cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIMAX 12K QLED Headset 200HZ, Face, Eye Tracking, Foveted Rendering, Full Body Tracking...

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Live now. Seems very ambitious.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
42 REPLIES 42

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Have to admit that the sound may be awesome - speakers are indeed made by Tectonic, the company behind the Index speakers too, but this is a newer model:

epd6x35ffqv71.png

Quote from Valve:  "We came across BMR (Balance Mode Radiator) speakers during our driver evaluation stage and immediately noticed several positive benefits: They reduced coloration due to speaker mispositioning, were almost within range of our weight target, had great frequency response in high-mid ranges (important for binaural simulations), and were much thinner than traditional speaker drivers. We began working with Tectonic to design a custom driver for use as an off-ear speaker."

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/deep-dive/ear-speakers

Tectonic is BMR is here: https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/audio-components/bmr-speakers/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@Shadowmask72 wrote:

Don't worry guys it's me being dubious and disingenuous, condoning the Chinese style of marketing and ignoring the fact Pimax are economical with words and numbers which they can simply claim is a lost in translation thing despite having English speaking people working for them now. 

Well my friend, you only seem to have two styles of approach when talking about Pimax:

• Ignore the details of what they produce and market while making broad claims about what they have achieved.
  • Ignore requests from other posters to give specific detailed examples that may help substantiate any of your claims.

Your overall approach with Pimax has always been "avoid the details, respond with broad strokes." This is why I am always asking the reason for giving Pimax such a free pass. I have enjoyed your posts for years, and when you are talking about any other subject... you are always 100% willing to dive in to the details. It is only with Pimax that you give these high-level vague responses and avoid directly addressing any challenges.

I think that if Pimax had something truly compelling to offer that it would be fairly easy to present it without all the broad hyperbole.

Most likely due to feeling invested in them as an original Kickstarter backer whether that's warranted or not. FOV was a massively requested want from many people years ago, but it seems that has taken a back seat to things like Resolution etc. So I commended them for at least trying to accommodate that.  I also met them in person in Germany a couple of years back and they seem like genuinely "nice" people including the loveable rogue Sweviver briefly. So it's simply my own bias showing through.  I should try to be more objective though.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Ok, I couldn't help myself and ordered a Pimax 8kx (KDMAS) today from Amazon Au.  It'll be interesting to see how it compares to my +2.5yo Vive Pro (with Etsy lens mod and Index controllers).  I'll have to tell my wife that the good news is that it's less than 1/2 the price of a Vario Aero, lol!  Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Review please.  I seen a MS flight sim review on YT with that Pimax comparing it to Aero and the reviewer was torn which one he liked better. 

I've been stalking this site and hoping to see them become closer to actually having stock. Hope not another disappointment like Deca-Gear was. I'm fine with my G2 with index controllers and Quest 2 for my needs for now, I'm FOV indifferent as long as the sweet spot is oh so sweet. I have an open mind but look forward to the new gen oled HMD's that will eventually be common. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

@ohgrant  Ok, here's a very short review.  Spoiler; I've returned my Pimax 8kx to Amazon for a refund.

I had a pretty so-so experience with my new Pimax 8kx today. I had intended to use it with all my flight/racing sims to see if it could replace my +2.5yo Vive Pro (amoled screens, 2x 2.0 base stations, Etsy lens mod, and Index controllers). Even with a 3090 I found I needed to crank the visuals down to get reasonable performance at 90Hz (bit better at 75Hz).  So while I did get a very nice FOV the sweet spot was not nearly as good as with my VP1. I thought the 8kx lens fresnel circles were pretty bad. Worse that I have ever seen with other fresnel lens headsets, including my Quest 2. I'm probably a little spoilt with my VP1 Etsy Gear VR lens mod. The 8kx did have less SDE than my VP!, but about the same as my Q2.

I also found that the Index controllers did not always play/track well, esp. if they went slightly farther apart, but not too bad.

The thing that really ticked me off with the 8kx is that it cannot use Blue Tooth to auto-start base stations and to go to sleep after exiting SteamVR. The only solution for me (because I don't have an android phone) was to pull the power plugs.  So, billing this as a SteamVR headset that cannot either access base station BT, nor soley use SteamVR without pimax software (pi-tools) in the background is maybe a little dishonest  imho.  Apparently this issue is due to Valve's licencing restrictions that limits the use of it's BT to Valve and Vive headsets.  I guess that this limitation also applies to other so-called SteamVR headsets that utilise lighthouse tracking like the Vario Aero.  Certainly not something that I've seen mentioned by any YouTuber reviews. 

