cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Facebook Rules for Oculus Users!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

This would seem to underpin the feeling that some posters on other forums have voices that the Facebook management are not enamored with the previous Oculus community and want to achieve a "hard reset" over what has passed. Totally distancing themselves from the previous Oculus userbase and focusing on the brand new uplands envisaged for the Quest-2, with no pesky baggage. It is the kind'a ultimate slap in the face to the 12-month old Rift-S and Quest-1 community who may also have brought a Quest-2, hoping they would be able to pick which platform they could use dependent on what they wanted to do that day!

Like all things currently, I am sure the devil is in the details - and can be rolled back at any time if the backlash proves embarrassing. 

yxc82bphlv5o.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
51 REPLIES 51

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

I think Facebook could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they had lead with this rather than the statement before.

There is no grief going on at all though. So, no grief to be saved from. People on forums complaining are going to happen no matter what. But that's not how grief works.

Oculus Quest sales are up. Community memberships are up. Facebook Stock is up. None of that is grief.

Facebook deals with consumer complaints of every nature all the time. That's not called "grief," that's called: "doing business."

nalex66
MVP
MVP
There is a lot of misinformation spreading around about Facebook account issues lately. This article, for instance, claims in its title that “Facebook is banning some Oculus players who use more than one headset.” Has anyone been banned over this? Not that I’ve heard of. Is the issue about owning or using more than one headset? Not exactly; the support discussion in question was about a user who had two Oculus accounts, asking Support how he could use both accounts on his two Quests. This led to a statement by a low-level support representative (about using multiple headsets simultaneously on the same account) that doesn’t seem to be in line with the upcoming multi-user feature.

The problem is, nobody (including support staff) seems to be clear on exactly what the policy is or how it will work. This is 100% Facebook’s fault; they’ve started implementing their new account policy without communicating how the whole thing is meant to function (and perhaps without having it figured out themselves). 

Facebook has really bungled this by not having their multi-user scheme in place before forcing the account merge onto users. Really, this whole account change rollout has been a mess. They should have had their account policies sorted out and ready to go, they should have been more prepared with properly-informed support staff, and they should have had a hard block on AI-based account suspensions with any linked Oculus hardware or software.

With no clear indication from Facebook about what the plan is, the misinformation continues to spread like wildfire. Perhaps some bad press is exactly the kick in the pants they need to get out in front of it and finally explain exactly what the policy is meant to be.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Completely agree there, nalex. There was a video shared that said Facebook is banning people with multiple accounts. Yet here I am going strong with mine, and all of my friends with multiple Facebook family accounts (for years) are still doing just fine.

And when I watched the video, it didn't even prove a case where it's happening. It was just a video that shows the same articles and reddit posts that we've all already seen. And then jumps to hyperbole conclusions.

There's obviously "some" valid concerns and legitimate issues. But it's hard to address the valid concerns (let alone solution for them) when so much fake news, clickbait, and hyperbole is used to muddy the waters.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
dxqphg79uf3s.jpeg

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It really is humorous to me that Facebook and Oculus need to clarify this. I mean... gosh... they literally sell 2 headsets on their website right now: Quest and Rift. So of course people can use the same account on more than one headset.

lmaf

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
h5ewh2iatijs.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I actually already logged in to my Quest 2 with both my Business account and my Zenbane account. Granted, the process wasn't clean as I had to do a factory reset on the Quest 2 in order to switch it over.

This is only because the current software doesn't have a damn LOG OUT feature yet lol

But no doubt that Facebook will make an update to address this. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

When you see pictures like this across the forums:

ff50c25526vt.png
It should not take a rocket scientist to tell that you have a lot of people that were intending to have multi-user gaming in their household.

And when you also encourage your newly acquired studio to release a product like this:

w2i7kecdcdbs.png

Its also should not take a metal leap of understanding that you will have a lot of family and friends expecting to play.

No doubt Facebook had a plan to release a "Friends and Family" log on account feature, but that this was not launched with the product, and is expected to come out in at least a years time - is no solution.

While at the same time, the management is so confused, that they have not passed on to their support teams to defuse this situation, and not answer questions in this manner:

n3bewdo0xieo.png

It is these failures of corporate governance that seems to be steeling defeat from the jaws of a victorious launch!

EDIT - Oh and before someone tries to call us a "hater" for bringing this up - or claims its not an "issue"; just a slice [image] of the seething rage that is on the Oculus Quest Facebook forum at this moment after the news broke a few hours ago!

d5lmf9w0vsxp.png

It also doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realise that a portion of those headsets have more than likely been bought by people intending to scalp due to what was assumed by many to be a short supply of the things. Some of those people raging are probably raging because you can still buy the things for £299 and £399 on Amazon and from Oculus lol  😄

Also, if you're reading the Quest Facebook Group you should have seen that Oculus Support have just corrected an error previously made by someone from Oculus Support.

So everyone needs to stop getting their proverbial knickers in a twist.  B)

You're all very welcome.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's not just here where folks are getting tired of the alarmist knicker twisting, @snowdog

Saw this today on Facebook:

cjtraztja1jd.png

I read the 41 comments, which are all people insulting the OP for posting "fake news" (actual quote from one of the comments).

The "anti" train is going to be out of commission soon due to the sheer number of mass consumers that are buying Quest 2 and actually happy with the result.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Facebook could cure COVID-19 and people would STILL complain about it lol 😄