Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenXR Support is in the latest PTC release

kojack
MVP
MVP
I just saw this on twitter.
Rift Public Test Channel has our preview release which is fairly complete, we don't yet ship the .json manifest but you can create one and either point the XR_RUNTIME_JSON environment variable at it or set the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\ActiveRuntime reg key. The .json should look like (for x64):
{
    "file_format_version": "1.0.0",
    "runtime":
    {
        "api_version": "1.0",
        "name": "Oculus OpenXR",
        "library_path": "c:\\Program Files\\Oculus\\Support\\oculus-runtime\\LibOVRRT64_1.dll"
    }
}
substitute LibOVRRT32_1.dll for the  /reg:32 version.

https://twitter.com/MrCatid/status/1171615012328050689

I haven't tried it yet (I'm at work).

OpenXR is the cross platform AR/VR standard, allowing a VR app to run on any OpenXR compatible VR headset without changes.

Microsoft already supports OpenXR on WMR headsets. AFAIK Valve currently doesn't have support in SteamVR.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
18 REPLIES 18

kojack
MVP
MVP
I just tried an Unreal scene with the oculus and steam plugins disabled and only the openxr plugin. I couldn't get it to go to the headset. The logs first said it couldn't find the openxr runtime when I tried just the registry key method above, so I set the environment variable. That got rid of the error, but it still didn't go to the headset.

Early days I guess. OpenXR 1.0 only came out last month and almost no headsets support it yet besides WMR and Varjo.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

GeekyGami
Adventurer
Any updates on the current state of things?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing totally big news wise, but they did get added to blender I believe was the last I heard? 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Coincidentally Valve released prototype OpenXR support in the SteamVR beta yesterday.
“Our definition of initial support is that SteamVR is currently passing
95% of conformance tests. This means now is the time to start testing
things,” Valve explains. “SteamVR’s OpenXR implementation supports D3D11
on Windows, and Vulkan on both Windows and Linux. Support for both
D3D12 on Windows is on the way.”

https://uploadvr.com/valve-openxr-steamvr-beta/

I haven't tried OpenXR since this thread, so I'm not sure what the current oculus state is.

GeekyGami
Adventurer
That's what I'm wondering about.
I want to test the OpenVR OpenXR implementation.
If it turns out to be as terrible as using OpenVR to begin with then that's just gonna be a hot mess.
If it isn't however it'll be bliss

Anonymous
Not applicable
Valve added OpenXR support a few days ago I think. I thought that Oculus did this a month ago?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, this was available since runtime v14:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/dg-openxr/

OpenXR for Native C/C++ PC Development
To begin using OpenXR for Oculus PC development, developers must meet the following requirements:
  • Oculus PC SDK 1.43 or later.
  • Oculus PC runtime v14 or later.
Use the OpenXR headers and loader from the Khronos Group’s OpenXR-SDK GitHub page. Use the Windows 32-bit or 64-bit loader build instructions to match your application’s configuration.

And they added the Mobile version in April.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops, didn't notice this was a necro post!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a follow  up - should be fine - this type of stuff takes time