cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Climb worth $50?

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
I've been pretty interested in the Climb for a while. It's not the type of game I'd usually play, admittedly I'm more excited about Robinson The Journey from Crytek, so I was hoping it would of just been a fun little game that's priced at like $20, maybe $30. But turns out its nearly the price of a full game.
So is there enough substance there? That seems like quite a lot to ask for a climbing simulator. Albeit a very pretty climbing simulator, but still. 
Anyone have thoughts on this?
62 REPLIES 62

Heatherlee
Protege

I'd love games like this to sell for $35 or less... I'd also like games developers to make enough money to make it worth their while to make future AAA dedicated VR games... I just don't see those 2 things going together until the market is massively bigger.. if we (as VR enthusiasts) don't buy games like this at the price I assume will enable the devs to carry on focusing on VR... then I'd be less optimistic about VR's future than I want to be

It's not an easy line. As a developer/publisher they have to pay people's salaries which are fixed. They can't just lower it per title. Naturally VR is a big thing...but to sell titles for so much to find market share really doesn't seem like the thing to do.

It's like people who buy video game consoles at $499/$599 and then of course have to buy the launch titles. The titles however have more content..more quality than just "oh it's in VR". Right now devs are not pushing these titles as much as they can. It all seems rather plain and simple for the price. Again...I'm guessing the VR environment makes the game development slightly more difficult...but I doubt it.

Essentially when you make a 3D game...you make the entire level/environment. It shouldn't be that hard to affix a camera to the main game's model.  A lot of it honestly just seems like advantage taking.

A friend of mine is a developer at a VERY POPULAR games company so I'll ask him his thought.

But as for what I believe..it's not to make profit or justify the ends. It's simply one thing...greed. They want to see if they can push shorter games to the VR market at a higher cost. I don't think necessarily any of these games out are worth more than $30 tops for the SMALL amount of sheer content and terribly repetitive level design.

It just seems like devs want to be able to say "Hey look we made 1/3 of a game and sold these many units! VR is the way to go! And if we make 1/2 of a game we normally do for consoles, we can work half the time and still CASH out!"

OK I just put my money where my mouth is. If it's no good, I'll come back and edit all my posts

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
It's worth it.  I say that as someone with a decent amount of disposable income mind you...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

I agree/disagree* with your assesment @Zoomie,

*will delete as appropriate in about an hour's time

Synthetic
Rising Star
testers have had it good for a while now, free or low entry fee on many VR games so far, so its understandable that The Climb and other VR games now for sale get the criticism... now its full release scale

cybereality
Grand Champion
I think the game is premium quality, from a AAA developers, so I understand the price. Aside from that, this game is INTENSE!!! OMG. I just tried 2 of the "Easy" levels, and I was literally breaking a sweat. This game is no joke. I'm afraid of playing the higher skill levels. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Synthetic
Rising Star
Its a good job, hey cyber  😛

mambo1888
Rising Star

I can't believe people here are ACTUALLY claiming their arms are "sore" from holding TRIGGERS on a Xbox Controller.

I hate heights and I think thats what makes this game more intense for me. Ive never had sore arms but my trigger fingers are sore after 20 minutes or so from squeezing so tight, Its a natural response if you have a fear of height. I sometimes work at height, ive seen me come off a scissor lift with my feet and legs aching because im clenching them without knowing while up there. Its easy to work up a sweat too playing this when you start getting into it and are racing up for a high score.

I wouldn't say I bought it out of hype, more curiosity to try something a bit different than what Ive tried previously in VR. Thats exactly what I got, a very nice game thats fun to play and offers a different experience from anything else Ive tried.

Synthetic
Rising Star
I wondered why I was getting so sore... then I realized im pressing the triggers so far in and tight that the case is clipping on your fingers James!

jadflat
Honored Guest
For me it's worth it, god knows how much I've blown on Gear VR and Rift games that are barely more than tech demos.  Granted it could be longer and have multiplayer, but there's definitely plenty of reply value with the online leader-boards, multiple paths and breathtaking views