cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Quest Pro - the modification thread

Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is for the discussing and sharing of mods for the Meta Quest Pro. Let's hear what you've got.

I just received my Quest Pro this morning, and the first thing I did was attach my DAS strap. Started by wrapping the DAS around the back of the Pro's battery strap, then attached using velcro straps. I then used velcro strips to mount the arms to the Pro's arms, then secured using more straps. I even used some velcro straps to make a hinge for a 38mm 'tri glide' buckle I picked up from a local outdoors co-op store, sticking that to some velcro strips stuck to the top of the Pro's headset and front of the forehead piece. I then used a bit more velcro straps to secure the hinge straps in place. Works like a charm. I made a battery mount using a Vive wireless adapter cradle and strap from iFixit ($15 plus shipping), replacing 3x M1x3mm screws with 3x M2x5mm standoffs, screws and nuts. I used 3x pieces of some prototyping pcb I had laying around, as the grid of holes made it easy to mark and drill the holes for the standoffs, then used some JB-Weld to epoxy the 3x pieces together, allowing me to countersink the nuts and threaded portion of the standoffs. Pretty darn easy yet so effective.

I removed the tension dial of the DAS, and the internal gear disk that control the DAS' arms, as well as removing an internal spring. I reattached the tension dial and the top Vive logo'd plate that covers the screw holding it all together. The DAS' arms now move freely with the Pro's arms. The tension dial of the Pro's strap is a bit tight to turn with 2 fingers, but still turns just as freely. The earphones are extended as far as they will go, but are a just fit for my ears. There's no pressure on the ears, and they still sound amazing. And... it now has a top strap, which some had been saying the Pro still needed one.

Enjoy 🙂

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

47 REPLIES 47

Wow @Anonymous , that's quite a mod!

How does the weight feel? I've got myself an Anke 537 battery pack for the Pro but it's a big beast & way too heavy for the headset, I'm looking for a belt clip that's the right size for it.

I'm having some comfort issues with my big head... the tightening bands are a bit too thin and feel like a zip-tie around my head... the front/rear pads a bit too hard. I'm going to try putting together some padding on the inside of the side arms. If there's enough demand, Meta or third-party companies will start producing some fit packs.

Impressive mod though.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Anonymous  I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me that's the ugliest thing I've seen anyone do to their nice new Quest Pro so far, lol!  Hard to believe you did this right away.  But, as long as you're happy with the result that's the main thing I guess and thanks for sharing this mate.

I did add a simple top strap mod with some 3/4" Velcro strapping which makes it look pretty well the same as the Q2 top strap.  Helps take a lot of pressure off my forehead.  I also covered the front plate with a layer of soft Velcro and this feels a lot more comfortable than stock.  All feels a lot better to me and at least it still looks like a Quest Pro.

I actually find the stock strap speakers work very well and the sound is much nicer than my Q2.  I'll probably try some earbuds later.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a few hours, it feels just fine. The top strap is definitely a must, as without it, the comfort setup kept showing the slider dip down into the red, but with the strap, it stayed relatively in place. Also, as for the tension dial, I found it's actually pretty easy if using both hands... middle finger of my right hand on top of the dial, with the thumb of my left hand underneath the dial, sticking through the hole in the back of the DAS.

As for the tightening bands... those are supposed to allow you to remove and put on the headset like the CV1, where you set the tension and fit first, then you never have to touch it again. Simply pull the headset forward and upward to remove, then forward and downward to put on, starting with the back of course. That's for non-glasses wearers... you still ne3ed to crank open and closed with glasses. At least until WidmoVR releases something. I emailed them a week ago, and they replied saying they're already working on it. 🙂 I just know that with my glasses, I can't even use the light blockers... pushes the frame down on the bridge of my nose too much. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

lol... 😄

I needed the earphones, as I hate the onboard audio. Not sure if there's something different with the Pro than the Quest 2 or not, or if it's the positioning on my ears, but the DAS sounds way better on the Pro than the Q2. Way more bass at least. I also wanted a way to mount a battery pack, and I already did the Wireless adapter cradle mod for my Q2, so it's still the easiest mod in my opinion. iFixit is now the official supplier of replacement parts for various headsets, so $15 plus shipping each, I ordered 2 of them. If there's any interest, I'll post a how-to for the mod. I used M2 standoffs and screws, as M3's were a little big. Probably still would've worked, but screwing from the bottom side of the cradle might leave the screw heads too far out still, causing them to gouge into the t-bar of the DAS when attaching the cradle. I originally had the nuts on the bottom side and it did just that, so I changed it up. Looking at the BoboVR B2 battery dock, it might mount to the rear of the strap with some extra velcro here and there.

I originally wanted to velcro the top strap's buckle from the inside of the forehead plate, but I thought it might make it a little too bulky for the padding that's in there. This is the best I could do. At least I didn't velcro to the front of the headset. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention... even with the DAS, the headset still sits on the charger and charges properly.

@Anonymous  I'm also a glasses wearer (140x40mm, rimless Titanium frames,high index lens).  I don't have any problems putting on/off my QP headset without needing to loosen the rear wheel.  The supplied light blockers are not too bad.  They seem to let my glasses slide along them ok (most of the time).  Still kinda uncomfortable though and I've found it best to just not use them.  I thought that this would kill immersion but between my my 69.0mm IPD and getting the lens as close as possible I don't notice the light bleed without the blockers.  If 3rd parties come out with better facial interfaces I'll def give them a go.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was too chicken to try and lift the headset on it's own while wearing my glasses. I scratched my Q1 lenses within the first hour, even with the spacer. After that I was lucky enough that my headset needed an RMA for something else, so I got prescription inserts right away before even trying the Q1 with my glasses. I wasn't as blind back then though. 😛

Yeah, I didn't notice any real issue without the blockers, but then I was just watching videos, not killing zombies. 😄 I'm pretty sure VRCover will come up with something fairly soon.

Btw... one last thing I forgot to mention... I'll still have to watch that the Pro's battery doesn't somehow overheat now with the DAS' padding wrapped around the backside, especially when it's constantly being topped up by the Anker battery. I don't think there'll be an issue, but I'll keep an eye on it either way.

I think the problem with my head is I have to tilt the headset forwards a little to position it perfectly (it sits a little too high for me otherwise) then it's a little unstable and needs to be tightened to stay in place, especially when moving my head sideways.

As soon as I tighten it enough (which isn't massively tight)... those thin bands pull inwards into my temples and that's a no-no for me.

The top strap is a good idea though and as per @TomCgcmfc will probably help a lot with forehead pressure. I may wait for a company to bring out something together with softer front/rear pads, rather than mod it.

Another glasses wearer here, and it goes on/off no problem, in fact it's the easiest headset so far for that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found it sits a little high as well. With it positioned correctly using the comfort and fit screen, the bottom of the image is literally level with the bottom of my glasses, as if it were sitting on top of my cheeks. My Q2 would be positioned a little lower so I could actually look down, but now I have to tilt my neck to look down instead. I thought the Pro had the same vertical FoV as the Q2. It definitely has a wider FoV though.