cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time CV1 owner, spent one complete day with the VIVE.

maxpare79
Trustee
Alright guys, today I got the chance to try the VIVE for the whole day, my friend got his VIVE last week and today was the days I going over to do some testing.

Initial thought:
I went through the process like it was mine:
The box is really neat, superb packaging.
When I first saw the HMD, I said wow this is big, much bigger then the CV1, but still lighter then expected when seeing this beast.

Controllers:
The controllers have a nice feel, the only buttons that felt un-natural were the grab button then you pushed with your palm. I have small hands and maybe that was why, but every time a game used these it felt a bit awkward (Budget Cuts comes to mind)

Screen:
Then I put on the headset and went on to adjust everything, it might be just me but the IPD adjustment seems like a dud, I would go all the way up or all the way down the adjustment and I couldn't see a difference in the screen...
I did put my eyes as close as possible to the screen for a wider FOV, but in real life the VIVE doesn't have a much bigger FOV then the CV1, none that is apparent at least. And like a lot of reviews said, once you have the headset on, all the technical stuff kind of disappear, the only place where I did notice a difference, is the sweetspot, in my CV1 I can look around with  just my eyes looking sideways, up or down. On the VIVE if you use your eyes just to look around things get blurry, you have to move your whole head due to the sweetspot being smaller, minor annoyance that you get use to real fast. 

I did notice a difference in clarity as well in Virtual Desktop. I could spend a whole night browsing the web on Virtual Desktop with my CV1 but in the VIVE it might be a bit more difficult, the text isn't as clear as with the Rift.

Comfort:
Alright sure it's not the CV1, my CV1 barely touches my face and is the most comfortable thing ever, but the VIVE while being heavier isn't uncomfortable, the only thing is that it doesn't breath at all...I would get sweaty in the matter of minutes, sure I was moving, but the VIVE has no ventilation, I recommend to get one of those VR covers if you intend on letting friends play with it.
I spent the whole day in it (7hours) and have no neck strain or anything like it.

My friends also have some big over-the-ear headphones, that would add a cable dangling in my back as well,

I didn't notice anything wrong with the straps or the weight of the HMD, there is still a small nose gap but really smaller then the one on the CV1. 

Tracking:
Flawless except on one occasion where I was kneeling on the floor for some reason, I lost track of one controller...no explanation, but after a minute, it came back.

God-Rays:
Saw them once in a menu in Brookhaven experiment (you see the fresnel rings) but a non-issue, as it is a non-issue for me in the CV1.

Chaperone:
It works and it's really effective.

Cable management:
A non-issue, I would naturally just step over the cable, and so on, without even thinking about it.

Ease-of-use:
Ok we had a few problems sometimes launching games, sometimes it wouldn't start from the headset, had to start from the PC, it's clearly a less polish experience then Oculus Home, but minor annoyances. If you are used to the Big Picture mode on steam, it's the same thing. On-screen keyboard is a hit-and-miss too, it would sometime pop up sometime it wouldn't...weird behavior on that one.

As for getting in and out of the HMD physically, you kind of feel like an Astronaut, especially getting out of it. My friend would come to me to grab the controller, then removed the headphones, then the HMD...big win for CV1 on that front...

Fun-factor:
Ok I had a blast, a lot of the games that I will list below, don't have much replay value, but boy are they fun to try. Content is thin, that's the VIVE main problem, but when it gets something right, it's stellar. When I came back home, only thing I can think of now is Touch can't come soon enough, with the comfort of CV1 and Touch controllers, we have a home run brewing. The simplest things can entertain the heck out of someone in VR.

Ok here is a quick rundown of what I played in order that I played it:

The Lab:
Cool little tech demo, with one big highlight the Archery game...one of the best thing I did today, responds like a charm. The rest, maybe because we saw much of it online, it didn't impress me much. But VR virgins would get a kick out of all these little demos

Titlbrush:
Does absolutely nothing for me, I don't have much of a creative mind, but I could tell controls were responsive.

The Blu:
Cool but nothing special for VR veterans, something to show to the noobs.

Fantastic contraption:
I can say this is the only game where I felt that the REAL roomscale was used, not just standing up which most games use. In FC you move around your machine go on the floor, check angles, measure lengths, played 6 levels of it, really fun. I kind of wish there were more parts to use (wheels and 2 types of bars are available, that's it). It might get a bit repetitive in the long run, but I had to take myself out of this one, was really fun.

