cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Gaming Showcase

Has there already been a thread on last night's showcase? I haven't noticed it so here's one.

If you missed it, you can watch it here:

Some games we knew were coming some we didn't (well, I didn't at least) so the summary is.....

Lone Echo 2 this summer (Rift/Linked Quest)

Resident Evil 4 later in the year (Quest 2)

Wraith: The Oblivion Afterlife (Rift and Quest)

The Climb 2 expansions - 2 parts (Quest)

The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners update (Rift/Linked Quest) - Free for TWD owners.

Warhammer 40,000 Battle Sister multiplayer update (Quest & soon on Rift I think)

Pistol Whip wild west and customisable levels update (Rift and Quest)

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge part 2 (Quest)

Star Wars Pinball VR (Quest)

I Expect You to Die 2 (Rift and Quest)

Carve Snowboarding (Quest, can't remember if they said there would also be a Rift version))

After the Fall (Rift and Quest)

If I've missed anything or got any details wrong, let me know.

Personally I'm excited about that Wraith game and had already decided on the Star Wars Pinball and of course Lone Echo 2, probably pick up Saint & Sinners now as it's one I hadn't yet got but with a free update, it'd be rude not to.

So what are your thoughts? good first showcase? expecting more.?.. less?

8 REPLIES 8

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

https://youtu.be/aw6h2Vrh9mE

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Thanks for posting this @DaftnDirect - I was buried in work when it was released and hadn't had a chance to watch it.

For me, I'm looking forward to:

• Pistol Whip's Smoke and Thunder
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Lone Echo 2
  • Walking Dead S&S
  • The Climb 2
  • SW Galaxy's Edge
  • Wraith

What I love most about Oculus approach here is that they have finally created a distinction between VR as a whole vs games made for VR.

This is a great moment in VR history where Video Games are no longer directly tied to Virtual Reality as an all-inclusive idea. I think the biggest hurdle VR has battled against is the misconception that "VR is just for games."

As of today, Oculus has thoroughly dispelled such notions. Having a Gaming Showcase draws the perfect line between VR as a platform and VR Games as one of many aspects of the VR Platform.

Considering that we are in 2021 and Oculus just revealed great plans for both Quest Stand-Alone and Rift's PCVR, we're headed in to another great year of thorough content for all users.

Now I just need to take some vacation time so I can enjoy all this goodness! 

I was quite pleased with the presentation, partly because I didn't know it was happening until a couple days ago. If it's been talked about on the forum I missed it.

Upcoming games shown in the store is one thing but having a showcase is very welcome, it gives the impression that there's commitment (if we didn't already think there was). The format was good too, not over-presented, seemed to be the right mix of talk and show. The Oculus environments she was in was a good touch, made the whole thing feel nice and familiar.

I'll probably wait for RE4 and Infinite Office to release before upgrading my original Quest. I was going to wait longer but it's getting to be more attractive. My brother doesn't know it but he's going to have my Quest coming his way, he's a Star Wars nut and I don't think he knows about the Pinball game with its fan cave and collectables!

I'm optimistic about VR, more so than a couple months ago, recent announcements are quite appealing to me. Wonder how regularly they plan on having these games showcases?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Glad to hear that Lone Echo 2 is coming along... it would be nice to have a release date, but “this summer” isn’t too far off. RE4 is looking pretty good too, and I enjoyed the first part of Tales From the Galaxy’s Edge, so I’m sure the second part will be worth picking up. I finally got around to trying The Climb 2 this week—more content is welcome there too.

Anyway, not a bad showcase. No mind-blowing surprises, but a pretty solid lineup of content.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Totally awesome - I could not ask for anything more - this totally dwarfs everything else this year  

RuneSR2_1-1619093843750.png

Devs have now had 2 years to optimize for lcd, so the game may look great using lcd. For Lone Echo I greatly prefer Rift CV1 for the oled and non-blurry TAA. Interesting if TAA is gone in LE2... 

The list does look nice:

Lone Echo 2 this summer (Rift)

Wrath: The Oblivion Afterlife (Rift)

The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners update (Rift).

Warhammer 40,000 Battle Sister multiplayer update (soon on Rift)

Pistol Whip wild west and customisable levels update (Rift)

I Expect You to Die 2 (Rift)

After the Fall (Rift)

Nice to see several titles for the Rifts, although not sure that anything but LE2 will be Oculus exclusives. 

So it does take 4 years to make a great PCVR game - just like Alyx 

RuneSR2_0-1619093827257.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@nalex66 wrote:

Glad to hear that Lone Echo 2 is coming along... it would be nice to have a release date, but “this summer” isn’t too far off. RE4 is looking pretty good too, and I enjoyed the first part of Tales From the Galaxy’s Edge, so I’m sure the second part will be worth picking up. I finally got around to trying The Climb 2 this week—more content is welcome there too.

Anyway, not a bad showcase. No mind-blowing surprises, but a pretty solid lineup of content.

Yeah most of those titles have been known for awhile now (after the fall, lone echo 2, wraith). I think the biggest take-away is the introduction of the new Oculus Games Showcase. Which I think is a great approach.

RE4 is going to be insane. I can't wait to pick that one up. I'm most excited about RE4 and Lone Echo 2.

I haven't tried The Climb 2 yet. How does it compare to the original Climb game?

Climb 2 is pretty similar to the original. you don't have to shake your hand like crazy to chalk anymore, which feels better. I tried the urban climbing, which was a bit different. There seem to be more dynamic elements than the original game; for example, there's a part where you have to climb on one of those rotating-slat billboards that cycles every few seconds. It has different hand-holds on each side of the slats, so you have to time your moves carefully.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Glad to see more VR pinball coming and even though already have all the Pinball games on steam i will most certainly grab SWVR Pinball on steam and PSVR. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.