cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus is updating and will not run unless i reinstall?

ky4jw
Protege
I have installed the Oculus software at least 4 times. When I click on the icon to run it says it is updating or something like that. The only thing I can do is reinstall the software. What am I doing wrong?
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you installed Oculus Home with the Rift cables un-plugged? Try plugging the cables in after a clean install and reboot. By clean install, I mean remove any Oculus folders and files after running a registry cleaner, reboot and start over with the cables unplugged.

You can also confirm that your USB root hubs are updated with the latest drivers direct from the USB providers website. Don't rely on Windows update or the Mobo vender site for the best USB drivers. Identify your chipset and USB hub vendor and seek out the latest driver.  This can take some time but, it can also save you a lot of headaches with USB-related issues in the long run.

notaprimenumber
Protege

ky4jw said:

I have installed the Oculus software at least 4 times. When I click on the icon to run it says it is updating or something like that. The only thing I can do is reinstall the software. What am I doing wrong?

Did you, by chance, set the service as manual and did not launch it beforehand? Because the generic error "Your Oculus software may be updating blah blah" happens if you don't launch it manually or by .bat.

ky4jw
Protege
Explain Set the service manual.... Not Shure what you are saying. 

notaprimenumber
Protege
Well, if you ask, I assume you didn't do it, therefore my suggestion was unfounded, sorry again.

To answer in a more generic sense, not helpful this time, when you install oculus software it installs a resident service. Some people find it bothersome, or just like to be in control of what runs on their computer.
Switching to manual, or even disabling some services is something I've always done in every subsequent version of ms windows, from too many versions ago. Setting the oculus service as manual, and enabling/starting it only when it's needed, is what I and others do. Is it needed? Not really.
But if you do that, and try to start home without enabling/starting the service, the system gives an error like the one I described. Since it is very similar to what you have, I thought it might be the case. Sorry!

ky4jw
Protege
Thanks for the very good info. I just stopped the Oculus service from running at bootup.. ill see if that done take care of it. 

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
Occasionally I get this problem, even though I didn't block anything from running. If it happens I just manually run OVRServer_x64.exe

notaprimenumber
Protege

ky4jw said:

Thanks for the very good info. I just stopped the Oculus service from running at bootup.. ill see if that done take care of it. 

Wait, you stopped the service from running now, but you already had the symptom! So all that (and I mean my spiel) wasn't related, it was just processing management/paranoia/low-ish ram or whatever. Stopping the service will surely give you the same error, but you haven't found the reason it came up in the first place! But of course, stopping it an starting it again is very IT, so not a bad thing to try anyway. In your situation I would try the HMD/cables/eventual PCIe usb3 card on another computer, to replicate or exclude the problem. All in all, take data (screenshots, logs...), try what you can, then meekly heed the support ticket way. Patience, my friend.

edit: redaction