cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus rift CK2 speculation thread

wazzoz99
Honored Guest
So now basically we know what the spec of the first consumer rift model will be as Oculus has even said Dk2 is close to ck1 aside from some adjustment, what do you guys think the 2nd gen Oculus rift will encompass. According to tech trends, a second generation will usually be released 2 years after the first gen so id expect Oculus to anounce Ck2 for general release at around 2017. Personally im more excited by Ck2 as ive tried Hd DK1, aside from the motion blur and lack of positional tracking which has been resolved, the resolution was still horrible despite improvements. Not to mentioned they would have ironed out software and optics/fov problems. Tho im still purchasing ck1
22 REPLIES 22

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Rift 2 might be a standalone unit powered by Android with the capability of connecting to a normal PC.

Morpheox
Honored Guest
I would say wireless and 4k are gonna be the most likely improvements for cv2, but of course its pure speculation, because we dont know how many consumer versions are gonna be selled, a lot of things can happen.

MannyLectro
Explorer
I'd also vote for 4k and wireless, and I would add some form of internal positional tracking, or at least something working without an external camera !
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

wazzoz99
Honored Guest
4k is realistic, but wireless..errr no...i would predict that to be in the 4th generation of Oculus rift headsets, thats if they still stay relevent within the next ten years.

Morpheox
Honored Guest
"wazzoz99" wrote:
4k is realistic, but wireless..errr no...i would predict that to be in the 4th generation of Oculus rift headsets, thats if they still stay relevent within the next ten years.

I actually think its easier to make it wireless than to make it 4k, there are already a lot of wireless rifts out there, with some problems of latency of course, but they are there. Now, there are no 4k rifts, because 4k mobile screens just dont exist yet.

mrjazz
Honored Guest
4k@90Hz are about 18GBits/s. Can this be done with HDMI 2.0? If not, then we would have to wait for a standard, which is not even announced. I have the feeling that we have to wait several years until a 4k-Rift becomes reality.
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

ad2003
Honored Guest
speculation: CK2 might not be such an open system any longer. For instance if Steam and Oculus get more and more into a connection - maybe the Oculus CK2 will be more or less a Steam Machine, driven by a Cloudbased Stream like "onlive" was. I think cloud based computing could be an option for VR in general. I don't know

It will take it's time and there will be many other VRSystems coming, until ck2 will come out. If VR gets popular soon - I think every tech company jumps on that train...so there will be a lot of competition and development I guess.
My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de

Morpheox
Honored Guest
"ad2003" wrote:
speculation: CK2 might not be such an open system any longer. For instance if Steam and Oculus get more and more into a connection - maybe the Oculus CK2 will be more or less a Steam Machine, driven by a Cloudbased Stream like "onlive" was. I think cloud based computing could be an option for VR in general. I don't know

It will take it's time and there will be many other VRSystems coming, until ck2 will come out. If VR gets popular soon - I think every tech company jumps on that train...so there will be a lot of competition and development I guess.

Unless the speed of light grows, i doubt cloud vr will ever be a thing.

ad2003
Honored Guest
"Morpheox" wrote:

Unless the speed of light grows, i doubt cloud vr will ever be a thing.

haha...maybe. But I must say that onlive really worked very well. Latency was unbelievable low. If you are in the states or uk you can test it for yourself. I used it via proxy from germany - and even this worked quite well.
My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de