cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No spec releases is simply odd

Emvy-
Honored Guest
It is a little strange as why we do not have the full specs of the CV1.

I can understand the lack of specs in development kits but not for a Consumer version.

how many of you would buy a new monitor, console, car, etc without knowing the specs?

the other reason behind hiding specs is competition, Now that the competition opened Pre-orders there is really no reason left to hide it.

in my opinion the only reason for not releasing specs now is if the CV1 specs are inferior to the Vive in fear of cancellations. and I highly doubt that.

so why the secrecy?
22 REPLIES 22

nightauditor198
Adventurer
"velma01" wrote:

I can understand the lack of specs in development kits but not for a Consumer version.

how many of you would buy a new monitor, console, car, etc without knowing the specs?

the other reason behind hiding specs is competition, Now that the competition opened Pre-orders there is really no reason left to hide it.

in my opinion the only reason for not releasing specs now is if the CV1 specs are inferior to the Vive in fear of cancellations. and I highly doubt that.

so why the secrecy?

What specs are you missing?

EliteSPA
Superstar
"velma01" wrote:

so why the secrecy?

Use google my friend! I think you didnt even search!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... ift-specs/
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

flyingsaucers
Expert Protege
This thread is simply odd. We know basically everything now, even the weight!

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's a couple of specs we don't know yet:
- actual fov frustum for each eye.
- texture scale factor to compensate for lens distortion.

For the first, despite people saying fov varies depending on eye distance from the lens, the actual fov values are exposed by the sdk and it's impossible to render without them. Each eye has 4 fov angles that describe the asymmetric frustum.

For the second, this has a direct influence on performance required for high quality rendering. For example, the DK2 was around 1.5, which means we need to render 2.25 times as many pixels as the native resolution to get good image quality.

All these will be provided by SDK 1.0, when they get around to giving it to us.

(It's possible that even though the CV1 has higher res than DK2, the CV1 may have a lower scale factor so actually renders less pixels)

Non developers don't have much use for these values directly (asymmetric frustums would probably confuse average users). But they are things I expect as a low level developer.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

snappahead
Expert Protege
FOV is a non-stat I think. It's a meaningless number in most regards since it's different for everyone.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

kojack
MVP
MVP
"Snappahead" wrote:
FOV is a non-stat I think. It's a meaningless number in most regards since it's different for everyone.

The FOV frustum is 8 numbers that MUST be exactly known otherwise rendering is impossible. It is entirely independent of the person using the rift.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

danknugz
Superstar
If it's different for everyone they should be listing the smallest possible FoV. A lot of people after having used the Dk2 will want to know if the FoV has improved over DK2. From what I've heard, it is only slightly better.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

joan
Protege
"kojack" wrote:
"Snappahead" wrote:

The FOV frustum is 8 numbers that MUST be exactly known otherwise rendering is impossible. It is entirely independent of the person using the rift.

Normally the DefaultEyeFov used for rendering depends on the user profile, which includes eye-lens distance, IPD, etc. You can see that it is quite different from the MaxEyeFov. I don't know if profiles work in 0.8 though. I have an old profile with specific values but all new profiles I create keep using the same FovPort.

ennogs
Expert Protege
"EliteSPA" wrote:
"velma01" wrote:

so why the secrecy?

Use google my friend! I think you didnt even search!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... ift-specs/

That website may be wrong. We will not full know what the sspecs are until oculus themselves say what the specs are.