Job Simulator:
Really cool too, messing around is fun, did the Mechanic and the Clerk, but when I say games don't have much replay value, this is one of them...It was fun to goof around in 1h but I don't see people coming back to this. It's more of a showcase games when your friends come over

Brookhaven Experiment (Demo)
Now that was fun, but it's the only time everything felt kind of blurry, the graphics have something wrong...maybe because zombie come from far out and it's dark, I don't know it was super blurry but I still had a blast one of my top game of the day...You really feel like a badass headshoting zombies....This I would comeback to it (Full 360 game)

Waltz of the Wizard:
Kind of boring honestly, I saw the guys from tested playing around with it and it looked fun, but after messing around in the previous game, I was bored in it....the novelty of throwing stuff around was long gone when I tried this demo, so it was like I said really boring.

Space Pirate trainer:
Really cool, but repetitive.At first I thought I was a super badass and I didn't use the shield but I  couldn't get really far. With the shield and a bit of movement (1 or 2 steps) it was much better. BTW this a 180 degree game, nothing is behind you. I prefered Brookhaven because of the subject matter...Robots are not as inspiring as zombies.

Jeebooman:
Boring, enemies coming from everywhere, bad physics, don't bother

Holoballs:
Only time I did put the controller straps on. It's kind of like Arkanoid in 3D. I did stop playing this one because I was afraid that at one point I would dive to get the ball (which I have been know to do at Ping Pong and tennis) And I didn't want to break 1300$cad worth of equipment.

Audioshield:
Super Awesome, one of the best game of the day. Look I am not a dancer, I have no rythym, but in audioshield you just get into it, this one of the few games I could see myself playing more then once, especially with the amount of songs on the library...Really intense games

Budget Cuts:
Alright I was super hyped for this one, after seeing videos of it. But I was kind of bored in it. Teleporting my way around, throwing knife at super weak robots, I don't know I was kinda disappointed with it, a lot of time I wouldn't be able to teleport, can't remember the exact messages it gave me. And using the grab buttons is really un-natural to me, weird control scheme.

Cloudlands Minigolf:
Not worth it, no force feeback on the hits, weird force

The Gallery:
Ok this one was my most anticipated game. 2 hours and it is over (I didn't finish it, my friend did). It's a really slow pace game, lots of stuff to pickup and easy puzzles. I kind of felt in these old 2D adventure game, because you have to teleport everywhere, everything looks like a still frame, and teleportation is really slow (unlike Budget Cuts where you zap around). This is the game where teleportation annoyed me the most....teleporting like 3 times just to get up a stair is really annoying, it showed me the limitation of such a system. But still the most beautiful game on the VIVE, but no replay value and super short.

Virtual Desktop:
More blurry then on my CV1 and performance seems to take a hit, my friend has a better system then I (6700k vs 4770k and 290x vs 290) and we couldn't play Minecraft on VD without judder and on my CV1 it works flawlessly. ATW maybe???

Conclusion:
Sorry this is a long review lol. But I got the confirmation that both systems are great, I would still choose the CV1 because of the content library and ease of use. Also it doesn't get as hot.

Of all the games I tried today, maybe 2 or 3 (Audioshield, Brookhaven, FC?) had some replay value. My friends didn't own any sims so I couldn't try those. Original content is thin. But the VIVE is an awesome device to try...is it worth 1300$ (cad) with the content that it has now, maybe not, does it have potential? Hell yes, but HTC and Valve needs to pump some cash into the dev if they want things to pick up.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
23 REPLIES 23

nabeday
Honored Guest
Thanks to everyone for sharing there views on the Vive. I value the opinions of those who have tried both rather than reviews that don't offer like for like comparisons. I really like some of the features of the Vive and was on the fence as to what headset to get. Room scale was one of the biggest factors that in my case went against the Vive. I simply don't have the space for room scale. Comfort is the other big factor for me as I love playing sims, like Euro Truck Simulator 2, Elite Dangerous, Flight Sim, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. I want the most comfortable experience. Believe it or not the built-in headphones also pushed me towards getting a CV1, as I just want to pick up the HMD and get going without messing around with cables.

edmg
Trustee
Yeah, even though I never thought roomscale would work for most users, I was shocked when I cleared everything non-essential out of the spare bedroom we use as a computer room.. and Steam still said I barely had the minimum required space.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nabeday said:

...Believe it or not the built-in headphones also pushed me towards getting a CV1, as I just want to pick up the HMD and get going without messing around with cables.

Those headphones are really good. A lot of people didn't like the decision when it was announced, but Oculus nailed it, and it definitely benefits the Rift to have them integrated the way they are.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

edmg
Trustee
Another thing. Controlling the Vive's headphone volume seems really hard. I was watching Youtube music videos on Friday night, and my ears were ringing the next morning even though I have the SteamVR volume set to about 20%. I had a similar problem earlier in the week with Project Cars, after a few hours gameplay with the constant engine noise.

