cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sickness For A Whole Day?

haneybd87
Protege
I was playing The Mages Tale last night and was getting slightly motion sick. It wasn't too bad so I pushed through it, which I really shouldn't have done. Now today I've been feeling nauseous all day. Is it normal for the effects to linger this long?
| Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming | Intel i7 6700k | Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard | 32gb Ripjaws V 2800mhz RAM | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVME SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD |

9 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
At first it can, best to take breaks for a while when you feel it coming on. After some time you will get your VR legs so to speak and it will be less and less, eventually hardly even bothering you. At least for most that tends to be the way it is, a very few might need to still take frequent breaks.

View solution in original post

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Yeah it definitely can make you feel awful for a loooong time.

The best thing you can do is what @dburne said and take it slowly - if you feel yourself getting sick, take off the headset and wait for it to subside. Over time it will get better!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The issue with sim-sickness is if you push it, it pushes back!

Best to take those rests and listen to your body.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

PhilSurtees
Protege
It could be that you have a vertigo issue and the VR has exposed it. Or maybe not.
I have Meniere's Disease and am really shut out of any full motion games. ISS gets me in about 60 seconds.
You can try a travel sickness medication, I recommend meclizine as it won't make you drowsy like dramamine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best way to build up a resistance to simulation sickness is to do the following:

1) Start playing Comfortable games/experiences and play until you START to feel a LITTLE odd or uncomfortable.

2) STOP immediately (best way is to press the Oculus button to bring up the Oculus Menu but keep your headset on).

3) Take a few long blinks and then remove your headset.

4) Take a LONG break, at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

5) Repeat 1-4 and once you can play for an hour without feeling odd or uncomfortable try Moderate experiences and then Intense experiences as your resistance builds up.

The worst thing you can do is power through it, because after a while your brain and body will start to associate simulation sickness with VR, meaning you'll be feeling ill every time you put your headset on.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
1. Be rested. Don't even try if you are sleep depravated.
2. I'd recommend pauses to be very, very long, if you want to go the safest route.
3. Beware. It's not true for everyone that you grow "vr legs". For many, including me, it's the opposite - I could go through quite a lot of HL2 and rollercoasters and such, but when my brain learned some bad habits, I started to have issues even with things that were just slightly uncomfortable before.
4. As much as someone might like it, better be sober while playing VR.

It took me many weeks to get rid of the problem, which after I forced myself through the issue in VR, suddenly started to appear even in non-VR 3D and 2D gaming. I still get a trace of the issue if I even play 2D FPS game and my mouse movement gets suddently paused (end of match, score table appearing, PC freeze etc.).
It's really important to not screw up at the beginning. Then you might become one of those "I grew my VR legs" people. 🙂
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
Lol. I think @cybereality is getting a little punchy there. Must have been set to automatic "support ticket" mode due to the current influx or order issues.  😄 

But yeah - "VR Legs" are definitely a thing. 99.9% of us went through it (some lucky individuals claim they never suffered from motion sickness, but they're few and far between". Follow the great advice given already. Some other things to help early on are turning only by turning your body physically, rather than using the thumbstick to rotate in games that allow it. Also, ginger can help to settle queasiness (ginger biscuits or ginger tea) - but only use it to help settle your stomach after stopping, rather than something to help you try and power through.

Be assured, though - you will acclimatise and it will get better.

Roaster
Rising Star
As far as lasting all day, yes it can and it's not fun.  I've never been vr sick, but I did get sea sick once ... the day *after* being on the water, and it was all day.  Never been motion sick since.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

DonkyBoY
Protege
@ haneybd87
Just like anything else bud, if you have a bad experience your brain remembers this and try's to stop / protect you from doing the same again.

This can be overcome but it takes time to retrain your self and acclimatise to being in VR.
There is no point in persisting once you start to feel bad it just gets worse and worse and as you say can last for days for some of us.

