cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an app to display a live feed from a Camera?

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
One of my (many) other Hobbies is First Person Flying.. This is basically model planes, with a video camera, video transmitters and goggles, such as this:

http://www.fatshark.com/product/1759.html

The problem with these goggles is that they are expensive, and have a tiny Field of View. And I keep thinking how much better the OR is and what a great tool it could be this application (but only using it as 2D goggles, with no head tracking).

And I just wondered whether there is already an app to do what I am looking for.

Basically, the PC would take in a live video stream (from an analogue source).. Process it, splitting the image in 2 and adding the correction.. And allowing it to be viewed by the OR.

Obviously it would not be 3D.. But the FOV would be AWSOME compared to what I have.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Jon
11 REPLIES 11

aiwaldmeister
Honored Guest
Just take a look at this project. They even did stereoscopic 3d and head-tracking with cameras...

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10256

Kel
Explorer
They did that with the Oculus living with lag experiment.

mrjazz
Honored Guest
Hi! I'm currently working on an application which does exactly that. 🙂
I should be done with it an be able to publish it within this week. Here is the feature list:
-runs on Mac and Windows (written in Qt)
-supports IP-Cameras (MJPEG), frame grabbers supported by OpenCV (Video4Linux, etc.), Blackmagic Decklink, iSight (Mac only), computer screen-mirroring with fluid 60Hz (Mac only)
-minimal latency, highest possible framerate and picture quality
-folders with panorama pictures can be watched comfortably, parameters for each picture are remembered
-movies can be watched (compatible to all formats and codecs the ffmpeg-libs understand)
-correction of rectilinear, equidistant and equirectangular mapping with special calibration screen and pitch adjustment => 100% accurate field of view without any distortion
-cameras can be either have a fixed orientation or be attached to the Rift with full latency compensation (augmented reality)
-adjustable distance of the virtual screen from very near to infinity (without altering the field of view)
-Everything seen can be instantly recorded as h264-videos by just pressing a key
-very sleek user interface
-Latest Oculus SDK used with all features enabled (timewarping, chromatic aberration compensation, etc.)
(-some features I won't write down here right now 😉 )
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
Good info.. Cheers all.. For my applicaiton there is an added complication.. It would need to support video fed in via an analogue source.. And this would have to be some kind of capture card...

Perhaps something as simple as this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-USB-2-0-VHS-TAPE-TO-PC-DVD-CONVERTER-AUDIO-VIDEO-CAPTURE-CARD-ADAPTER-...

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"aiwaldmeister" wrote:
Just take a look at this project. They even did stereoscopic 3d and head-tracking with cameras...

The problem with these projects is, they look nice on YouTube, but if you put on the Rift yourself, you will get nausea immediately, because the framerate is low, the cameras are not synchronized and especially the head tracking sucks as they typically neither compensate for the camera-to-display latency nor use the official Oculus SDK for a best quality experience.
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"jweaver" wrote:
Good info.. Cheers all.. For my applicaiton there is an added complication.. It would need to support video fed in via an analogue source.. And this would have to be some kind of capture card...

Perhaps something as simple as this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-USB-2-0-VHS-TAPE-TO-PC-DVD-CONVERTER-AUDIO-VIDEO-CAPTURE-CARD-ADAPTER-...

I think it should be compatible with the OpenCV capturing-libs and therefore with my application.

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
"mrjazz" wrote:
"aiwaldmeister" wrote:

The problem with these projects is, they look nice on YouTube, but if you put on the Rift yourself, you will get nausea immediately, because the framerate is low, the cameras are not synchronized and especially the head tracking sucks as they typically neither compensate for the camera-to-display latency nor use the official Oculus SDK for a best quality experience.

For the record, Lag or Framerate is not an issue for my application.. The OR would be exactly the same as my current goggles, but would have a much better FOV.

That said, the extra complication of running the OR would outweigh the benifits and I dont' think its a viable solution.. But I would like to try.

mrjazz
Honored Guest
"jweaver" wrote:
For the record, Lag or Framerate is not an issue for my application.. The OR would be exactly the same as my current goggles, but would have a much better FOV.

I know what you want, because I'm doing FPV flying by myself. I developed this app, because I realized how amazing it would be getting the FOV of a GoPro into the Rift, because their FOVs match almost perfectly. For getting the HD-signal through the air I'm using the DJI Lightbridge and a low-latency frame-grabber, and I can tell you, it's absolutely great. The bottleneck currently is the low resolution and picture quality of the DK1. But hopefully I'm holding the DK2 in my hands within the next two weeks. 8-)

mrjazz
Honored Guest
My application I was talking about is now online:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

Would be great to get some feedback from you. 🙂