Not sure whether that's a Steam problem or an impedance-matching problem with my headphones. But it's something that's unlikely to be a problem with a headset that has built-in headphones of known impedance.

mambo1888
Rising Star
@maxpare79 @edmg 

Have to agree with the complaints of the Vive, I also found it uncomfy with the strap often causing pain on the top of my ears. The IPD took me a while to notice what it was doing but eventually I found a way of getting it right.

If you take it as wide as possible you might notice the border on the inside starting to become visible in the middle of the screen.

I would then reduce that until the border in the middle disappeared. (If I kept reducing I would start to see the borders on the outside coming in effectively reducing the FOV) So my sweet spot was between having the middle border disappear while keeping the outer border as wide as possible.

Im not saying it will definitely be the same for you but worth trying as I found it made a good difference.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
That's the beauty behind the simplicity of the Rift's ear pieces; they gently caress the outside as they inject fluid sounds of terror, na' mean?

mambo1888
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

That's the beauty behind the simplicity of the Rift's ear pieces; they gently caress the outside as they inject fluid sounds of terror, na' mean?

when I first ordered the CV1 I actually thought id rather use my own wireless headphones than the built in headphones but now they are one of the features Im looking forward to having most

ziphnor
Expert Protege

maxpare79 said:

Of all the games I tried today, maybe 2 or 3 (Audioshield, Brookhaven, FC?) had some replay value. My friends didn't own any sims so I couldn't try those. Original content is thin. But the VIVE is an awesome device to try...is it worth 1300$ (cad) with the content that it has now, hell no, does it have potential? Hell yes, but HTC and Valve needs to pump some cash into the dev if they want things to pick up.

Too bad you didn't try Vanishing Realms, its pretty amazing in my opinion. That in combination with Holo Ball and Holo Point honestly are enough to make it worth it for me (much more fun than regular exercise).

I am surprise that you didn't feel that games took advantage of room scale. In a game like space pirate trainer and brookhaven, or even the Labs archery demo, for example, i certainly did not stay put, but made full use of my play space. How much space did you have to move around in?

Did you try the Xortex in the lab? 
Windows 8.1 | i7 5820k@4.3Ghz | Asus Strix 980 GTX | Asus X99-A motherboard | 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 1TB Samsung 840 EV0 SSD | Corsair HX750i PSU

EliteSPA
Superstar
Are you guys experience problems with steamVR the last days? My controllers get out of sync and after that the headset when trying to run some demos. It works for a while and then boom gone..
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

maxpare79
Trustee

ziphnor said:

maxpare79 said:

Of all the games I tried today, maybe 2 or 3 (Audioshield, Brookhaven, FC?) had some replay value. My friends didn't own any sims so I couldn't try those. Original content is thin. But the VIVE is an awesome device to try...is it worth 1300$ (cad) with the content that it has now, hell no, does it have potential? Hell yes, but HTC and Valve needs to pump some cash into the dev if they want things to pick up.

Too bad you didn't try Vanishing Realms, its pretty amazing in my opinion. That in combination with Holo Ball and Holo Point honestly are enough to make it worth it for me (much more fun than regular exercise).

I am surprise that you didn't feel that games took advantage of room scale. In a game like space pirate trainer and brookhaven, or even the Labs archery demo, for example, i certainly did not stay put, but made full use of my play space. How much space did you have to move around in?

Did you try the Xortex in the lab? 

@ziphnor 

Oh man Vanishing Realm seems so awesome, but my friend didn't have it, I will definitely convince him to buy it next time

The play space was 2.5m x 4m.More then enough, but I didn't feel like Space Pirate and Brookhaven made me move a lot, 1 or 2 steps left and right but not much else...Space pirate is also 180 only so pretty easy to just move your shield and gun instead of your whole body. I had to dodge a few times but nothing more then maybe 1 step right/left.

Brookhaven was a 360 experiment, but I was so good at it (especially with the lasersight on lol) that I could pretty much head shot everything from a good distance, without ever needing to move other then turn around.

But like I said Fantastic Contraption really made use of what I would call true roomscale. Moving around your machine, kneeling, walking up to the cat. Only game I felt like I actually needed some space. 

I tried Xortex yeah, I think it was the first thing I tried in the lab. 

But I think I might have a definition of roomscale that is different then some people, and FC is what fits it the most.

@mambo1888 I didn't feel like the straps were uncomfortable at all. I heard the top of the ear story before, but I didn't experience any pain.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner