cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 980 graphics cards in the horizion?

xalex
Protege
I heard from a friend, that there are new generation 980 graphics cards coming soon. Has anyone else out there heard of this? I'm looking at buying a 980 ti for my computer, when I get my rift in may. But if new gen graphics cards are coming out soon, I will obviously wait. Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

cybereality
Grand Champion
There's always new video cards coming.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Probably 1080s, not 980s.

leftler
Protege
At GTC on April 5th Nivida has a presentation about their new Pascal line of cards (GTX 1080 specfically) and it is expected that they will state the release date at that presentation.

Current estimates are the first cards will be launched in June around the time of Computex.

xalex
Protege
I'm not really familiar with 1080's are thos more powerful then 980 ti for instance? I guess my main question would be, after I get my rift around end of may, should I just jump and get a 980 vr ready card or wait a little bit for something better, if there is something better out there at that time.

cybereality
Grand Champion
A 980Ti will be good for a while if you want to buy a card now. I have the normal 980 and I'm waiting for the 1080 to upgrade. Hopefully they will have a Titan-level 1080 card, as I want to replace my SLI setup (since it's basically useless, I have it disabled most of the time). 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

dinoroger
Adventurer
I hope the new cards are not called 1080. That makes me think HD not 4K.

H4TE
Expert Protege
X80

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
null
Makes me think of poisoning possums.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
@cybereality I'm actually quite interested in what the 1070 is going to deliver.