cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIMAX 12K QLED Headset 200HZ, Face, Eye Tracking, Foveted Rendering, Full Body Tracking...

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Live now. Seems very ambitious.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
42 REPLIES 42

@Shadowmask72 wrote:

Bit disingenuous of you K, when it's obvious they are talking about native PCVR gaming. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is disingenuous considering that the difference between native PCVR vs Streaming PCVR is "compression vs non-compression." Unless there's something else I'm missing here?

I mean, that difference is huge for the hardcore prosumer who is measuring every bit of every frame, but I would say that it is more disingenuous for Pimax to say that it has "never been done before."

It is great to see you back on the forum, buddy! And I have to ask... is there a specific reason why you always give Pimax a free pass on their blatant misrepresentations? Back when they marketed 8K based on the idea that it is "4K per eye," it didn't seem to bother you that this is really just 4K since both eyes work together with the brain; so the brain doesn't perceive 4K x 2 in order to give us 8K. But you were totally fine with Pimax saying, "this is 8K." And here we are again where Pimax is saying that going from PCVR to Stand-Alone with one headset will be the "first time ever." And you are totally fine with it because... it is native instead of streaming.

Do you not see the benefit of honest advertising? What would have been so bad if Pimax had marketed their 4K as simply 4K, instead of doubling the math? What would be so bad if this time around Pimax simply marketed Native PCVR with Stand-Alone support, instead of marketing PCVR/Stand-Alone as a "first time ever" combo?

Thanks for the clarification.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

This is a prosumer device so you would expect users to be focused on the details and native should always be superior to streaming. Therefore, their statement would be correct, except they fudged it by not including the word "native".  Maybe I am totally wrong and their wording is deliberate.  There is no other headset that offers standalone gaming and PC native tethered gaming at present.  But if that's not what they meant and they are deliberately ignoring one of the most successful and well documented VR devices of our time (Quest (2)) for the sake of promotional words, then I agree they are being disingenuous or economical with their words.

I don't have any love affair with Pimax, but I do respect that they at least try to push some VR boundaries. And for that I hope they can pull it off.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

@Shadowmask72 wrote:

This is a prosumer device so you would expect users to be focused on the details and native should always be superior to streaming. Therefore, their statement would be correct, except they fudged it by not including the word "native".  Maybe I am totally wrong and their wording is deliberate.  There is no other headset that offers standalone gaming and PC native tethered gaming at present.  But if that's not what they meant and they are deliberately ignoring one of the most successful and well documented VR devices of our time (Quest (2)) for the sake of promotional words, then I agree they are being disingenuous or economical with their words.

Would a company who intentionally marketed "4K per eye" as "8K" - despite the most widely published and well documented medical science concluding that both eyes work in unison - also intentionally claim that they are the first company ever to offer a VR HMD that serves as both stand-alone and PCVR??

Maybe, maybe not. But considering that Pimax has a bad track record with intentional misrepresentation, I see no reason to give them an instant free pass by ignoring the multiple times they have been disingenuous.

@Shadowmask72 wrote:

I don't have any love affair with Pimax, but I do respect that they at least try to push some VR boundaries. And for that I hope they can pull it off.

Which boundaries are they pushing? Can you be specific? Keep in mind that to truly push a boundary, one has to actually achieve something successfully. Not just market something as "one thing" when in reality it does "something different."

When it comes to visuals, Pimax is still far behind. Go check out any Pimax Video where someone is playing the new Lone Echo 2. The visuals are quite terrible (bending, artifacts, etc) compared to something seemingly lower end like Quest 2.

As far as I can tell, Pimax simply capitalizes on buzz words and hot topics. Pimax seems more interested in false advertising in order to generate revenue however possible. The only boundary I see them pushing is the false advertisement boundary.

Lastly, this announcement doesn't seem 100% truly Native PCVR. Since the Pimax Engine is still managing/interpreting the data coming from the PC and GPU before it gets presented to the end-user:

Zenbane_0-1635283397611.png

Not to mention that if users take advantage of the Wireless PCVR route that Pimax offers, then it is certainly NOT native.

This architecture does look very much like the Oculus Quest 2 architecture. Where the key difference is that the cable for the Quest 2 is going through the XR2 Qualcomm. But we will not know the full differential here without knowing the inner workings of the Pimax PCVR Engine.

And in truth, it wouldn't surprise me if that Pimax PCVR Engine actually resides inside the XR2 itself. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pimax has a history of dubious wording which I normally refer to as lies.

But that is my opinion but one of the main reasons I will never own a Pimax unit.

As far as their devices best I can tell they do have some good units out there, but their quality seems to be quite inconsistent. I have seen folks report the same that have received multiple headsets from them.

Personally I think it is kind of ludicrous to come out with a big announcement of a product that is at least a year or more away to try and gin up sales of existing product by offering what they did.

pyroth309
Visionary

Yea, I'm indifferent to Pimax as a company personally. I know their history but I've also seen them go through a lot of changes both internally and with strategy. I always felt like their previous efforts were just brute force oriented and offering little in terms of innovation except for the wide FoV. But due to the distortion of the lenses, results seem mixed whether they pulled that off properly or not. I know some people swear by the 8kX but I never wanted to gamble on it since I'd have to mod it so much to make it acceptable to me as a daily driver. Upgraded strap, audio etc.

I do like this new direction by them of pushing the tech forward and highlighting the new lens tech, the foveated rendering, the wigig wireless etc. At this point I don't care about the misleading 12k moniker personally. The damage is done, it wouldn't grab the same headlines naming it the 6K when they already have an 8K out there. So that part doesn't bother me.

That said, a lot can and will happen in a year. If this still looks like a top tier headset come november next year, I might get on board then. In mean time I will monitor and see what happens until then.

Is SweViver still leading up Pimax's PR efforts? If so... I think that says a lot about their upcoming "strategy" 🤔

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/ec1j08/dear_sweviver/

@Zenbane wrote:

Is SweViver still leading up Pimax's PR efforts? If so... I think that says a lot about their upcoming "strategy" 🤔

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/ec1j08/dear_sweviver/

Yea Iv'e seen that before...and worse lol. Sweviver is a dishonest sellout, never liked him and his voice is like nails on a chalkboard. I only linked a vid to his youtube page because that was the only one I could find it on. Official pimax didn't have it...which is a bit sus. Not sure why he's allowed to draw people to his youtube over the Pimax official because it's still not on the official.

So yea, still some flags with that company.

If you are going to call me disingenuous, could you at least explain where? Were the two quotes I took from a news article on the launch not correct?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Don't worry guys it's me being dubious and disingenuous, condoning the Chinese style of marketing and ignoring the fact Pimax are economical with words and numbers which they can simply claim is a lost in translation thing despite having English speaking people working for them now.