 😘

No idea about that one... I seem to remain logged in ok on all my devices now. Possibly a cookie setting in your browser?

ohgrant
Superstar

With all respect to the OP, it is a rhetorical question at this point. I only tried PSVR once but found the resolution to be unbearable by todays standards.

Platforms have always had exclusives that PC players have lived without. 

There is a mod for Doom 3 already for Quest 2 that uses the original games assets, not BFG edition. It runs so much better and even looks better than that first PCVR mod that uses the BFG edition version.

Now that the Quest 2 has become the most used PCVR headset in Steam VR, has it's own growing mobile library of games. Great AAA game mods such as Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Half Life... Great 3rd party games that often surpass official Oculus store games such as Warplanes. I would have to say no to your question. 

Being Sony had such a lead in platform VR I would say the only thing they are killing, as far as VR goes, is their chances of remaining competitive. They squandered their advantage and are only starting to discuss VR again because Quest 2 is killing it.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

falken76
Expert Consultant

It's good.  Competition is good, it promotes innovation.  Sony is an 800 lb gorilla and it has been involved in video games as console participant for 27 years now (My god I'm old as dirt, I still consider them to be new because my peak interest in video games was the 16 bit era when I was a kid).  They're an established gaming company.  AAA companies that already have deals with the playstation pancake side are far less reluctant to develop for a platform that has an installed user base already on a proven platform with a quarter century of history under it's belt, than say an industry that is largely dominated by indie style games and the target demographic complains that a game like Onward with a MSRP of $24.99 is "too expensive".  It's no wonder they have great exclusives, they have the AAA companies that already are contracted to make their other games.  They have existing relationships with these studios.  Sony will have great games that are on the level of PCVR gaming.  Quest will still have it's "Wireless mobil, not tethered to a computer" selling point, so it'll have different kinds of games.  But competition is good, we need better software (games). 

I've had VR for almost 5 years now.  In all this time, and all the games I've purchased.  I only play 2 games.  Onward and DCS world.  I find most of the VR games to be boring.  Maybe the competition will inspire the developers to make better games.