cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift & Xbox Scorpion - E3 Reveal - Exciting times ahead!!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hey everybody, I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now. I read some articles online saying how there's going to be a surprise reveal at E3 Sunday 11th June. A lot of speculation around what HMD Xbox Scorpio is going to be compatible with and it seems pretty obvious to the people writing the articles and to me that it's definitely going to be the Rift as this makes sense for so many reasons. Facebook and Microsoft are friends, Oculus and Microsoft are friends and you get a free Xbox One wireless joypad bundled with your Rift. 

I really think this is going to happen and we're all going to find out in 100 days.

This makes me excited for several reasons, the first reason I was planning on getting a Scorpio is because Scorpio will allow for 4K blu-ray playback. And a standalone 4K blu-ray cost £350+ so this just makes sense. Kind of like the reason why everyone bought a PS3 back in the day and said "well it comes with a blu-ray player so makes sense as you can watch your blu-rays on this console and play games". And the second reason is I like the idea of using a high end HMD like Rift with my Scorpio as well as my PC.

So I am very excited about this and really hope it happens. What do you guys think? Do you already know about this? And will you be excited for playing Xbox VR games using your Rift?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
10 REPLIES 10

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
That would be so cool playing xbox games on the rift. If this happens then definately i see the rift as the HMDI of the year and no second contender in sight, this would be so awesome

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I already have a high-end gaming PC, what do I need an Xbox for?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jayhawk
Superstar

nalex66 said:

I already have a high-end gaming PC, what do I need an Xbox for?

No one is saying you need an xbox. If there is compatibility it would be for those who are mainly console gamers and give them an option to buy a Rift and use it without having to spend 2 to 3x as much on a good PC. I've got a high-end gaming PC too, but I can't play Halo PVP on it, so scorpio will be a must have for me.

XMerc
Expert Protege
I really hope the Rift gets Xbox support in the future....would be a win for both companies.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I was just giving my thoughts on the question "Will you be excited for playing Xbox VR games using your Rift?"

If it moves more Rifts, I'm all for compatibility, but it doesn't do anything for me personally as a PC gamer.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jayhawk
Superstar

nalex66 said:

I was just giving my thoughts on the question "Will you be excited for playing Xbox VR games using your Rift?"

If it moves more Rifts, I'm all for compatibility, but it doesn't do anything for me personally as a PC gamer.

Maybe it's implying there will be xbox specific VR titles. I can't see that happening though.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

.....definitely going to be the Rift as this makes sense for so many reasons. Facebook and Microsoft are friends, Oculus and Microsoft are friends and you get a free Xbox One wireless joypad bundled with your Rift. ....

Sorry @skscotchegg - but the HMD to be shown at E2 was leaked at GDC/VRC -

The system is part of the MS Window 10 (Mixed Reality) initiative.
I know how you can get hyped up on the reasoning of possibilities, but there is always a swirling amount of politics in the background over positioning deals like this.

Obviously, there is still a possibility for a "sensational" deal happening before E3, but I think it's fair to say that the possibility for Rift and Xbone to be conjoined has passed and that MS have decided on a path away from the influence of CV1/OVR.

A lot of politics have also been played regarding the actual opportunity working with OVR executives and the MS VR Studio - all abandoned at this stage (both parties going their separate ways!) It is only a matter of time before the MS gamepad is superseded by the TOUCH / CV1 bundles.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this possibility was discussed before. But with Oculus focused on thier Oculus Home store, wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose of Rift going on the Xbox and having to share the revenue between MS's store? 

ShocksVR
Superstar
Why aren't Microsoft / Valve considered friends?

They're basically located 20 minutes away from each other, and I think Gabe Newell was a former Microsoft employee.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S