cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIMAX 12K QLED Headset 200HZ, Face, Eye Tracking, Foveted Rendering, Full Body Tracking...

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Live now. Seems very ambitious.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
42 REPLIES 42

kojack
MVP
MVP

5620×2720 200Hz per eye in PCVR mode, 4k per eye in stand alone mode, but it's running on the same Snapdragon XR2 CPU/GPU SOC as the Quest 2. That should be interesting.

It also has 11 cameras (the Snapdragon XR2 can only handle 7).

"You can enjoy PC VR content as well as standalone VR content using one single device… It's never been like that for any other VR headset."

Umm, Pimax might want to check out something called the Quest. And Quest 2. And Pico Neo 2. And Pico Neo 3. Etc

"We are the world's first to implement Mini-LEDs"

Varjo Aero already has it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kojack wrote:

5620×2720 200Hz per eye in PCVR mode, 4k per eye in stand alone mode, but it's running on the same Snapdragon XR2 CPU/GPU SOC as the Quest 2. That should be interesting.

It also has 11 cameras (the Snapdragon XR2 can only handle 7).

"You can enjoy PC VR content as well as standalone VR content using one single device… It's never been like that for any other VR headset."

Umm, Pimax might want to check out something called the Quest. And Quest 2. And Pico Neo 2. And Pico Neo 3. Etc

"We are the world's first to implement Mini-LEDs"

Varjo Aero already has it.

In other words Pimax has no problem telling lies about their product. And who knows what else might come out and actually ship before they get their unit out that they are already stating about a year away. Like I don't know maybe Quest Pro...

With the XR2 in that res, we may be able to make some coffee and generally enjoy many aspects of a normal non-VR life - between each frame 🙂

So Pimax went for the greatest res and powered the thing with a Commodore 64... 

Also they put so much effort into hmds, but provide no content. Not going to play Alyx again, and Lone Echo 2 struggles with Index res 200% in 80 fps... I'll need at least a RTX 4090 to get Lone Echo 2 flying - and that's just with the Index in 80 fps. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

4th Quarter 2022 is a dangerous time, I've heard stories of a Sony dragon arriving there, and it will arrive with much new content - and it supports no low-end XR2, but a gpu probably close to RTX 3080 in effective performance. And there's true oled. I have a gut feeling that the Sony dragon could be ready now, but that the content takes a lot of time to make. 

Maybe Pimax needs as many preorders as possible  before the above happens..  

Pimax sound system and controllers may indicate that Valve cannot supply them with base stations etc and that Pimax had to find other (degraded?) solutions, at least the controllers don't look good to me. Inside-out tracking is a red flag to me.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

The fundamentals we can take away now the dust is starting to settle, following the reveal, is that the prosumer market is thirsty for what is being proposed, but are still unsure if Pimax has the chops to complete. A sector of the market once served by CV1, hoped for CV2 and ended up abandoning Rift-S for the likes of HP, HTC and is select cases Varjo - prepared to pay for performance.

The whole issue about the supply chain impact means the Q4 proposed date is more than ambitious by Pimax. 

Another interesting takeaway is the news from Asia that Pimax, while looking on the surface to be looking fluid, has run into investment and financial questions, and may look to additional investment to achieve certain milestones.

I lump Pimax and KATVR in a similar boat regarding their management style and business skillset. Both seemed to have positive crowd sourcing ventures under their belt, only for high-level exec departures, and then sudden issues with needing to refinance - usually followed by grandiose claims of new "ground breaking" launches in their future, (may be I should add Magic Leap to that list!)  

With the teasing of the new Oculus, the launch of new HP, HTC, Varjo, Pimax and Lynx systems - things are moving. Though to be frank more in a high-end PC direction. We await the reaching of the all important 8m milestone for Quest2 to better help us gauge the penetration of the hardware (away from the folly of trying to use the Steam survey data).

The birth of the "HybridVR" genre of systems seems to be on us, and while Pimax may still launch something - they and HTC have obviously opened a door on the next genre of development (part standalone/part tethered - all high-end). will Sony's Project Dragon (PSVR2) add to the momentum come Q4 2022, and possibly upstage Pimax? 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

I don't think Pimax will be competing against PS5. PS5 is a closed system console. Pimax is open PCVR and Standalone. Different markets and goals imo. Pimax will be competing against whatever Valve and others have in store as well as Quest 3 plus any newcomers to stand alone. It will be able to run anything already out and anything coming. For simmers it could be a dream headset with that FoV and resolution...if they can work out a way not to blow up your GPU with foveated rendering or other tricks.

Also PS5 only has about 10 tflops of computational power but with optimizations is probably around a 3060 maybe 3060ti but I'm skeptical. I'm not sure what the AMD equivalent of that would be. It will be a good VR experience but won't be able to push frames on par with what a 3080 can push even with optimizations. PS5 has shared 16gb of ram between the CPU and gpu which is also good...and bad as they can bog each other but on a locked console, that's on the developers to stop that from happening but could provide some unique bottlenecks. It does have a super fast SSD though that seems very efficient. By the time that comes out though, the "4080" or whatever the moniker ends up being will be approaching release. I imagine most who would spend 2300 on a HMD will be getting a 4080 lol. So yea, totally different markets to me considering a ps5 MSRP is 499 and doubtful PSVR 2 will be more than that so yea, like 1/5th the price to step into PSVR 2 and be playing.

Bit disingenuous of you Kojack, when it's obvious they are talking about native PCVR gaming. But, they really do need to stop making these sorts of translation errors. What was also horrible, the white subtitles over a white background during the presentation. I mean, who approved that?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Good points, my thoughts more being that Alyx performed great with my GTX 1080, and with highly optimized PS5 titles we might be able to see PSVR2 games with surprisingly great graphics and performance. Using the AMD gpu, PS5 may deliver awesome UE5 performance too. I wouldn't be surprised if skilled devs can make 10 PS5 tflops look like at least 15 PCVR tflops, and then there's the poly count, where Sony might be able to aim high too. I know many PCVR devs aim at slow processors in order not to limit their buyers too much, and if Sony drops PSVR1 compatibility, PSVR2 could be surprisingly great.

Also Series 30 seems to get unrealistic high tflop values, which has been discussed before. A 2080 Ti is only 13 tflops, while 3090 is 36 tflops - but in 4k games 3090 is only 50% faster than 2080 Ti:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-strix-oc/32.html

- so in real games 3090 might more realistically compare to 19 - 20 tflops.

I have high hopes for PSVR2, while PCVR may be flooded with more and more low-poly Quest ports, but interesting if PSVR2 will drive new high-end PCVR games too.

Over here the PS5 costs more than $ 1,000 in local shops, and PSVR2 could easily be $ 500, but of course this could change a lot until Q4 2022.

No intention to be disingenuous S. - implying anyone knew less about the situation. I had no intention to drag the argument about PCVR against MobileVR conversions - that is a topic for another post I would suggest, though seems to be being discussed on the RE-Evil discussion as well. 

Pimax are talking PCVR - but they are also looking very much at a hybrid approach, similar to Quest2 in many ways, but with a high-end PC focus. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

My comment was directed at Kojack.