cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and FB bans happening October 20 2020

Jsauerii
Honored Guest
As of tonight I logged into my rarely used FascistBook account to see I had been warned for a previous conservative post the past few years, then banned for 1 day, 3 days, 7 days and then finally 30 days. Trying to figure out what happened i see Twitter is lighting up with thousands of bans for previous even year old posts that stepped up just like mine. Then I see that thousands of Oculus users are now BANNED from using their hardware which like in my case was bought from OCULUS, not FascistBook before I heard they had acquired it. I would have NEVER bought anything from FB knowing how they are with privacy or the lack thereof and their bias hatred towards the right.

I log into my barely used lately quest (knee surgery) to see I have to come to Oculus to determine if Oculus handles my account or FascistBook and see that in selecting oculus I am being punished and will few features and updates and better yet that my hardware has become a paperweight, a very expensive paperweight because they are forcing us on to that fascist platform in two years regardless.

What is the chance we will see a class action lawsuit stopping this? I know I for one will be contacting a friend in congress and trying to force a breakup.

Has this affected anyone else, Any ideas? And please just keep your anti conservative crap and your FB can do whatever it wants crap to yourself. I didn't purchase  Fascist VR system I bought an Oculus system, 2 in fact. Again, I would not have taken it for free coming from FB.
6 REPLIES 6

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I could use a fee quest 2 

Hmm, buy a reverb 2 and cut your loses, freedom is friends with mediocrity, bully is common in bad relationships no freedom there.

I have no quarrel myself, I'm nobody already mediocre by many standards life is good I guess.

Jsauerii
Honored Guest
For some of us with kids this was a once in a few years type of purchase, something we expected to last for years. No such thing as just cutting your losses and moving to the next thing.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
the way technology works, in my opinion is contradictory to how you see it. look at the dat disks from sony, or mindisk, both beautiful but they never took off, same for cd's. or record players. or walkmans and cassette tapes or even the radio you walk around with outside, all antiquated.

my opinion is treat vr no different than buying clothes or food or a taxi, its done then walk away from it. its not like a house or a car you keep for decades.

by believing that your stuck with facebook you are stuck with facebook. believe differently and new doors open up.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

the way technology works, in my opinion is contradictory to how you see it. 
by believing that your stuck with facebook you are stuck with facebook. believe differently and new doors open up.

Perception is an important part of the belief process at this point. It helps if you have a longer memory than a Wiki search, and a more in-depth knowledge of the development process. There is also a danger of revisionism and a lack of big picture think.

Some corrections - the Walkman (tape) was an incredibly successful system, the iPod of its age. At the same time, "boomboxes" and "GettoBlasters" were also remote music and radio systems that proved incredibly successful. That they are antiquated now, is not a measure that they were not successful in their day.

The view of the big picture - and believing differently - is that you base this on lessons. The lessons teach us that creating closed off ecosystems (such as Sony data disks, etc.,) fail to achieve penetration in a defined market. But Apple, creating a new market could enforce a reasonably strict ecosystem, but turn up the heat (gradually) as they gained more market share.

Facebook has taken a open system (VR), tried to buy out competition and content, then turn the heat right up from the start to achieve a goal of market domination. At the same time they have applied practices that are now being questioned by customers and governments. 

I like to point to a part of history a little back from the 1980's - try the 1910's.
Check out what happened to Standard Oil, their aspirations of forcing a ecosystem of domination on the market and how multiple government and civilian pressure forced their breakup. And then believe differently on what that means too Facebook!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i had good times with my walkman, the fox rocks, but what i meant was products even if they are new, doesn't make them future proof, and if you want something thats antiquated to be future proof your out of luck. what oculus was isn't what oculus is, right now.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Yeah, for me its fun to see the interest in cassette walkmen again after Guardians of the Galaxy, I never had the Sony Walkman, but the slightly more expensive Sony pro, that had the Dictaphone feature, and it was bullet proof. Would not be surprised if that formfactor comes back into play, as we are do a Retro-tech revival soon. 

After the modding community gets their hands on the Quest-2, I expect to see some stylish FrankenQuest's doing the rounds. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959