cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift: Venus Project

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
Hi People

After looking into a sustainable future and listening to the likes of Jacque Fresco and Peter Joseph. It got me thinking if anybody knows if there's anything going on with VR and the likes of the Venus project or any other similar projects of the same nature?

Personally I feel a visual VR message would be a great way to promote these future visions and also have a far deeper impact for the message that is trying to be sent!

I also think the likes if the Zeitgeist movement would also benefit from VR, would also help well to gain a wider audience.

Thoughts?........
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals
56 REPLIES 56

adriendod
Honored Guest
"Magneto" wrote:
"adriendod" wrote:
"Magneto" wrote:

Volunteer to some extent sure but when it gives everyone a high standard of living who wouldn't, you don't need everyone to contribute all the time, in fact a small amount is all that's needed at any time thanks to the science and technology involved, everything that can be automated is.

This is the main flaw of the venus project imo, replacing actual work by technology. Wait a minute... Who is going to drive this technology, who is going to BUILD the technology, who is going to maintain this technology??

If someone can answer these questions, I will believe in the project.

The thing people forget is the technology side of things is happening regardless, lots of work is already automated and most jobs that aren't could be quite easily, then there are all the jobs that don't need to even exist today as they contribute little to nothing to society and if anything only to the current system.

Think about it, if you have the tech to run most stuff and clever people already then what will everyone do with themselves in a system like this?

You could lie around all day and not work, that's fine for some but i think you'll find people motivated to contribute to something the feeds them and gives such a good quality of life, all it would take is some small percent to keep things going, really not much in fact. We already see it's possible with things like open source software and charity's. When people are freed from the daily grind and have all the leisure time they like, you'll find they'll follow their hobbies and interests, you'll have loads of people waiting to contribute their skills, as what goes into the system benefits everyone.

Consider this, vr could in theory replace a lot of stuff, tv's, cinemas, many work/meeting places etc, physically many things don't really need to exist, heck with AR we could eventually buy cheap functional clothes, furniture, homes etc that look amazing virtually, anything you like and others would see the same when everyone's walking around with glasses or contacts, resource wise we could live quite lightly if we wanted.

Im surprise people don't see the bigger picture here, If you understand the potential of vr you should surely see why a system like this makes sense?

This is pure madness. I clearly see why people dont see any potential in this. Not a serious scientist will ever believe in such a project.

The thing people forget is the technology side of things is happening regardless, lots of work is already automated and most jobs that aren't could be quite easily, then there are all the jobs that don't need to even exist today as they contribute little to nothing to society and if anything only to the current system.

Work is already automated? Fine! Let's say it will be. I dont know about you but I dont know any automated plant that dont need man power to make it run. Even in the future where everything is automated, what happens when that technology breaks? Oh you'll have robots repairing that technology? OK then who's repairing this robot when it fails?

Who's taking care of producing the energy to operate this technology? Robots too? I dont know if you see the catch 21 here.

You're gonna say a few people are gonna take care of that, ok. Why would they though? Spend 20 years at school to learn to be an enginer when you can just ... well do whatever you want.

Well anyway, at school, it would be robots teaching, and of course they would never evolve cause nobody would make the research, nobody would ever need to learn.

So many flaws, you should realize why even the wikipedia page on the venus project is empty.

AND PLEASE, stop the "at least they're trying" cause they are not, it's a pure scam.

Ok now i'll leave this thread and let you dream of a world of laziness.

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
In the far future all humans on earth will live in a single city to reduce lag. No need for anything fancy, small apartments of 100 square feet and tubes feeding us with water and nutrients to survive. We will be in VR 24/7 😄

Magneto
Honored Guest
"adriendod" wrote:

This is pure madness. I clearly see why people dont see any potential in this. Not a serious scientist will ever believe in such a project.

Work is already automated? Fine! Let's say it will be. I dont know about you but I dont know any automated plant that dont need man power to make it run. Even in the future where everything is automated, what happens when that technology breaks? Oh you'll have robots repairing that technology? OK then who's repairing this robot when it fails?

Who's taking care of producing the energy to operate this technology? Robots too? I dont know if you see the catch 21 here.

You're gonna say a few people are gonna take care of that, ok. Why would they though? Spend 20 years at school to learn to be an enginer when you can just ... well do whatever you want.

Well anyway, at school, it would be robots teaching, and of course they would never evolve cause nobody would make the research, nobody would ever need to learn.

So many flaws, you should realize why even the wikipedia page on the venus project is empty.

AND PLEASE, stop the "at least they're trying" cause they are not, it's a pure scam.

You can say it's mad or that people won't want to work all you like but we already see intelligent people willing to work to better the world, often for little or no reward. I know it's hard to understand from our current system and way of thinking, just look at star trek for an idea, just without the replicators and spaceships.

Anyway like i said this really isn't the place for discussing whether it would work or not, you can find all the answers elsewhere, it's all been said before, from what i've seen it's quite possible today and would make everyone's lives a lot better.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
"Magneto" wrote:
"adriendod" wrote:

You can say it's mad or that people won't want to work all you like but we already see intelligent people willing to work to better the world, often for little or no reward. I know it's hard to understand from our current system and way of thinking, just look at star trek for an idea, just without the replicators and spaceships.

Anyway like i said this really isn't the place for discussing whether it would work or not, you can find all the answers elsewhere, it's all been said before, from what i've seen it's quite possible today and would make everyone's lives a lot better.

Well said this thread is for the purpose of turning the Venus Project into a VR experience each person obviously has their own view on the matter/Venus Project. We are currently awaiting to hear what they say and if they accept we will proceed.
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals

PASAf
Honored Guest
In fact, from what I see in the video, they already implemented environment in CryEngine 3 Sandbox. In the video it was used for presentation purposes, but according to this comment on Reddit there are already was plans to make the MMO game. The question is on which stage this project is now?

