cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift 2 | What We Know so Far About the 'Half Dome' Prototype

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoQHOx6XS-E
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
13 REPLIES 13

Digikid1
Consultant
Hopefully they’ll clean up that design and cover those sensors up. 

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

Hopefully they’ll clean up that design and cover those sensors up. 

It is a 3d printed prototype 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

SengirShowsU
Explorer
Will this definately be a new Rift Version or just Attributes for the Santa Cruz? Because i really have no interesst in a VR Device that runs on Android and/or Smartphone Hardware. I am a little afraid that will be the direction they go. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this definately be a new Rift Version or just Attributes for the Santa Cruz? Because i really have no interesst in a VR Device that runs on Android and/or Smartphone Hardware. I am a little afraid that will be the direction they go. 

For a base on the go method I still hope they do go that route and learn a ton from it for CV3 that way we can have the best of both worlds. With that said, I wouldn't worry about them moving that direction only though. They do know that hardware is very limited and hard to control in some ways as well and that really limits what they can or can't do in the most cases.

Who knows, but I'm sure most of this will not be seen on SC and only a CV level of hardware control. Possible SC2 might see this in the future - but if they increase FOV - that means they increase the pixel count, aka the resolution, and that means only stronger hardware will be able to run it. Granted they might be using eye tracking/FOV methods to help with this - but that might still be too much to ask form the mobile hardware to keep up with.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We'll see this being an advanced prototype of the CV2. And as versions of the Oculus Go, Santa Cruz and CVn release as times goes on we'll see them sharing features.

They'll continue to develop and manufacture hardware on three fronts - a basic standalone headset aimed at the mainstream consumer, a higher end standalone headset aimed at enthusiasts and organisations and a high-end PC VR headset aimed at enthusiasts looking for the best quality VR that doesn't have a problem spending money on a high-end PC and headset.

And I saw on Reddit that someone who knows people working at BOE confirmed that the fast-switch LCD in the Oculus Go is made by BOE and the company revealed 4K flexible displays in a small form factor at a recent show...which is another indication to me that we're going to be seeing 4K displays in the CV2 next year 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Oculus patented curved VR display use, including a fibre optic taper for greater FOV, with a curved display the optics can be thinner and distortion (including chromatic aberration) etc greatly reduced if not entirely eliminated

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, wouldn't surprise me if we see that in either the Santa Cruz or CV2 or maybe even both.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I hope we don't have to deal with USB cameras anymore. Wiring those up is a major pain. 

What I care about right now is that we see faster GPUs. If we can get 4K + fast GPUs that can handle 4K per eye in modern game then I'll officially be in gaming heaven. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2