cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Facebook Rules for Oculus Users!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

This would seem to underpin the feeling that some posters on other forums have voices that the Facebook management are not enamored with the previous Oculus community and want to achieve a "hard reset" over what has passed. Totally distancing themselves from the previous Oculus userbase and focusing on the brand new uplands envisaged for the Quest-2, with no pesky baggage. It is the kind'a ultimate slap in the face to the 12-month old Rift-S and Quest-1 community who may also have brought a Quest-2, hoping they would be able to pick which platform they could use dependent on what they wanted to do that day!

Like all things currently, I am sure the devil is in the details - and can be rolled back at any time if the backlash proves embarrassing. 

yxc82bphlv5o.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
51 REPLIES 51

jab
Rising Star

nalex66 said:

dxqphg79uf3s.jpeg

Please note that while the message clarifies there will be no ban (anything else would have been ridiculous), it also uses careful wording that does not mention or clarify if there currently is a problem using two or more headsets with one account.
And reading between the lines on the last statement, it would seem they want each user to sign in using separate accounts on the same headset when swapping or using multiple headsets. Gotta get and link that precious information for each person to increase resale worth you know..

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Even made the front page of Blue's News, lol - sometimes I do wonder if it's really true that any publicity is good publicity...

p5corxw1rjo7.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

jab said:

Please note that while the message clarifies there will be no ban (anything else would have been ridiculous), it also uses careful wording that does not mention or clarify if there currently is a problem using two or more headsets with one account.

Why would they have to clarify that, if the only thing people were asking about is the banning? Many of us actually use multiple headsets with one account. It has never been a problem. Using GO and Quest 1 and Rift with a single account is not a problem. Never has been. Facebook doesn't have to clarify a non-existent issue lol.

Since you don't actually use any Oculus products yourself, a lot of the stuff you read from Oculus is going to stand out as lacking in information. But it's not Oculus job to cover every tiny detail in order to prevent non-Oculus owners from finding something to complain about. Respectfully, it seems like you're just fishing for things to put a negative spin on here.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

jab said:

nalex66 said:

dxqphg79uf3s.jpeg

And reading between the lines on the last statement, it would seem they want each user to sign in using separate accounts on the same headset when swapping or using multiple headsets. Gotta get and link that precious information for each person to increase resale worth you know..

How does it not clarify if there is currently a problem using two or more headsets with one account? It specifically says "using the same Facebook account on two or more headsets simultaneously will NOT get your account banned" and also that it is not against the ToS. That seems pretty clear that there is no problem (from a rules standpoint) with using two headsets with one account (even at the same time).

There is a logistical problem, due to some apps not being able to handle multiple users under the same username, but this is addressed in another statement (quoted above, but not in my post) where they mention their plan to allow multiple users to sign into the device using their own Facebook accounts. This allows any Facebook user to have their own VR username and avatar, and it means that your guest is not appearing as you in VR. This seems to me to be a practical, sensible solution that is consistent with the rest of their user policy, and finally gives us a way to share our headsets with friends and family and play multi-player between our own devices.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cmat100
Adventurer
@RuneSR2 - Hell, it's made the Metro  (It's a free newspaper you'll find everywhere on a bus, train and drain in the UK)

I know it's off-topic,  but the annoucement of FB cloud *gaming - fat internet pipe and you've got PCVR,  except the PC is in the bit-barn.

*EDIT

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
There have been some concerns voiced that after the Weekends promise from Oculus that more information on the actual situation regarding multiple accounts that we have returned to radio silence.

I really hope that what was done to obfuscate the poor information originally supplied by a Oculus staffer to the member of the public was not just filling to try and defuse the media, and that they have no intention of clarifying the situation?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:
I really hope that what was done to obfuscate the poor information originally supplied by a Oculus staffer 

That's not what obfuscate means nor how it works. What Oculus did was "clarify" the poor information that was originally given. When someone clarifies something, they are doing the literal opposite of obfuscation.

they have no intention of clarifying the situation?

The situation was already clarified. 

As for the work itself, Oculus is working on their own timeline, like every other organization. Their goal is to achieve success; their goal is not to work so fast that they appease those who consistently hope they fail. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everything that he said ^^^^ ???

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Everything that he said ^^^^ ???

Yes @snowdog - we know, we know! :smiley:

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
44joifgwx0dp.jpg

Uh-oh...  😄  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"