cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VR Behavior Policy: Do not invade someone's personal space!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Facebook's VR use policy was updated recently, and now includes information about invading personal space, and other types of improper gestures.

https://support.oculus.com/1694069410806625/
Facebook’s newly updated ‘Conduct in VR Policy‘ highlights that you should not “harass or bully other users” by “invading personal space without consent,” nor should you “conduct yourself in an offensive or abusive way,” including making “sexual gestures.”

Repeated of flagrant abuses of the rules can result in suspensions or outright bans, which fully revoke your ability to use your headset. These rules apply in everything you do in the headset, whether you’re playing a social VR experience, a competitive multiplayer VR game, or even streaming a single player experience for others to watch on Facebook Live.
https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-expanded-vr-policies-oculus-quest-2-privacy-policy-terms-of-servic...

No doubt that this will only add fuel to the fires currently burning around the controversy between:
  • Banned from a Social Media Service
  • Banned from using a piece of Hardware you purchased

I agree that this is very problematic. I would personally be upset if Facebook banned my Account and tried to lock me out of my headset. But I also have a fairly strong sense of the types of behavior and should and should not be doing when interacting with others. And considering that I am far from a model student for "good behavior," I still can't help but wonder what types of things truly trigger a Facebook ban, outside of blatantly obvious rule violations. Until this ban/lockout happens to me, though, I feel like I don't have much of a dog in this fight.

What does interest me from all of this... is that "convergence" of VR and Real Life. At this stage, Oculus VR is being treated like a "real world." And violating rules, much like violating Laws, is having real consequences that can limit ones freedoms. When I set aside the moral dilemma around Consumer Rights, I can't help but thing... wow! How far we have come with technology.

With a ban from Oculus VR, not only are you prevented from using a product, but you are no longer allowed to "exist" in a Social Space that goes beyond a mere flat screen. That's kinda crazy, and gives a small glimpse of the future for humanity, virtual worlds, and Artificial Intelligence.
62 REPLIES 62

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

OmegaM4N said:

What gets me is the fact they made what they must have known was going to be a unpopular decision by making FB accounts mandatory with the Q2, and then they could not even make that process trouble free, i mean talk about trying to extinguish a raging fire that you started by dousing it with even more fuel. Lol

Yes I know, it does feel like a raging fire they could have avoided - no matter how it is down played. 

From experience with dealing with a self induced blackeye, it would seem logical not to double down. May be just pause the full adoption of the system, and also start looking at a better process of arbitration put in place.

I think this may be the tip of the iceberg as the last forum postings spoke of other people finding out they had similar problems, not bricked headsets, just inability to pair their accounts which sees another problem.

I wonder how much of this implementation was taken from the newly restructured Facebook Reality Lab control and was handled by Facebooks MR team? Anyway, expect this to blow away with some serious backpedaling over the weekend. 

Ha, no doubt, iit wil be interesting to see what they do.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:
Ha, no doubt, iit wil be interesting to see what they do.

In some cases, it doesn't really matter what Facebook does, as it will always get spun in to something negative. I'm sure they are used to it though. Facebook is a free service and gains its value from user data, which comes in many forms. Including posting on Facebook forums. Facebook wins either way; such is the life of Social Media Giants.

Luciferous
Consultant
So this applies to multiplayer games not just Horizons (Sorry if been covered but there are a lot of posts)?

So lets take onward as an example, I have a knife and kill somebody with it. 

Does that mean

1. I invaded their space.
2. I was abusive.
3. I killed them three times in a row, was I harassing them. 
4. Any game Banter is a possible Ban offense? I mean you are playing a violent FPS game.

Lets say somebody kills me, in the heat of the game I call them a rude word or make a sexual gesture (I don't do this but when the adrenalines pumping many would). After all Oculus you gave us finger gestures. In normal games it actual is quite funny when you have beaten somebody so well they get pissed off with you and they go on an expletive rant.

I understand Horizons, its a social experience as much as a game. Misbehave and ban somebody from that not every game you ever purchased. You should never be banned from Single player games at the minimum.

Why would anybody buy a multiplayer or any other PC game from Oculus again? I understand Quest users dont have a lot options for the mobile games.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Any chance of me using Oculus VR and ask Facebook not to invade my personal space by tracking me 😛

@Luciferous -I think they just mean this for Horizons, but it is strange that they haven't said what app or game this applies to. I have to say though, it would be hilarious hearing of someone getting banned because they had invaded someone's personal space in Onward.

So far there have been a lot of concerns about... what if I do this or that and get banned? 

No-one looking at the effect of reducing the incidents of behaviour that deter people from using interactive tech? and how that might attract more people to it?

Who is going to buy a multi-player game? Maybe people who don't currently play them because they've previously found them overly-abusive environments. Sometimes, believe it or not, the gender of the person playing is all that's needed to trigger abuse or 'unwanted attention'... even their race.... I know crazy right?

Invading someone's space can mean a hundred different things, and interpreted in a hundred different ways, but having a policy that basically tells people to behave themselves is not the end or the world.

Having these kind of rules, will they reduce player numbers or increase player numbers? to get to an answer, we have to look beyond the 'what if I do this' question and include the 'what if I stop doing this' question.

Scaramoosh
Protege
For me half the fun of VR is messing with people and trying to do middle fingers at each other. If I play Rec Room now and there are loads of kids in there (which there always was) will I be acused of being a pedophile and banned? This world is going crazy. I mean I used to play drunk with my friends in rec room when we all have Rift 1's back in 2016. We were on there in local lobbies swearing like mad and joking as guys do... does that get us banned now?

I remember playing Echo Arena was it called? Had this guy float over to me and start touching me. It freaked me out how real it looked in a way and we had a laugh about it. Does he get banned if someone doesn't like it? Has a weird reaction to it?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
These type of offences will more likely result in warnings if someone is offended enough to report you. Repeated offences might lead to a suspension. Outright bans shouldn’t happen without an ongoing pattern of extremely egregious behaviour. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
deleted, probably OT

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

My guess is that joking and swearing with a group of friends would be seen a lot differently than going up to kids you don't know a swearing in their face for example, not sure where the paedophilia comes in.

Any accusation it seems will be able to be reviewed by looking at the actual event if it was needed, just like posts here are able to be viewed, so accusations if they're exaggerated won't hold up.

But again, it's the what if I do this question, what if you just don't do it?

Scaramoosh
Protege

My guess is that joking and swearing with a group of friends would be seen a lot differently than going up to kids you don't know a swearing in their face for example, not sure where the paedophilia comes in.

Any accusation it seems well be able to be reviewed by looking at the actual event if it was needed, just like posts here are able to be viewed, so accusations if they're exaggerated won't hold up.

But again, it's the what if I do this question, what if you just don't do it?

Freedom that's why.

Anyways I'm out of the ecosystem now, I'm not supporting this future. My headset just got sent back any ways as I thought it wouldn't require Facebook until 2023.