cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: Your position on Facebook integration

Cosmic_Gate
Protege
I feel it is inevitable that Facebook will soon become more involved in how Oculus does its business and how you use your Rift.

Some of us feel very strongly about how this will play out for us as the end users. Personally, I am wary about this partnership. I feel that any aspect of Facebook should be optional to the user. I do not want to 'sign in' to use my Rift, nor do I want to feel I am being 'mined' whenever I use my headset. How this all plays out will be a hugely important factor in my decision to continue with Oculus post CV1.
19 REPLIES 19

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star
Apart from the fact that you start your post with an assumption (why would Facebook get involved with how Oculus runs their business SOON? They can afford to wait until the bad blood of the messy launch is out of the picture) I voted that it should be optional. 

IF it is made optional it can be seen as a feature (for those interested) 

if it is made mandatory it will be seen as a disadvantage by a lot of people. 

Regardless, if there is one thing Oculus needs soon it's more communication options. 
VOIP, IM, friendlist functionalities in Oculus Home are all things that are sorely missing now. 

(I would be enjoying Blazerush EVEN MORE if I could interact with the other players! as right now you can't even GG someone)

Cosmic_Gate
Protege

Apart from the fact that you start your post with an assumption (why would Facebook get involved with how Oculus runs their business SOON? They can afford to wait until the bad blood of the messy launch is out of the picture) I voted that it should be optional. 

Regardless, if there is one thing Oculus needs soon it's more communication options. 
VOIP, IM, friendlist functionalities in Oculus Home are all things that are sorely missing now. 

(I would be enjoying Blazerush EVEN MORE if I could interact with the other players! as right now you can't even GG someone)

More of a personal opinion than an assumption - but I think Facebook will do exactly that sooner than any of us think 🙂

Unfortunately.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

More of a personal opinion than an assumption - but I think Facebook will do exactly that sooner than any of us think 🙂

Unfortunately.

Could be, I'm sure they'll have a hell of a time selling Oculus Gen2 to anyone if they integrate with FB too much.

christopherbarn
Adventurer
There are enough real problems in the word, no need to invent things to be afraid of...

Cosmic_Gate
Protege

There are enough real problems in the word, no need to invent things to be afraid of...

For me it's not at all about fear, it's about practicality.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

For me it's not at all about fear, it's about practicality.

Then why the impractical fear? 😮

Cosmic_Gate
Protege

Unfortunately.

Could be, I'm sure they'll have a hell of a time selling Oculus Gen2 to anyone if they integrate with FB too much.

Depends. Judging by Zuckerberg's comments, gamers might not be the target audience for Gen2...

vrmower
Heroic Explorer
My prediction Oculus will likely back off slightly from current Rift = managed service thinking becoming more open with standalone HMD driver downloads separate from the home/facebook ecosystem.

They are the king right now yet they know full well real competition is coming.  If they try to leverage their position with vertical integration power plays market is likely to move on without them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Facebook owns Oculus for a reason. At some point they are going to want to offer their services on the HMD. I think that's reasonable and inevitable. The social aspect of Oculus home is pretty lame right now. There are many who would probably love Facebook integration. Personally I do not want to be forced to login to a Facebook account to use the Rift. That would be a big deal breaker for me. More than it's creepy tracking I just don't value the Facebook social graph. Like many I feel a certain obligation to accept friend requests from co-workers, weird uncles, acquaintances, etc. With many of these people I don't want to share the escapist/gaming parts of my life. I think dedicated gaming social networks work better since you are coalescing around a shared interest instead of just being someone you know. Sure there would probably be settings to control how much is shared, but I'd prefer to just not be logged in to Facebook at all. There is some precedent for this. Instagram for instance allows you to link your Facebook account but does not require it.