cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neck model in SDK as a placeholder for positional tracking

bluenote
Honored Guest
I was wondering whether there are plans to implement a neck model in the SDK, which could serve as a placeholder for positional tracking. It would make sense to make this neck model somewhat configurable via the configuration utility; maybe with a few different models for different neck/head geometries, or some parameters like neck length etc, and an option to turn it off. This would allow developers to test a few aspects that come into play when position tracking is available and for users it may offer a possibility to maximize the current experience even without positional tracking. In my case for instance, iRacing's neck model was a huge step forward to overcome nausea issues...
6 REPLIES 6

raidho36
Explorer
It also really helps to tilt your head so you can see the track parts obstructed by car armature.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting idea, and it has come up before.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

genetransfer
Explorer
What I've done with my setup is base it off of Anthropometry (actually did this for my entire player IK rig with the hydra, and npc's that will need to be the same height as the player - as governed by the config utility). the head neck model is very important but I don't see as being necessary for the sdk, but being made available via the engine being used would be more realistic and beneficial. not trying to stand in the way of this being implemented, always good to have more options but when dealing with scale units and such it might be less than ideal to make a one size fits all for across varying engines I could be wrong though.

raidho36
Explorer
The idea behind this is to let developers implement positional head tracking seamlessly, without actually having one yet - via emulating neck model inside the SDK. So having this positional tracking wrapper, a programmer can already implement firm positional tracking without having to implement their own stuff. And once the device actually has positional tracking, the integration will go absolutely seamlessly.

genetransfer
Explorer
I see, but yeah I like to do this sort of stuff myself love getting my hands dirty lol. but if it's beneficial sounds like a good thing to have access to as an option.

bluenote
Honored Guest
Currently a lot of developers refrain from putting much effort into developing a neck model, which is completely understandable because it will probably be obsolete with the consumer version. Furthermore most developers would have exactly the same goal: a neck model for standard gameplay in a sitting position. So no need to implement the same thing in every single project if it could be solved centralized in the SDK.

I was expecting that this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find anything in the forums. But I take it that there are currently no official plans or announcement regarding this topic?