We already have a good example of MMO based on CryEngine - it is Entropia Universe.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
"PASAf" wrote:
In fact, from what I see in the video, they already implemented environment in CryEngine 3 Sandbox. In the video it was used for presentation purposes, but according to this comment on Reddit there are already was plans to make the MMO game. The question is on which stage this project is now?

We already have a good example of MMO based on CryEngine - it is Entropia Universe.

Thanks for this info they did not mention this when they contacted me back was this aimed at VR do you know and is it actually in production?

PASAf
Honored Guest
AFAIK Andrew Buxton is strong supporter of the Venus Project, so all work done by him certainly will kept with project and will be used in Kickstarter-funded series (it is a main priority as for now) and the future full-length movie.

But as far as I can see the MMO game project is not listed on the current project list on the new website: http://www.thevenusproject.com/get-involved/current-projects

So I can guess that this project has stalled or has ultra-low priority as for now. Since it was started in 2011 when VR boom is not happened yet, the CryEngine had no support for HMDs, again I only can guess that no, there was no aims to VR at that time.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
Thanks for that I hadn't seen the Reddit thread before posting this, however it wasn't aimed at VR anyway tbh it was just an idea and I thought VR would be a great way to expose to a wider audience with the added touch of "Presence" some of Jacques great work.

Jossos
Honored Guest
"Magneto" wrote:
Yes people want to get rid of capitalism with all it's issues, no their system isn't 100% perfect yet but it would be far better than what we have for everyone not just the few.

This has never been demonstrated. Only in the imaginations of people who aren't scientists.

"Magneto" wrote:
Volunteer to some extent sure but when it gives everyone a high standard of living who wouldn't.

Yes I've seen the zeitgeist films you're quoting. So, here's my argument:

"Magneto" wrote:
you don't need everyone to contribute all the time, in fact a small amount is all that's needed at any time thanks to the science and technology involved

Firstly, you can't gauge how many people are needed because you haven't demonstrated, or even done the calculations to determine how many people are needed to run this machine which doesn't exist yet. Programming the system, let alone building all that technology is tedious and boring, and I guarantee you will get 0 people offering to put up their skills and time in doing so for no money.

"Magneto" wrote:
everything that can be automated is.

There is no evidence of this. What you have are a couple of high technologies which you show brief videos of, and then claim this can all be automated. Behind the scenes there is massive maintenance, and these technologies are expensive, not in terms of just money, but time and resources. It's easy when you are stooped in ignorance to claim "technology will solve it".

"Magneto" wrote:
Why's it lucky so few want a better world exactly?

911 conspiracy theorists want a better world.
People who believe in ghosts and magic want a better world.

You can do what you do under the guise of wanting the best for everyone, it doesn't then follow that what you are doing is even remotely helping, or that it could ever help.

"Magneto" wrote:
Lastly why don't you go away with the insults please, obviously you don't agree with it so why post.

Oh man, here we go:

"Magneto" wrote:
there is nothing conspiracy related at all

Peter Joseph is convinced 911 was an inside job, and said on the joe rogan show that cia agents gave terrorists bombs. I'm not saying it's the movement, but a huge number of your subscribers believe nonsense like this.

"Magneto" wrote:
simply a better system not based on capitalism, you can dislike the people involved all you want but the science and thinking is sound.

The "science" is not sound. The entire movement is mostly made up of non-scientists. The only person who comes close is Jacque Fresco, who once was an engineer for planes. He is not a social scientist. He's never contributed anything noteworthy to the scientific community.

He, and many others in the movement claim that there is no human nature, a claim no neuroscientist would dare ever make because we are stooped in ignorance in regards to the human brain. Sure humans are manipulable creatures, but you guys claim you know how to control that factor, which is complete bullshit because you have nothing but anecdotes, and you ignore every circumstance in the contrary.

And then, confronted with your own stupidity, you claim people like me are trolling so you don't have to argue the points.

PROVE that it works. Get the scientific community on your side. I will change my mind. You will make the hugest contributions to neuroscience in years if you figure this out.

Venus Project has received the donations, you could hypothetically make a small test community with all the right things to make a micro-example of this society. But no, what do these clowns do with the money? make stupid youtube videos that no one will ever watch, and now Jacque wants to build a theme park. like, what the fuck?

These are not smart people you are following, and these ideas are unproven.

You want me to propose a better system? the one we have now. At the moment you have nothing. Sure capitalism is utter crap, and it's flaws are colossal. I will gladly abandon this terrible way of life for something better, but unfortunately it is the best system we have ever had in regards to human life/ well being, whether you like it or not. Your ideas exist only in your dreams right now, and by the looks of things, that's where they will stay, because no one is willing to lift a finger to actually test any of the crap you spew online.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
I actually agree with a lot you just said there tbh! With a system like this there's going to be controversy and you're right it hasn't been proved hardly any of it for that matter!

Either way like you say no body wants to work for free! The resources involved in even starting the Venus Project are colossal!

The actual ignorance we live in is not people who want for better for human life itself it's for people who don't care at all! The way we live in the monetary system is disgusting but don't get me wrong while we're trapped in it I want to earn money the more the better!

It's things like this that annoy me there's technology and science available today which is highly capable of of completely altering things as in solar energy could be applied and it is doable even if it isn't solar freaking highways lol. There's plenty of other places to put them. We know this works and we know it's 100% sustainable but the government won't do it because of the money it will take out of the system!

There's also other things like affairs and jealousy I don't think the Venus Project would alter any crime/violence in the slightest when it come to issues like this but I do believe it would dramatically cut crime in other areas and reduce most crime!

I support the ideas of the Venus Project I do believe some are possible!