cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Announces Air Link for Wireless PC VR and 120Hz

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Great news to have it in-house, coming in update V.28.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-air-link-a-wireless-way-to-play-pc-vr-games-on-oculus...

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
6 REPLIES 6

Wireless Link was always going to be the next logical step, and hopefully it'll out-perform Virtual Desktop, which has been a great tool so far. Air Link should also be more universal in the apps that work, I've really wanted a way to use Medium wirelessly, relaxing on the couch but it doesn't work at all with VD.

There have been a couple threads very recently asking about Infinite Office too so it's good to see this progressing.

I assume from the wording though that these features won't be enabled on an original Quest, certainly 120hz won't be but I wonder if Infinite Office and Air Link will need Quest 2's improved hardware also. May be time for me to retire my Q1. 

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Virtual Desktop will still probably have a use case, even if at home Air Link works as well. Namely the ability to use your desktop (and play your PCVR games) even if you're not home, provided you have access to an internet connection.

I'm rather excited about the infinite office thing too. It sounds like it wont require a special keyboard, so my hairbrained idea of ditching having a physical monitor for my computer could be a viable reality. Sure I can touch type. But playing keyboard & mouse controlled games can be a pain in VR. It's surprising how much your peripheral vision is used with touch typing.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Yeah, I had wondered if Office was going to be tied to the k380 they keep mentioning... but 'beginning with the k380' sounds like they're definitely going to be adding more keyboards. The Logitech looks a lot like the virtual keyboard we have right now so kind of neat but I'd like the option of a full size one.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Even just being able to see your bluetooth mouse while in VR will be a huge help for keyboard/mouse gaming and productivity. Since most keyboards have a raised bump on the F and J keys, if you can touch type it's easy to get your hands into the home position. But using a mouse while in VR is currently a pain.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm very excited to try this out! Virtual Desktop is great, but it didn't fair too well for me with Expert level Beat Saber. I wonder if Oculus Air Link can meet the challenge.

Either way, having to localized wireless VR options is going to be great competition. Oculus and VD will be competing for better service. Consumers benefit all around.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Mergin time Nalex.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.