cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 980 graphics cards in the horizion?

xalex
Protege
I heard from a friend, that there are new generation 980 graphics cards coming soon. Has anyone else out there heard of this? I'm looking at buying a 980 ti for my computer, when I get my rift in may. But if new gen graphics cards are coming out soon, I will obviously wait. Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

needleseyemusic
Protege

A 980Ti will be good for a while if you want to buy a card now. 

Indeed.   A 980ti will be more than sufficient for the first gen of VR.  The next gen of cards will be overkill for VR, because developers are targeting a GTX 970 level card. That said, the next gen cards will be a worthy upgrade if you don't already own a 980 or 980ti. 

leftler
Protege

I have the normal 980 and I'm waiting for the 1080 to upgrade.

Honestly, I think I am one of the  few people who is happy about the delays. I don't currently have a card that passes the system tester (770 GTX) and had a June estimated delivery date when I pre-ordered. So every day longer the Rift takes to get to me is a higher chance Pascal based cards will be on the market and I won't need to buy a 980 just a few weeks before the next gen of cards come out.

Lucky_D
Heroic Explorer
I think I may just settle with my 970 for now.  I was toying with the Idea of upgrading to a 980Ti for VR, but with the Pascal right around the corner I think the 980Ti would be a waste of money.

Would you agree?

Syrellaris
Rising Star
I agree lucky, i got a 970 and I'll probably get a 1070.

needleseyemusic
Protege

Lucky_D said:

I think I may just settle with my 970 for now.  I was toying with the Idea of upgrading to a 980Ti for VR, but with the Pascal right around the corner I think the 980Ti would be a waste of money.

Would you agree?

Yep, wait for the next set of cards.  You'll get more bang for the buck.

H4TE
Expert Protege
Or simply enjoy months of more amazing gaming NOW instead of waiting, a kinda different bang for the buck.  😄

xalex
Protege

leftler said:

I have the normal 980 and I'm waiting for the 1080 to upgrade.

Honestly, I think I am one of the  few people who is happy about the delays. I don't currently have a card that passes the system tester (770 GTX) and had a June estimated delivery date when I pre-ordered. So every day longer the Rift takes to get to me is a higher chance Pascal based cards will be on the market and I won't need to buy a 980 just a few weeks before the next gen of cards come out.

Do you or anyone else think that the newer pascal cards cost about the same for 980 ti vr rdy card? Atm a 980 ti is about 699.99 on amazon/newegg. I currently have a MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G-219 17.3" GAMING LAPTOP GTX980M i7-6820HK 16GB 128GB SSD+1TB G-SYNC THUNDERBOLT.
That I heard may work with the rift? Or not, ive read that if I mess with the setting on the vid card it might work...Anyway I will prob wait for the new video cards to come out and swap out my old video card and get a new mother board and intel skylake cpu.

SlimBoyFat
Adventurer

hatec0re said:

Or simply enjoy months of more amazing gaming NOW instead of waiting, a kinda different bang for the buck.  😄

This. You can spend forever waiting for the next best thing.
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2

fullmelt
Expert Protege
Got a Evga 980 sc Acx 2.0, going to wait for the gtx 1080 ti.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51141/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-nearly-2x-faster-980/index.html
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Got a 980 Ti and super happy with it, next upgrade will be 1080 ti 32GB together with upcoming 10nm cpus of Intel. Is not worth to upgrade to skylake or 980ti today.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz