cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks as though it's not just the Oculus launch that's been a mess...

Anonymous
Not applicable
13 REPLIES 13

edmg
Trustee
Repeat after me: logistics is hard.

Both companies will sort out their problems, and then start shipping en masse. But there were always going to be problems in the first few days as they worked through issues in systems they'd never used before.

KBK
Protege
One requires seasoned logistics professionals to be in place at the planning stages, otherwise it gets messy.

The one basic thing that comes out of logistics issues, is...going in... never trust the logistics of any part of your supply and delivery chain, in any part of it's flow. Never. You can be screwed by a simple screw, in multiple ways.

You have to have back up plans in place for just a simple screw, in all of the myriad ways it integrates with your total reach in your entire complex operational chain.

Yes, logistics is hard.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Anonymous
Not applicable
True. But this is HTC. A company way larger than Oculus with years of experience in global product launches.

edmg
Trustee

notsram said:

True. But this is HTC. A company way larger than Oculus with years of experience in global product launches.

Do they actually sell directly to customers, though? I'd have thought most of their experience would be in shipping container-loads of phones to distributors or retailers.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whether they sell directly or not, they're surely large enough to be able to handle it? They sell millions of handsets on pre-order, so should be able to handle a couple of hundred thousands Vives 🙂

EliteSPA
Superstar
I think the biggest problem for both companys apart from the oculus misterious component is the CC fraud and banks to refuse to pay ... But why doesnt happen when samsung released the s7? there was only a delay of 20 days. So many Vive orders have been cancelled too.
Give me a time machine and send me to July 2016 😛
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Anonymous
Not applicable

EliteSPA said:

I think the biggest problem for both companys apart from the oculus misterious component is the CC fraud and banks to refuse to pay ... But why doesnt happen when samsung released the s7? there was only a delay of 20 days. So many Vive orders have been cancelled too.

Give me a time machine and send me to July 2016 😛

There were plenty of stocks of the S7 around launch. I ordered my Edge a couple of days after the launch. It arrived the next day.

przecinek
Rising Star
Unfortunately I got caught in that s***storm and can confirm it's utter mess for EU 😉 😉

Again, no wonder Vive didn't want to have their own forum.

The problem are not delays, that's already something I'm used to thanks to the Rift launch lol 😉 But it's the payment processing which seems to be a total fail. I contacted my bank beforehand to make sure money will be taken from my account no problem, and they were. I was charged ...but the payment was not fully processed anyway. If HTC doesn't authorize the payment my bank told me they will return me my money on the 8th of April. After that who knows what to do, who to call. Will next person in line take my spot? Should I wait to be re-charged? Their support seems to give every person a different answer.

Then, there's problem of Vives being delivered not with express but some kind of 7 day money-saver service. TBH that's outrageous considering HTC is charging way more than Rift for the shipment... Obviously I'm not even hoping they will refund my shipping charge they way Oculus did.

P.S Also you can't change your payment method / payment details the way you can change them with the Rift. So if you happen to lose you CC or someone steals your wallet - you're kind of screwed.

Chassit
Heroic Explorer
LOL. Good guy Oculus treating Americans and Europeans equally.

New conspiracy theory: Sony bought out all Fresnel lenses on the wild.

Or if Sony drops the ball also, there must be something in the VR space that some higher force really doesn't want us humans to see.