cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@Meta: Seeing Quest as a family device

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be useful if Meta thought of Quest as ideally being a device that everyone in a home has access to... And then solved the problems that arise from moving to that context.

For example, there is financing - as would apply to smartphones.

Should we assume that more people per household would have a Quest? Should everyone have a mixed reality headset independently? (Mixed Reality would be a better goal than just VR)

Can that and upgrades to the headset be handled via a monthly subscription style model - as we might see with smartphones?

Also, currently the Admin account can share games with other users of the device. But there are cases where that doesn't seem to work very naturally and in some cases people with the same Admin account can't play the same game with each other.

So, should you be able to define a family that shares apps? 

Also, should there be a gaming subscription like Nintendo Switch Online, or a bit like Netflix, where for a regular monthly fee you get access to a fair amount of content?

'cus I've only had one for about a week, and I already feel that there is limited content - unless I keep buying games for $30 - most of which I'm not playing for very long, and feel awkward about just returning - in part because other family members might potentially like them (but they haven't even tried many of them yet)

Also, where I said this elsewhere, the whole user onboarding experience needs to be smoothed out.

There's awkwardness to everyone having to create their own Oculus accounts to have separate game profiles...

The headset should recognize that the user has changed more easily (use height and position and movement of controllers to determine if user has changed for now?) and you should be able to create new user profiles without needing to connect them to an Oculus / Facebook account.

It's almost easier for everyone to just login with a single account - but then you don't have separate progression in games.

I also think that the 4 accounts per device limit is unnecessary... A given device has as many users as it has, and sometimes you may just be introducing friends to the Quest.

There's no advantage in making the experience for showing the Quest to someone new more complicated. Right now, the Quest's user experience should be aiming at maximizing virality. And everything that gets in the way of that needs to be smoothed out.

Realistically, Meta has a short window of time before it experiences competition in the standalone space. So from both a business and user experience standpoint, it'd be good to increase the momentum... By making adoption easier all around.

p.s. Meta really should've gotten the issue of getting the right eye position solved before scaling up. I personally can't get both of my eyes into a position that they both see clearly on any of the settings available. So I have to accept a certain amount of fuzziness as a trade-off.

Which, if nothing else, makes productivity use cases non-viable. I don't like seeing my laptop screen in VR, with all the text being somewhat blurred... Or regularly having to look at things from one eye for max clarity.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous, thanks for the detailed and thoughtful feedback! I'll be sure to share it up with the team, but for now I'm going to move this thread out of the Ideas board.

For the Ideas board, it's best to make suggestions individually. That way other people can give each thought a +1 and discuss it. Also, that way if we announced that something is being started or under investigation, we can mark that ideas status.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous, thanks for the detailed and thoughtful feedback! I'll be sure to share it up with the team, but for now I'm going to move this thread out of the Ideas board.

For the Ideas board, it's best to make suggestions individually. That way other people can give each thought a +1 and discuss it. Also, that way if we announced that something is being started or under investigation, we can mark that ideas status.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This platform will need trailer model filtering to be successful at being a family devices...

Right now, it lays flat on the drawing board!