cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make me believe again!

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
DK1 was awesome, I was convinced VR was the main thing. Then DK2 arrived, really more of a iteration of DK1, slightly improved, but not hugely impressed. GearVR's only awesomeness factor is the fact it's mobile and user friendly, but no 6DOF and only slightly higher res than DK2 and no improvement in FOV.

So here I am sitting with 3 generations of released VR headsets and frankly, they're all just as uncomfortable to wear, they're all very similar when it comes to the feeling of presence/being-there, all similar specs in FOV, resolution still a bit grainy.

And then there's Crescent Bay and I hear equally impressive things about it as I heard about Crystal Cove, which DK2 is built on. It makes me wonder, is this it? Are we just looking at a stagnation on the 105°-110° FOV and under 4K displays?

Somehow I'm hoping for that mindblowing showcase of a headset with dual 4K panels and 180°FOV with one of those new magic fresnel lenses and full body tracking. But nope. Still a tethered black ugly headset with limited FOV and limited resolution.

I WANT TO BELIEVE..!
12 REPLIES 12

NoxWings
Explorer
"EarlGrey" wrote:
And I should have waited a few more hours :lol:

You were actually complaining about possible future specs and they haven't announce anything yet.

Today news are great, specially for developers. We have a planned release date to target, but no specs or news about a dedicated input controller. Even more we don't even know if they are going to provide a dedicated input at all. Input is a crucial aspect to build games around that control scheme.

Nekto2
Superstar
"EarlGrey" wrote:
Somehow I'm hoping for that mindblowing showcase of a headset with dual 4K panels and 180°FOV with one of those new magic fresnel lenses and full body tracking. But nope.

You forget about "full body presence feeling". So you are not like a ghost with tracking a hand though a wall. 😉
That is not real VR if you kick something and your real hand movement is not stopped with it!
It's so long to wait for the Matrix style VR! 😄

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
The pictures we have been shown are not Infinite Eye sized so no dual 4k for you, single 4k/dual 2kx2k max, 1440x2880 probably.