cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone in the middle re: Facebook acquisition?

Jose
Heroic Explorer
I'm not happy at all with the Facebook stuff for a lot of reasons, but I'm still gonna hang out here and make things for the Rift.

Everything's so polarized here now. Are there any other "VR agnostics"?
10 REPLIES 10

Shadowless
Honored Guest
If I have to do anything related to Facebook, I will have to back out. Reason being: Facebook used to be a good company. Now they just steal all your information and force you to log in through facebook on so many things.

They can own Oculus VR, but if they mess with it in any way shape or form that resembles how Facebook runs, I'm out.

Frito
Explorer
Im cool.
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
I have negative thoughts, because it's Facebook, but I see why it can be a very helpful thing in the long run.

I believe most people will fall into the middle once their kneejerk reactions subside and they have time to think about it.

Jose
Heroic Explorer
One of the things that's tripping me out though is that there are some unpopular members on this forum who have made some conspiracy theories about Oculus. And I'm starting to think that maybe they were onto something.

I see this the same way I see google. It's not going away, and I still use google even though I don't trust them. But I feel like I have to be more careful now.

I guess this is the nature of the new internet.

vrfanboy37
Explorer
I don't like facebook, but I've never been forced to log in thru facebook. I'm often given the option to, but that's slightly different. I don't think facebook will do anything to ruin Oculus. We've all known the internet would go VR, just didn't think any big internet companies would realize it so soon and jump on board.

kaetemi
Honored Guest
I simply do not trust Facebook, that is the only issue.
Perhaps we should propose a contract between Oculus and the developers which are purchasing the DK2, since it is an investment for us developers, to ensure that FB does not have their way with the consumer version. That could hopefully cover the trust issue.

Frito
Explorer
"Jose" wrote:
One of the things that's tripping me out though is that there are some unpopular members on this forum who have made some conspiracy theories about Oculus. And I'm starting to think that maybe they were onto something.

:lol:

I cant wait for their opinions on the subject...

PD>

Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

DavidMulder
Honored Guest
1) People do not trust facebook, 2) Backers feel like stakeholders too, investing their time and money in a company they trusted... so yeah, that group especially has is extremely negative. Then there is a group that just considers the long term consequences this could have, potentially damning or negligible (=> positive), and from what I have seen they are slightly more conservatively negative. And then there are gamers (not the devs as far as I can tell!) who don't care about anything except getting their VR fix who are simply believe Palmer is going to give his 1.something billion to Oculus and that Oculus will suddenly now be rich and will be able to do whatever they want. I dunno, it's kinda hard to be neutral here, if not for the fact that getting bought by a big company tends to turn out badly, then already for the reason that most devs seem to hate Facebook is enough of a reason to be negative. The only way to be positive is when you don't care about anything and if you're like that you won't end up neutral either. 😞

Vylen
Honored Guest
In the short term and immediate future, nothing should really change with the acquisition. We'll still get our DK2's and there will be a CV1 all for gaming and other things we've been doing for a while now.

It's just that the future of doing the "impossible" that Facebook envisions is obviously an uncertain one. What ideas do they have? Why does it require monopolizing the company to do it?

If Facebook wants to allay some fears, they need to show some of their hand.