cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Desktop App PTC v39.0.0.51.369

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I just got the latest Oculus Desktop App  on the PTC (beta).  It is v39.0.0.51.369.  As usual, no release notes, lol!  Anyway, all seems to work fine with my Q2/rtx3090 (v38) using Air Link (I'll try Link later).  All the Oculus, Steam and VivePort games I've tried so far work very well.  I actually think the overall clarity is a bit better.  Distant objects seem a little clearer and textures seem a bit richer.  Overall, seems to be a nice update.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
10 REPLIES 10

lensmandave
Superstar

Got it this morning too. Yep, visually good, not sure if it's any sharper, but its a bit early in the day and my old eyes take a while to peak. I'll try it again later.

What I am getting (on Airlink) is an occasional 'Airlink has lost connection' message when it most definitely hasn't.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

@lensmandave  Hi mate, I played a lot of Air Link today (including Lone Echo 2 and HLA) with my Q2/rtx3090 and did not notice any lost connections.  Everything was smooth-as using 200mbps dynamic bitrate.  You may want to try disabling Air Link in your Quest experimental, enable it again, then pair it.  Also, I find it worthwhile to clear the Quest guardian and redo it, also the Rift home guardian after updates.

Maybe also try going into ODT and disable that new mobile asw thing close to the bottom.  I haven't tried 120Hz but I've heard from others that 120Hz with Link and Air Link is not currently working very well.  The sweet spot for me is still 80Hz refresh with the res slider full right.  I'm def seeing a bit of an improvement in visuals with all my PCVR games/sims using Air Link.  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@lensmandave  Hi mate, I played a lot of Air Link today (including Lone Echo 2 and HLA) with my Q2/rtx3090 and did not notice any lost connections.  Everything was smooth-as using 200mbps dynamic bitrate.  You may want to try disabling Air Link in your Quest experimental, enable it again, then pair it.  Also, I find it worthwhile to clear the Quest guardian and redo it, also the Rift home guardian after updates.

Maybe also try going into ODT and disable that new mobile asw thing close to the bottom.  I haven't tried 120Hz but I've heard from others that 120Hz with Link and Air Link is not currently working very well.  The sweet spot for me is still 80Hz refresh with the res slider full right.  I'm def seeing a bit of an improvement in visuals with all my PCVR games/sims using Air Link.  Cheers.

so 120hz works alright if you don't afi enabled.  90hz is the limit for afi, i just think its doing to much guess work to keep up with the 120 hz.

Actually the lower the requested render the better the afi will appear, because is less calculated frames, not fully rendered frames.

Realistically, afi is still kinda gray.  If you have the gpu and wifi, its better to disable altogether and run max frames and render res your computer setup can handle without stutter. Or if you want afi to run higher framerates, reduce render res, so your mind doesn't perceive anything still limit the cap to 90hz, as 120 is too many interpolated frames.

Until they lock in the algorithm for afi, 90 is the best they can do with it.

Also from a 8k raw resolution scale 80-90 with afi is really the clearest the quest 2 will look. 

8K-1-1226x726.png because for afi the way oculus handles it you only 1/3 of the requested frame rate.

oculus-quest-application-spacewarp-768x481.png

based upon demand the some 8k rendering with unbound gpu/cpu you can really only get 20 ish frames.

that said i would imagine when 40XX series hit the market the afi scheme won't be as needed.  40xx will only bring the quest 2 render to full 1.7 and 120.

Can you test out if app sharing with primary and shared account is still disabled via new error message?

@lance.mccary  Sorry mate but I don’t have any shared accounts to test this.

@PITTCANNA  Thanks for the info on afi mate.  I doubt that with my good router/WiFi setup and rtx3090 I’ll ever need to enable that.  I did manage to try 120hz and it was a stuttering and ghosting mess, even at pretty low res slider settings.

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@PITTCANNA  Thanks for the info on afi mate.  I doubt that with my good router/WiFi setup and rtx3090 I’ll ever need to enable that.  I did manage to try 120hz and it was a stuttering and ghosting mess, even at pretty low res slider settings.

also with afi, there are a lot variables that make it crazy to guess the frame that is coming or its going to be.  They most likely do some deep learning and some ai to determine the next probable scene but that relies on a few things.

• actual game render
  • starting location
  • guessed ending location (head location)
  • actual ending location (head location
  • true gpu load (if your going to drop a frame)

Head location is all about framing the shot, if you think about your standard fps, the framed shot really can only move about 2 axis of movement, and a game generally builds frame buffer for enough of the scene so any variation of the frame it can easily accommodate.

When your thinking vr, there about 6 axis of movement that the field of view has to account for, the afi in the background takes educated  guess where your head was and going to go so it has enough data to fill the frame, for when the gpu is going to drop a frame.  And then when your head location actually arrives at that frame it picks it back up, and smooths it out.

lensmandave
Superstar

Just to be clear, I'm not getting any lost connections, just the occasional message saying i have! 

Its running nice and smooth playing PCVR titles 🙂

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

BubblzZz
Protege

Devs, you need to respond and address the issue @ 120hz. Even with AFI set to disabled, judder and ghosting makes the experience unplayable even on V39 too. V37 did not have this issue. I've been using 120hz @ 1.3x since Airlink launched with zero issues....until V38.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

OK, I got a chance to try Link today.  With v38 Quest all worked fine and with the higher bitrate (500mbps) distant objects did look clearer and there were fewer compression artifacts (like basically none).  Like Air Link, I still had an issue using 120Hz refresh.  Ended up with lots of stutters/ghosting, even moving the res slider down quite a bit.  Even 90Hz was not as smooth as I remember it in earlier updates last year.  I'm not a big fan of 120Hz but this option seems to have gone downhill for me from updates v29 onward. 

Fortunately for me I'm not as refresh rate sensitive as some seem to be and my sweet spot with my Q2/rtx3090 remains at 80Hz with the res slider full right (= native Q2 res) and with ODT, encoding res = 3664 (= 1;1 Q2 scaling), the rest defaults/zeros except link sharpening enabled, asw and mobile asw both = disabled.  With these settings the visuals are stunning and with Link bitrate = 500mbps or Air Link = 200mbps Dynamic, everything is smooth and stutter-free. 

I still mainly use my Vive Pro (amoled screens, Etsy lens mod, and Index controllers) for all my flight/racing sims for its slightly better fps performance, larger FOV, and better audio.  I favour using my Q2 wireless with Air Link for pretty well everything else.  Thanks to my VP1 Link Box on/off switch and the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) oculus runtime services and audio switching features it's very easy to switch between headsets.