I have seen others mention ginger here they are 100% on the money with this, it helps to overcome this VR sickness / motion sickness for a while and allows you to play for longer and longer each time just don't over do it (every thing in moderation 😄 ).

When I 1st started with the DK2 within 10min's I would projectile vomit like you see in the exorcist movies (not very nice) and then have to sleep it off for a few hours.
The ginger helped me to build up my tolerance and play for and longer each session, now I can play over 12hours with out problem's.
(I am fine with sea sickness have been out in the open ocean where the big waves are and not a problem for me) 

I get the crystallised ginger and nom a single chunk 20mins before putting my headset on, I still do this after years playing in VR just to make sure cos I do not want to be sick like that again.

*note It also seems that the motion sickness med's and anti nausea med's do nothing for most with the problem.

Good luck and May the force be with you.
Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
At first it can, best to take breaks for a while when you feel it coming on. After some time you will get your VR legs so to speak and it will be less and less, eventually hardly even bothering you. At least for most that tends to be the way it is, a very few might need to still take frequent breaks.

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Yeah it definitely can make you feel awful for a loooong time.

The best thing you can do is what @dburne said and take it slowly - if you feel yourself getting sick, take off the headset and wait for it to subside. Over time it will get better!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The issue with sim-sickness is if you push it, it pushes back!

Best to take those rests and listen to your body.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

cybereality
Grand Champion
Please submit a support ticket. 
https://tickets.oculus.com
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

haneybd87
Protege

Please submit a support ticket. 
https://tickets.oculus.com

Uhh what?
| Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming | Intel i7 6700k | Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard | 32gb Ripjaws V 2800mhz RAM | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVME SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD |

PhilSurtees
Protege
It could be that you have a vertigo issue and the VR has exposed it. Or maybe not.
I have Meniere's Disease and am really shut out of any full motion games. ISS gets me in about 60 seconds.
You can try a travel sickness medication, I recommend meclizine as it won't make you drowsy like dramamine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best way to build up a resistance to simulation sickness is to do the following:

1) Start playing Comfortable games/experiences and play until you START to feel a LITTLE odd or uncomfortable.

2) STOP immediately (best way is to press the Oculus button to bring up the Oculus Menu but keep your headset on).

3) Take a few long blinks and then remove your headset.

4) Take a LONG break, at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

5) Repeat 1-4 and once you can play for an hour without feeling odd or uncomfortable try Moderate experiences and then Intense experiences as your resistance builds up.

The worst thing you can do is power through it, because after a while your brain and body will start to associate simulation sickness with VR, meaning you'll be feeling ill every time you put your headset on.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
1. Be rested. Don't even try if you are sleep depravated.
2. I'd recommend pauses to be very, very long, if you want to go the safest route.
3. Beware. It's not true for everyone that you grow "vr legs". For many, including me, it's the opposite - I could go through quite a lot of HL2 and rollercoasters and such, but when my brain learned some bad habits, I started to have issues even with things that were just slightly uncomfortable before.
4. As much as someone might like it, better be sober while playing VR.

It took me many weeks to get rid of the problem, which after I forced myself through the issue in VR, suddenly started to appear even in non-VR 3D and 2D gaming. I still get a trace of the issue if I even play 2D FPS game and my mouse movement gets suddently paused (end of match, score table appearing, PC freeze etc.).
It's really important to not screw up at the beginning. Then you might become one of those "I grew my VR legs" people. 🙂
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
Lol. I think @cybereality is getting a little punchy there. Must have been set to automatic "support ticket" mode due to the current influx or order issues.  😄 

But yeah - "VR Legs" are definitely a thing. 99.9% of us went through it (some lucky individuals claim they never suffered from motion sickness, but they're few and far between". Follow the great advice given already. Some other things to help early on are turning only by turning your body physically, rather than using the thumbstick to rotate in games that allow it. Also, ginger can help to settle queasiness (ginger biscuits or ginger tea) - but only use it to help settle your stomach after stopping, rather than something to help you try and power through.

Be assured, though - you will acclimatise and it will get better.