cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus brand being retired in early 2022, replaced with Meta

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

As part of Facebook's rebranding to Meta, they are going to move all of their products under the Meta brand.

As part of this, the Oculus brand will be discontinued early next year. We'll have the Meta Quest and Meta Quest App.

Meta Horizon will also be the new branding for all first party social experiences. Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

I guess we should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

On the plus side, Andrew Bosworth says: "we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally."

Ok, the cynic in me is thinking "Yep, it won't need a facebook account anymore, it will be a Meta account!" 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
107 REPLIES 107

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll be just sitting on my hands until that requirement is lifted.

To heck with ZuckBook.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NopeNoZuck wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I'll be just sitting on my hands until that requirement is lifted.

To heck with ZuckBook.  

Well even if they take that requirement out you will likely still be sharing data with "Meta" anyways. That is how they justify the lower price of their headsets.

I still don't get why people who hate Zuckerberg and Facebook are only held back from buying a Facebook designed and built VR headset due to a Facebook account login. Even if that login was totally removed, you are still pushing Zuckerberg's headset against your face.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

przecinek
Rising Star

Well it just happened yesterday. Oculus brand is being officially retired. 

Seems totally unnecessary and ego-driven. Imagine if Meta decides it annoys them Beat Saber is so popular so they rename it to Meta Beat Saber, then Meta Saber, and then Horizon Saber, it would hurt the brand but stroke Facebooks/Meta's ego and maybe help Meta in the long run, but only if look at it from a very expansive/hawkish point of view. 

@przecinek wrote:

Well it just happened yesterday. Oculus brand is being officially retired. 

Seems totally unnecessary and ego-driven. 

Where is the ego driven part? Whose ego, exactly? Keep in mind that Facebook rebranded itself, and downgraded the name "Facebook" to representing only the Social Media platform. Facebook is no longer the parent company. 

Facebook Inc. is now: Meta Platforms Inc.

They rebranded and retired themselves as a parent company. It doesn't really add up to suggest that all this is ego driven just because Oculus VR was included in the rebranding.

It makes far more sense to have a single brand with a single goal. Facebook bought Oculus in 2014 because Facebook believed then, and do now, that VR is the future. They believe it so much that they downgraded their own Social Media presence in favor of leading the charge in to the future of VR. That is the entire reason both the parent company and VR brand are simply: Meta.

i4110peter
Honored Guest

Ok, so now I am caught up in this. How do I get logged into my "Oculus Rift" headset now. Very unhappy!

dburne
Adventurer

All my data is gone and back to Level 1 poster. This is ridiculous Oculus.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This thread is not about the current outage. We should try to stick to the topic of the thread., which is about the brand retiring.

How to use a headset or reporting lost data should be discussed in more appropriate threads. No need to derail this one.