cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift CV1 blackscreen after while with following flickering [NEW PC]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I own my Oculus Rift CV1 since July 2017 and never had any problems with it on my old PC, which wasn´t even VR ready (GTX 960).

Now I bought a completely new PC (i7 8700k, GTX 1080ti, 16gb RAM) and some problems showed up.

When I play VR games it works perfectly smooth for a while. Sometimes one hour, sometimes 40 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes. Then the Oculus Rift "crashes?", shows black screen and after a few seconds I´m in the Oculus Menu with A LOT of flickering and flashing. On my monitor screen it still works, even with the tracking. Just not on the Oculus. When I press the menu button then, I´m back in the game but the flickering keeps going. Only a restart of the OVRservice.exe in task manager helps to fix the flickering, but only until the next "crash".

GPU and CPU temperatures are perfect, so it´s not overheating hardware. All drivers on the PC are up to date and all games on monitor work perfectly.

Can someone help me out? 

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

10 REPLIES 10

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Did you build this PC yourself or was it ready built? I would first of all try re-seating the graphics card if you know what your are doing in a computer and reinstalling the drivers. I would make sure the Hdmi connections to the Oculus Rift haven't come loose at both ends, both on the headset itself and the computer end. I would also run through the Oculus setup again. These are the things I'd start with then let use know how you get on. You also might want to try an older Graphics card driver as some people seem to have success doing that. I'm not sure which ones they use though, but there's plenty about it in the forums if you do a search.

I forgot to mention to disable any background programs that could be causing a conflict..

Anonymous
Not applicable
This PC was bought online where you can configurate all parts. They build the PC + stress test it and only ship it if success on all tests. Games on monitor work perfectly , so I think it´s not the hardware´s fault.

HDMI connections are not loose and I´m running the same background programs like I did with my old PC a week ago. 

But I will try reinstalling graphic drivers or use older ones and reinstall Oculus Home. 
Thanks!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you still have your old computer? Might be good to test it on the old one to see if the flickering still happens (which would indicate the cable or headset going bad). Also, double-check the cable, especially on the headset side. You can reseat the cable after pulling off the facial interface bracket.

Latest Nvidia driver should be working, but you can try 388.59 if you want an old one to test with. Also, I usually do a custom install with only Nvidia driver and PhysX driver selected (disabling the rest of the option). You can also try a DDU safe mode uninstall to make sure there is no corruption or bad files left over (before you install a new driver).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Change your DVI adapter. Buy one from a computer store.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Change your DVI adapter. Buy one from a computer store.

Who said he was using a DVi adapter? I presume he will be using Hdmi with a new computer and that card.

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
Try swapping around the USB ports used and take out any extension cable you are using on the Rift itself (sensors are fine).

I had exactly the same symptoms and i swapped my Rifts USB to a different USB 3.0 hub and it started working fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all. Will try all of that later.

But if it´s because of the wrong USB port or extension cable I´ll be confused. Why is it working perfectly for some hours straight then and randomly crashes? If something was wrong with USB port or extension cable shouldn´t it be flickering all the time?

If it´s because the cable is loose on the Rift, why is it working again when I restart OVRservice.exe?

@cybereality  I sold my old computer, so I can´t test it.

@Log_a_Frog  I´m using HDMI. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you say you were using an extension cable? That can certainly be part of the issue. Can you try without any extension cables?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV