cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA Heads-up (re face proximity sensor) just in case for those who missed it

kernow
Heroic Explorer
Just in case someone else, besides myself, missed this detail:
When the Oculus Rift CV1 is not on your face, a sensor detects this, and turns the HMD display and tracking off.

Spent a few hours yesterday trying to figure out why nothing was working when everything had been working before. I was starting a 3rd party app outside of Home, and, as I did with DK1 and DK2, I would look at the lenses to see if the Rift had turned-on before putting it on my head (the logic being, no sense in putting a turned-off HMD on your face if it is obviously not on). Of course, if the CV1 turns the display off when not on a face, it isn't going to be obviously on, and since I didn't think it was on (and was unaware that it turns the display off), I didn't put it on my face (if I had, I would have then notice it turn-on). Sort of a catch-22 stalemate via ignorance on my part (which was resulting in me getting increasing annoyed, reinstalling everything, including system drivers, etc.). I'm sure there must have been some notification about this during
initial runtime setup, but I have no clue where as I completely missed
it.

Hopefully this post will help someone else out to avoid the frustration and extra work trying to fix a non-broken problem that I went through.

3 REPLIES 3

water_
Adventurer
It doesn't turn it all the way off because mine will stay very warm all day with no one touching it or putting it on.

maxpare79
Trustee
if you don't close oculus home it will stay on
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

r00x
Adventurer

water_ said:

It doesn't turn it all the way off because mine will stay very warm all day with no one touching it or putting it on.

Yeah all it seems to do is turn off the panels to preserve them. The rest of the headset is up and running, for the most part.