cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user, can't create thread - PLEASE READ THIS

cybereality
Grand Champion
NEW USERS SHOULD BE FULL MEMBERS AFTER CREATING ONE POST. IF YOU HAVE ISSUES CREATING A THREAD OR POSTING, PLEASE PM ME. THANKS

*** Below is the original post, but see above for the latest requirements. ***

Due to an ongoing problem with spam, we have enacted certain restrictions for new members. As a new member, you will be restricted from creating new threads/topics, and unable to use BBCode in your posts.

Please contribute to existing threads first, to obtain a certain amount of posts before you become a full member.

You may use the search function to find relevant threads to post in. Most likely someone else has posted a similar problem, and you may even find there is already a solution.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this should make for a better spam-free experience for everyone.

UPDATE: The number of posts needed to become a full member is 3.
See here for some help making your first few posts:
https://developer.oculus.com/forums/vie ... 100#p49840

UPDATE 2: You can also PM me with a message telling me who you are or why you want to make a post on the forums, and I can make you a full member. Also, if you have purchased a Rift with the same email as on the developer center, just let me know and that will be enough to make you a full member. I just want to be sure you are not a spammer. Thanks.

UPDATE 3: The post requirement has been lifted. Everyone should be able to create topics now.

UPDATE 4: Spam has returned, so now the 3 post requirement has returned as well.

UPDATE 5: Spam has gone away for now, so I removed the requirements.

UPDATE 6: New users only need 1 post before becoming full members.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
966 REPLIES 966

Commissar64
Honored Guest

thelandofthedav
Honored Guest
Clears that up. I thought maybe Chrome was not rendering the page correctly and was going to give another browser a try.

jherico
Adventurer
"cybereality" wrote:
Due to an ongoing problem with spam, we have enacted certain restrictions for new members. As a new member, you will be restricted from creating new threads/topics, and unable to use BBCode in your posts.

This is likely to kill the 'Reporting issues' forum, where I like to browse and offer help to people who are often making their first post reporting a problem.

I also doubt this will deter spammers. Whatever the criteria is for 'minimum number of thread replies before you can create a new thread', they'll just program their software to attach bullshit content to existing threads to meet it. Automated solutions just end up making an arms race and diminishing the usefulness of the forums as a side effect hurts forum users more than it helps them.

IMO, if OVR can't afford to staff moderation for the forums, they should allow some form of community moderation.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

Punkerella
Honored Guest
Do you know the actual number of posts we need to unlock our accounts? The fact I can't post screenshots of our game is kinda slowing me down on what to post. (BBCode and avatar images are also disabled for my account.) I feel kinda ridiculous trying to just come up with random stuff to say, lol. I am not a huge forum poster 😉

*Edit: The answer seems to be about 10 if anyone else is wondering, the post topic button just showed up for me.

geekmaster
Protege
Does it require a moderator action to convert a noob account into a "real" account?

If this procedure is automated, new posters (including spammers) just need to bump a bunch of threads with crap "bump" posts to bypass the new "anti-noob" rules.

Just like rules that governments pass into laws, although they sound nice on the surface, they often cause more harm than good (especially when automated). Remember that spammers often have human controllers, especially during forum assimilation.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The number of posts needed to be a full member is 10.

The process is automated, no action is required by moderators.

So far it has seemed to solve the spam problems, so that's a positive.

I do agree that it may inconvenience some people, but there is always a trade-off.

Please add your feedback to this thread. We can totally change these settings if they are not working.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KBK
Protege
If possible, put a flag of the fledgling's post, if it has links in too many of those first 10 posts. That way you get a warning to check and see if they are spammers.

meaning, let them post links, or have the system report back how many links the given new member may have posted, in those first 10 posts.

A spammer is going to have links in every single one of those posts. Which is, of course, a dead giveaway.

something along those lines, if at all possible. You might have to create or find a reporting routine for the given BB software in use.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

360FOV
Honored Guest
Most spam I have seen has been in new threads so this system should work out nicely.
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

Commissar64
Honored Guest
"KBK" wrote:
If possible, put a flag of the fledgling's post, if it has links in too many of those first 10 posts. That way you get a warning to check and see if they are spammers.

meaning, let them post links, or have the system report back how many links the given new member may have posted, in those first 10 posts.

A spammer is going to have links in every single one of those posts. Which is, of course, a dead giveaway.

something along those lines, if at all possible. You might have to create or find a reporting routine for the given BB software in use.

This seems quite a sensible approach.