cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 1 HDMI Output?!

oliv897
Honored Guest
You may have seen my post about my sad story of the crappiest christmas I've had? well it turns out I may not have to sell my rift afterall but currently it's not usable... my Grandad said he could not let me go without a PC not with my youtube channel taking off ad my work in VR... he broke his hip a few months ago and being the good guy that always gets the bad karma he said I've done to much and he needs to buy me a PC the best money can buy so naturally I found the cheapest possible...

Bringing me to my problem... I have an onbaord graphics card and though it plays the latest games on Ultra I feel it would handle the rift fine.. it is built into my processor which is an i5-4th edition so it is rather powerful for an onboard!

It has 2 outputs VGA and HDMI, I cannot use my monitor via VGA as I use a 40 inch plasma screen 1080P TV (go me lol) so it requires the use of the HDMI output... you see that's where my trouble is... I've always longed for the day I'd make it in the gaming world and that day is upon me... my VR Youtube channel is taking off and my experiments with VR in general though private are in my eyes part of the path to true virtual everything..

I NEED to be able to use my rift... what can I do?

(Also don't suggest buying things... the NHS has turned its back on me and decided I need to pay my medical fees... I already spend food money on that so hungry enough as it is!)
10 REPLIES 10

ziphnor
Expert Protege
The plasma TV wouldnt happen to have a VGA input?(most TVs do).

However, i dont think you will enjoy using the rift with onboard graphics, even if its a haswell i5.
Windows 8.1 | i7 5820k@4.3Ghz | Asus Strix 980 GTX | Asus X99-A motherboard | 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 1TB Samsung 840 EV0 SSD | Corsair HX750i PSU

oliv897
Honored Guest
It does but it only support a max resolution of 1024x768 which naturally looks rather big and pixelated on my screen...

And how come man? is it at all different? my old card which ran the rift fine is half as good as this onboard graphics card so theoretically it should run better?

saviornt
Protege
Theory and actuality are complete different monsters. If you're tight on funds, I would suggest a USB graphics card with DVI or HDMI output for your TV. You can find them here.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

ziphnor
Expert Protege
"oliv897" wrote:
It does but it only support a max resolution of 1024x768 which naturally looks rather big and pixelated on my screen...

Hmm, then its going to be tricky. You can try to use a VR desktop application and then only use the Rift, but i have a feeling that it will be kind of frustrating. The only other think i can think is trying a really old used video card for next to nothing and then use that with the TV and the onboard graphics with the Rift ( i know you said you dont have money to buy anything, but a sufficiently old video card might be practically free).

And how come man? is it at all different? my old card which ran the rift fine is half as good as this onboard graphics card so theoretically it should run better?

A new i5 has Intel HD 4600 onboard graphics i believe? I brought my DK1 to work one day and used my work desktop machine for the demonstration, it has a 4770k CPU which also has HD 4600 graphics. Even with the lower resolution DK1, many demos were unplayable running at perhaps 30 fps. I dont think it would be pretty with the dk2's higher resolution and higher target fps (75 vs 60 fps). What was your old gfx card?

Looking at say passmark scores, the 4600 has a score of 729 putting it alongside cards like a GT 530. My old card, (Radeon HD6870) that i just upgraded from (because it wasnt fast enough for Dk2 use, struggling in a few demos), has a score of 2583.
Windows 8.1 | i7 5820k@4.3Ghz | Asus Strix 980 GTX | Asus X99-A motherboard | 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz | 1TB Samsung 840 EV0 SSD | Corsair HX750i PSU

saviornt
Protege
As another note, you could always sell the TV, get a good monitor and a gtx 970. Priorities.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

oliv897
Honored Guest
"ziphnor" wrote:
"oliv897" wrote:

Hmm, then its going to be tricky. You can try to use a VR desktop application and then only use the Rift, but i have a feeling that it will be kind of frustrating. The only other think i can think is trying a really old used video card for next to nothing and then use that with the TV and the onboard graphics with the Rift ( i know you said you dont have money to buy anything, but a sufficiently old video card might be practically free).

A new i5 has Intel HD 4600 onboard graphics i believe? I brought my DK1 to work one day and used my work desktop machine for the demonstration, it has a 4770k CPU which also has HD 4600 graphics. Even with the lower resolution DK1, many demos were unplayable running at perhaps 30 fps. I dont think it would be pretty with the dk2's higher resolution and higher target fps (75 vs 60 fps). What was your old gfx card?

Looking at say passmark scores, the 4600 has a score of 729 putting it alongside cards like a GT 530. My old card, (Radeon HD6870) that i just upgraded from (because it wasnt fast enough for Dk2 use, struggling in a few demos), has a score of 2583.

My old one was a Radeon HD 4th series but it boasted 4GB Graphics RAM so it played latest on medium to high no problems lol.

"saviornt" wrote:
As another note, you could always sell the TV, get a good monitor and a gtx 970. Priorities.

I thought about that but I'm semi blind in RL the TV is more so I can put the resolution down and actually see what am doing hahaa

ziphnor
Expert Protege
"oliv897" wrote:

My old one was a Radeon HD 4th series but it boasted 4GB Graphics RAM so it played latest on medium to high no problems lol.

So let me get this straight. Your old computer had a video card with 4GB of VRAM (what was the exact model?), that could play the latest games on med/high? That card is most likely a lot faster than your onboard graphics... I read in your other thread that your computer died on you, but have you tried moving the video card to your new PC?

"oliv897" wrote:

I thought about that but I'm semi blind in RL the TV is more so I can put the resolution down and actually see what am doing hahaa

Then why is the 1024x768 TV VGA restriction such a big a problem? Does the Rift work okay for you, even with that much of a vision impairment?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not going to lie .. it sounds like you are just out of luck. You need a real GPU (top 10%) out there atm. Onboard might work, but they lack real performance, onboard ram, and many other things to be able to even compete with a real card.

If you need more ports - then get a usb to hdmi or a digital to analog converter. That or find a cheap video card to throw in there.

Gamming isn't cheap... and people they try to cheap out on gaming hardware later find that their PC can't keep up with their needs over the years.

MidnightSun323
Honored Guest
"oliv897" wrote:

I NEED to be able to use my rift... what can I do?

(Also don't suggest buying things... the NHS has turned its back on me and decided I need to pay my medical fees... I already spend food money on that so hungry enough as it is!)

The rift is a development kit that requires very expensive hardware to run properly. Unless you have a decent amount of disposable income, it's probably not something you need. If you can't afford to eat then I'd suggest getting your priorities lined out first. How did you pay for it in the first place? I mean, this whole thread makes no sense. You claim to have a YouTube channel and done VR experiments, but don't know the difference between on board graphics and dedicated GPUs. Do you have any links to your YouTube channel?