cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My feud with the Rift and a GTX 980M

Ardoneye
Honored Guest
There are mixed resources online about whether or not this works with a 980M graphics card. I managed to get mine to finally work after a fair amount of trial and error and a week and a half of frustration.

My rift would either stay solid orange, flash between orange and white or it would turn on for 10 seconds to a minute before flickering and turning off. Oculus offered to replace this immediately after I verified there was no fault with the cable. If I returned this however I would be unable to get a refund from the authorised vendor this was purchased from.

I assumed this was a power fault after troubleshooting so I then purchased a USB powered HUB and the same occured.
I bought a 4k HDMI to Mini display port adaptor and the same occured. I then tested this on a friends machine who had a GTX 1070 and this worked straight away with no issues.

One final attempt at a 4k HDMI to mini display adaptor this time but instead of opting for the slimline option I went for the slightly more boxy type. It worked straight away with no issues.

I can now happily play on my Oculus Rift with only the occasional micropause mid game whilst the hour glass loads which isn't any significant issue.
If you're having the same issues I experienced then get this adaptor for only £5.99 and your issues should be solved!: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KLWWKL8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2 REPLIES 2

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Glad that good stories like this comes around on the forum.
Offcourse most posts are about "faulty" devices and could make the rift look pretty bad for outstanders.
Then taken into account that offcourse people who got working units would have no need to come around a boring 2d platform as this ever again in their life !

Personally I havent had any issues whatsoever with my rift, and it have been worth every penny spend.
I simply love it.
Be good, die great !

Ardoneye
Honored Guest

KlodsBrik said:

Glad that good stories like this comes around on the forum.
Offcourse most posts are about "faulty" devices and could make the rift look pretty bad for outstanders.
Then taken into account that offcourse people who got working units would have no need to come around a boring 2d platform as this ever again in their life !

Personally I havent had any issues whatsoever with my rift, and it have been worth every penny spend.
I simply love it.

After searching countless forum entries and help articles and all of them suggesting setting USB power options, reinstalling Oculus and none of them worked and then a recent friend having the exact same issue which this fix worked for them too I thought this may help others who were struggling with the same issue.

I was very close to returning it and very happy I didn't 🙂

Indeed it's worth every penny and beats 2d anyday!