cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My few complaints.

Duncan_Disorder
Level 4
A month ago, my Oculus arrived and I have used it every day since that day. Now, I can imagine what it's like to swim in the ocean with a blue whale or what it feels like to fly in outer space. It's a remarkable device for gaming and I don't have buyers remorse. At £549.00, it's not cheap, but I don't begrudge spending this amount. Eventually, I'll also shell out £189.99 for the Touch. Hopefully, the price of this tech will be reduced over time. Still, it's worth every penny, considering the technology and the quality of design is exceptional. The device doesn't feel cumbersome on my head and it fits comfortably. 

While it feels lightweight and comfortable, it has a tendency to get hot. When this occurs, I start sweating and the screen mists up from the moisture. Oddly, this doesn't happen all the time. Even more strange is, the temperature doesn't make a difference. I've found myself sweating more on a cool day and on a warm day, nothing. So, it's totally random. I've found I can help reduce the heat build up sometimes by making sure I inhale with my nose and exhale from my mouth. Exhaling with your nose will build up heat. In effect, by inhaling, you suck out any warm air in the space of the visor. Still, I believe incorporating a slatted vent on the outside, that could block the external light, but allow the warm air to rise out would have been beneficial.

The only other complaint is the quality of the graphics, which I often find is fuzzy, like it's in low resolution. Very few things have crisp, clear graphics. Yet, I know the visor is capable of providing a crisp image. When I use Virtual Desktop (worth getting, by the way) and watch a film or play a non VR game, it's nice and clear. Since this is the case, I'm forced to ask myself a question. Is this more a case of the games not living up to the potential of the Oculus? If so, will games improve over time?      
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
For the fogging of the lens, you need to let the rift heat up before using it. I'm in the UK too and my rift lens are quite cold before I put it on my face and my body heat will cause the fog. If you open Oculus Home for a bit before you jump into the rift it will heat up the device and I won't get any fog. If I do it only lasts for a few mins while the lens are still warming up to my temp and then it will disappear for the rest of the session.

Once you've been wearing it for >30min do you still get fog? After this amount of time the lens should be the same temp as your body and not fog up. 

If you are still having problems I'd suggest getting a USB fan and point it at your face. Plus a nice bonus, it can also help increase presence if you are also outside in a VR game, as its like simulated wind 🙂


gutang
Level 4
The lack of crispness you notice in many games and not in others is due to whether the given app is running its own internal resolution upscaling. To compensate for games that dont automatically upscale you will need to run the oculus debug tool and increase pixel density override to 1.5 or more and your fuzziness will be gone.

Duncan_Disorder
Level 4

gutang said:

The lack of crispness you notice in many games and not in others is due to whether the given app is running its own internal resolution upscaling. To compensate for games that dont automatically upscale you will need to run the oculus debug tool and increase pixel density override to 1.5 or more and your fuzziness will be gone.


Now that's more like it. The difference is striking! My system is a beast and can easily cope with an override of 2.

Thanks so much.


FrozenPea said:

For the fogging of the lens, you need to let the rift heat up before using it. I'm in the UK too and my rift lens are quite cold before I put it on my face and my body heat will cause the fog. If you open Oculus Home for a bit before you jump into the rift it will heat up the device and I won't get any fog. If I do it only lasts for a few mins while the lens are still warming up to my temp and then it will disappear for the rest of the session.

Once you've been wearing it for >30min do you still get fog? After this amount of time the lens should be the same temp as your body and not fog up. 

If you are still having problems I'd suggest getting a USB fan and point it at your face. Plus a nice bonus, it can also help increase presence if you are also outside in a VR game, as its like simulated wind 🙂





lol Simulated wind. I like that idea.

Like I said, it's totally random. Inside the visor heats up and I start sweating a lot. It's not the sweating you get when you have motion sickness while using the device. Anyway, I'll keep what you said to mind. It makes sense that the cold lens would react to the heat from your face.

Thanks for your help.

MrPark94
Level 4
i dont get fog,but the topside of the rift warms up.. and i can feel that on my fore head.. i dont know if its normal.. but it is not a big plus for me 😉

Rifts
Level 5
Glad you're enjoying the oculus! 🙂 the heat problem sounds kind of strange to me, I've only experienced fogging of the lenses if my room is very hot or if I've just been out running, but never because the headset itself has gotten warm.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed breathe into the headset at all, it should only cover your eyes and the nose bridge. Maybe you could try and tighten the middle strap to bring it up higher on your face, alternatively make it sit looser, since in my experience the more ventilated it gets the less fog there is.

Sakkura
Level 7

MrPark94 said:

i dont get fog,but the topside of the rift warms up.. and i can feel that on my fore head.. i dont know if its normal.. but it is not a big plus for me 😉


It's normal for the top to get warm, the screens do use some power and that has to turn into heat.

I don't feel it on the forehead though, just when I actually touch the top of the headset.

Sax-a-boom
Level 8
If you want to experience fogging try 30 mins on BaskHead, you'll feel like you're eyes are being poached!

vannagirl
Level 12
also loosen this and it will stop fogging since i wear loose it never fogs and i can wear for a couple of hours i am such an elite addict

also welcome to OC owner club 😛 🙂
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.