I also did not find the headset very comfortable and unlike the VP1 headphones that can hinge outward, it made putting the headset on/off a bit more difficult than it should be.

I did play around with most setting, including contrast/colours and IPD adjustments. My IPD is 69.0mm measured and I found I got better results with the 8kx set to 67.0mm.  Colour/contrast adjustments worked pretty well but I was unable to find a global setting to suit all games/sims.  So I guess you'd need to adjust these settings individually and use the pi-tools software to launch it.

After all that I reconnected my VP1 an found I needed to go though the whole VP1 setup again for SteamVR to work properly (including room setup). So much for thinking I was ever going to be able to easily switch between the 8kx and VP1 headsets, lol!  Actually, switching between my VP1 and Q2 (mainly using Air Link) is very fast/easy thanks to the VP1 link box on/off button and OTT audio/runtime switching options.

Fortunately I bought this from Amazon so my refund has already been approved. Maybe the Pimax 12k qled will be 'Amazing' and worth trying next year?  I'm still glad I gave the Pimax 8kx a go though because I now have a better understanding of how high FOV improves some things, but not everything, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar

Thank you my friend, enough to completely rule that one out for my needs. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

@ohgrant  You're very welcome mate.  Hopefully Pimax and others will come good in the near future, esp. now that I'm +65yo so I can't wait forever, lol! 

I'm not sure if your signature is up to date but if it is then I think that you may be better off upgrading your PC as much as you can afford (preferably intel/nvidia for the best PCVR imho).  This will allow you to get the best out of whatever VR headsets you currently use and be better ready for true gen2 headsets in the next year or two.  Actually, the Q2 is still a good one to consider.  With a good, recommended router/wifi setup it's fantastic imho.

I upgraded my desktop pc almost 3 years ago now with a z390mb, i9 9900k water cooled oc 5Ghz, 32Gb 3000 ram, and included to this build a gtx1080ti and corsair 750w psu that I already had and was using with an Alienware graphics amplifier with my Alienware 17r4 so-called gaming laptop.  I then added a rtx3090 14 months ago (probably overkill but it was the only GPU I could source locally at the time.  A rtx3080 may have worked as well) and I think this has made a world of difference.  I've never enjoyed PCVR more since then.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ride out the nvidia 4000 series (like I did with the nvidia 2000 series) and wait for the 5000 series in a few years time.  At that point I'll probably look at another major pc upgrade.

ohgrant
Superstar

Haven't updated my sig yet, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2080ti in February. Everything I play now is performing great on G2 and Quest and I don't see anything on the horizon that gives me confidence that PCVR will be a reason to upgrade any further.

Of course that could and hopefully will change so I'm still following where the hardware is going. I like what I'm reading about the next gen NVidia card performance wise. The 4090 said to be twice as fast as the 3090, 4070 to be pretty equivalent to a 3090. AMD's RDNA 3 sounds like a real generational leap and we may have have multi-GPU type performance out of a single card and that performance baked in the driver so won't rely on developer support.   

Also with DDR5 boards still maturing and Intel coming on the scene, I think a historically bad time to make any next system decisions and I plan on waiting at least a year to see how it all plays out. 

A generational leap in performance could bring PCVR back in the limelight and we may see a huge resurgence of quality PCVR content. I would then certainly consider building a new one. 

Right now PC3D is equally important to me, I haven't played a flat 2D game in 25-30 years and have no intention of starting. The 2080ti is the final card to have full 3D vision support so if there is no 3D and no new PCVR on the horizon, then I don't have any need for the next gen system. 

PSVR seems real promising so there is hope for future immersive gaming there too.  

As far as going Intel/NVidia, I can't say for sure I'll be going with that advise at all even though it's my most used route.  the AMD R9 390 served me well during the DK2 and early CV1 days and I couldn't be more impressed with how the 2700X has served me through PCVR gen 1.5. I certainly will not be excluding AMD from consideration until the time comes. 

@ohgrant  Ya, the 2080ti is still a good gpu and also has the faster encoders and Vram, so you're probably fine to wait until the nvidia 4000 series come out.  At that time you may need to look at upgrading other things like MB, CPU, ram, and psu, in order to get the best out of a series 4000 gpu.  As far as AMD goes, their CPU's are probably fine to consider but not their GPU's imho.  Maybe that'll change in the future, who knows?  Cheers mate.

PS.  Update your signature, lol!  Also, PC3D (like 3D TV) is dead to me now.  I still occasionally use trackIR 5 sometimes though.  PC3D requires very old nvidia drivers to work and this is not great for system security imho.  Like everything, up to you to decide what's best.  Cheers.