cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Article On NVidia Maxwell GTX 880, 870, and 860

ThreeEyes
Explorer
http://wccftech.com/nvidias-28nm-maxwell-based-geforce-gtx-880-geforce-gtx-870-launch-early-october-...

The first two Maxwell cards to launch in the consumer market would be the high-performance GeForce GTX 880 and GeForce GTX 870. These cards will feature the GM204 core architecture which is the successor of the GK104/GK114 core from the Kepler generation. From little things we know thanks to the leaked PCB shot of NVIDIA’s alleged GeForce GTX 880 graphics card, we come to know that the core being used for the sample variant was GM204-INT41684-A1 however there has been a little variation in the codename and it is now called GM204-CS0-A1 (note that the CS stands for Consumer Sample) which means that final testing is under way and the chip will soon end up in the consumer market as the GeForce GTX 880. The chip is also the first of four variants which will make their way to the rest of the lineup including the GeForce GTX 870.

The GeForce GTX 870 on the other hand will be a cut down variant of the GK204 core featured on GeForce GTX 880 with some disabled SMM (Streaming Multiprocessor Maxwell) units. Its not know what specifications does the GM204 hold in general but it does feature a die size larger than its predecessor which is due to the existing 28nm process technology and the card will make use of high-frequency SKHynix H5GQ4H24MFR 0.5G clocked at 7 GHz. We will most probably be looking at a 256-bit since the memory arrangement as seen on the ES board is similar to the GeForce GTX 680 ES board and the final consumer variant. The card was shown with 8 GB GDDR5 memory which is a lot of VRAM for a reference card but we believe that the cards will ship in 4 GB variants. Aside from that, the total power consumption would be similar to Kepler around 195W but it will deliver performance on scale with some of the overclocked GeForce GTX 780 Ti’s we have seen. If the recent GeForce GTX 880 benchmark is taken for reference, we might be looking at a 20-30% performance uplift from Maxwell over GK110 which is insane and makes us wonder the performance uplift with the GM200 core which won’t ship to consumers till next year.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:
11 REPLIES 11

ThreeEyes
Explorer
The fan on the new cards are a bit different too. To me it looks like a kludged turbocharger impeller. Here is a write up on an Italian web side with patent drawings.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/4448-nvidia-brevetta-una-turbofan-per-raffreddare-le-prossime-...

I would have thought a nicely designed impeller would be more efficient than a regular fan and a squirrel cage blower stuck together, but maybe not?
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

4t0m1k
Honored Guest
Thanks for the info.

What do you think about the performance difference between GTX 880 and Titan black ? If the GTX 880 is better for half the price of a Titan, I'll wait for October... But it will be probably 4GB VRAM against 6 for the Titan... What a dilemma.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
No clue on the performance difference but I'm sure places like Tom's Hardware will post tests and evaluations as soon as they get their hands on them.

dar350
Honored Guest
500 dollars? Really? I hope thats true i will definetly buy it 😄

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"dar350" wrote:
500 dollars? Really? I hope thats true i will definetly buy it 😄

It could end up being a steal depending on how it compares to the 780TI. That is still going for around $700. Even if the performance ties, it's a $200 savings!

Beta84
Honored Guest
October... 2 month... next week would be perfect 😉

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Now if we could get Intel to release their high-end Broadwell CPU's in the same time frame. I would have to really consider building a new rig.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Superdeluxo
Explorer
Initially I was gonna wait for these new cards, but am probably gonna grab a 780ti next week and hopefully it will be sufficient for the time being.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm excited for these cards. I hope they come soon.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV